• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

If Bernie Pulls Hillary Way To The Left Does That Help Her or Hurt Her?

If Bernie pulls Hillary way to the left does that help her or hurt her against Trump?

• Helps

Votes: 13 40.6%
  • Hurts

Votes: 9 28.1%
  • Wash/Don't know

Votes: 10 31.3%

• Total voters
Typical Hillary just skirts around all the issues and says nothing of any consequence. She generally says that she will look into it. Bernie Sanders spelled it all out.

I'm no big Hillary fan, but yer not offering anything to support this criticism.

The first issue you mentioned was Citizens United. What is unclear to you regarding her position on that? Here's a statement she made more than a year ago:

"I will do everything I can to appoint Supreme Court justices who protect the right to vote and do not protect the right of billionaires to buy elections." — "Clinton in Iowa: 'I am going into this race with my eyes wide open'," McClatchyDC.com, May 18, 2015​

"Hillary Clinton Says Citizens United Would Guide Supreme Court Picks," NYT, May 19, 2015

I'm no big Hillary fan, but yer not offering anything to support this criticism.

I had no doubt that Hillary had said something about Citizens United. But, I am not surprised that Hillary gave no particulars.

Bernie's Gang want publically financed elections.

It seems to me that Hillary is just suggesting that she will "Tinker" around the edges of the issue, without substantive change.

I don't mean to pick on Hillary. She is doing what every politician does.

Obama was quite good at "Tinkering" when he ran in 2008-12.

Calm

I had no doubt that Hillary had said something about Citizens United.

Well, you asked what her position on it is. Her pointing to it as a litmus test for SCOTUS appointments seems like a strong and clear statement to me.

>>I am not surprised that Hillary gave no particulars. Bernie's Gang want publically financed elections.

First, I hope you won't be offended by my noting that it's "publicly." I'm a copyeditor, and I'm driven to try to break people of bad habits. Yer spelling of that word suggests to me that yer a very good speller (using the standard "ally" suffix), so I'm simply reminding you of the exception in this case.

Secondly, it looks like yer asking about specifics on campaign finance reform. I expect you may well be correct, that she is short on those. I have long been a very strong supporter of public funding of (at least) presidential and congressional elections, and half or more of the electorate agrees. But I suppose she figures it's better to keep her distance from that, as it may be unpopular with some moderates and Independents, and it might hurt her efforts to gather large campaign donations — so-called "big cash."

>>It seems to me that Hillary is just suggesting that she will "Tinker" around the edges of the issue, without substantive change.

Sounds like her style. She strikes me as a moderate.

>>I don't mean to pick on Hillary. She is doing what every politician does.

I agree.

>>Obama was quite good at "Tinkering" when he ran in 2008-12.

And perhaps not coincidentally at getting elected/reelected. Of course that cuts both ways, as it left him with a weaker mandate for more fundamental changes.

The other big problem with Hillary on electoral reform, besides the tepid lipservice towards repealing Citizens United (which didn't even hit her radar until Bernie brought it up repeatedly) and lack of commitment to publicly financed elections is the way she has not at all acknowledged or sought to remedy the problem of original sin/the disastrous ruling of Buckley v. Valeo: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buckley_v._Valeo , or professional lobbying.

First, I hope you won't be offended by my noting that it's "publicly."

Yuh know, I was suspicious of the spelling when typing the post, but when it passed "Spellcheck", well I let it slip.

Calm

Back
Top Bottom