• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

If all the democrats voted for wall funding before Trump?

MrShangles

DP Veteran
Reaction score
All the top democrats said we needed border protection, but along comes Trump and some miracle happened and they no longer want border protection.
My Question. If they oked it then what happened to the billions they had then, where did it go, what was it spent on?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All the top democrats said we needed border protection, but along comes Trump and some miracle happened and they no longer want border protection.
My Question. If they oked it then what happened to the billions they had then, where did it go, what was it spent on?

We do need border protection/security. We don't need the Wall across the entire Southern Border or are we down to 500 miles of a beaded curtain now.

We do need border protection/security. We don't need the Wall across the entire Southern Border or are we down to 500 miles of a beaded curtain now.

Ok we keep hearing we don’t need a wall for protection we have other ways, that’s all we hear, what are those other ways? They voted years ago for border protection, so where are those other ways, why haven’t they been put in action?
So along comes Trump to say we need protection I’m building a wall!
He’s the kind to get things done, not talk about it for years, then vote on it and get the go ahead and we are still hearing we have better ways for more years. It’s time to stop pushing it down the road.
If there is a better way than a wall then lay it out and let’s decide on one. But we gotta do something other than talk about it for even more years!

You’re conflating border protection with the wall. Dems (and most Americans) want improved border protection. Dems (many Republicans, and most Americans) don’t want Trump’s wall.

It never was to be the entire length of the Southern border - ever.

You’re conflating border protection with the wall. Dems (and most Americans) want improved border protection. Dems (many Republicans, and most Americans) don’t want Trump’s wall.

So where is the border protection they voted for, where’s that money, why hasn’t those other methods been implemented?
Us Trumpsters don’t trust democrats as far as we can throw them. Trump is here to get the job done, not just talk about it during election time. If democrats have such a good idea for border protection then they should lay it all out and let’s see. But it’s gotta be in the real world, not some fairy tail land. Like Pelosi said we need to cut the grass along the border.

How much staff would it take to monitor 1,500 miles of wall, assuming at least 1 person per every 150 yards or so? How much to house them, feed them, insure them, etc? Would they be armed? How much would they each make annually? Would they be full time? Who watches it on their days off? Or after their shift ends?

So where is the border protection they voted for, where’s that money, why hasn’t those other methods been implemented?
Us Trumpsters don’t trust democrats as far as we can throw them. Trump is here to get the job done, not just talk about it during election time. If democrats have such a good idea for border protection then they should lay it all out and let’s see. But it’s gotta be in the real world, not some fairy tail land. Like Pelosi said we need to cut the grass along the border.

I'll let this guy explain how it's going to work:

A better question is why hasn’t Trump spent the $1.3B he was given in the 2018 budget?

Money has been spent securing our southern border. $9.7B since 2007, actually.

EVERYONE wants border protection and security....but a barrier/wall is not going to do it, as clearly explained by the people who study it and understand the issues. This is little more than an Ego/Campaign promise that has grown out of control.

You're missing an important concept: Supporting Border Security does not necessarily mean supporting building a portion of Trump's wall.

Can you point to any reputable studies which show Trump's wall is a cost effective strategy for limiting illegal immigration and drug smuggling? Because until you can, you would have to be an idiot to support spending $5b on something you don't even know will work.

EVERYONE wants border protection and security....but a barrier/wall is not going to do it, as clearly explained by the people who study it and understand the issues. This is little more than an Ego/Campaign promise that has grown out of control.

That's my take as well. I'm still waiting to see the reputable study which shows Trump's wall is a cost effective means of achieving it's stated goals.

Has Trump really suggested building this very expensive structure without a clue as to whether it will work? My guess would be yes, because it's not his money so he just doesn't give a fark.

Democrats are for border security, they have never thought a WALL is a good idea.

Dems did vote for a section of dual barrier fencing at one time, true. From what I understand, it was strategically located. Not sure what ever became of it.

That said, if Trump is not wanting a wall all across the entire southern border, where is he wanting it, and how much does he want? Can we at least have those basics before we complain about not having to spend $5B on a vague idea?

Why does the Chief of Border Patrol say they work and that she wants more walls? Who are your experts? Because I think I'm going to put the greatest amount of weight on the boots on the ground.
Where the wall got rushed a few weeks ago when the caravan arrived was an old portion that they could physically tear down. Where the wall wasn't breached was where it was newer, stronger and intact.

That's my take as well. I'm still waiting to see the reputable study which shows Trump's wall is a cost effective means of achieving it's stated goals.

Has Trump really suggested building this very expensive structure without a clue as to whether it will work? My guess would be yes, because it's not his money so he just doesn't give a fark.

You will not find such a study as every study or report done shows the opposite.

Can you provide actual details about the wall they wanted, how much they wanted to pay for it as well as any legislative compromises needed to get to that agreement?

Why does the Chief of Border Patrol say they work and that she wants more walls? Who are your experts? Because I think I'm going to put the greatest amount of weight on the boots on the ground.
Where the wall got rushed a few weeks ago when the caravan arrived was an old portion that they could physically tear down. Where the wall wasn't breached was where it was newer, stronger and intact.

Please provide the data that supports your claim.

The Fox News piece has no confirmation to be had.

I do not want to pay for a transcript

How much staff would it take to monitor 1,500 miles of wall, assuming at least 1 person per every 150 yards or so? How much to house them, feed them, insure them, etc? Would they be armed? How much would they each make annually? Would they be full time? Who watches it on their days off? Or after their shift ends?

There will not be 1500 miles of wall. The real question is how much staff does it take to police an open border with no barrier - an ICE station every 100 feet?

Security is always about creating delay allowing reaction and response time. Without a barrier, the time it takes to cross the border on dry land is exactly how long it takes to take 1 step. Video cameras, drones and motion detectors do not slow anyone down in the slightest.

Democrats are for border security, they have never thought a WALL is a good idea.

The Democratic Party is not for border security. By definition, opposition to the wall is in support of an open border. Their claim of supporting border security is no different that someone claiming they support home security - while removing all the doors.

Please provide the data that supports your claim.

The Fox News piece has no confirmation to be had.

I do not want to pay for a transcript

Found it....not "The Wall" but barriers in places they have had issues.....pretty much what has and is happening for decades.

There will not be 1500 miles of wall. The real question is how much staff does it take to police an open border with no barrier - an ICE station every 100 feet?

Security is always about creating delay allowing reaction and response time. Without a barrier, the time it takes to cross the border on dry land is exactly how long it takes to take 1 step. Video cameras, drones and motion detectors do not slow anyone down in the slightest.
Nor do they catch them.

Found it....not "The Wall" but barriers in places they have had issues.....pretty much what has and is happening for decades.

No, she's advocating for MORE barrier and fixing existing ones. She wants barriers in places which do not have them now.
I don't care what any swamp creature has to say. I'll take her word and the word of other people who live this every single day.

It never was to be the entire length of the Southern border - ever.

Really...add much! 1,100 miles plus the approximately 700 miles of border physical barrier is 1,900 miles. The Southern border is 1954 miles long. Trump has been yammering about 1,100 miles of new border wall. In fact the proposal working its way up out of DHS, much affected by Trump is for 1,100 miles of new border physical barrier.

Back
Top Bottom