• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

If all firearms disappeared tomorrow would crime go down permanently? Or would the criminals eventually substitute other weapons to commit crimes?

Would the total elimination of firearms reduce crime?

• Total voters
With all due respect, I was awarded the Bronze Star medal because I put my K-bar in a young Iraqi Soldier's throat and the operation we were on happened. I've had to live with it ever since.

That's why threads like this from people who never served, piss me off.
Sounds more like you're bragging. Getting pissed off at posters having an opinion different from yours, is your problem. Whether someone served or not, is not only none of your business, it's irrelevant to the thread.

Sounds more like you're bragging. Getting pissed off at posters having an opinion different from yours, is your problem. Whether someone served or not, is not only none of your business, it's irrelevant to the thread.
Off-topic comments with his constantly going on for no reason, other than arguing (hijacking the thread) is not something most want to respond. It cuts off the discussion of the topic at hand. You said your piece, and as to more comments in that vein are off-topic, doing the same.

Many people thinks guns are the main factor in crimes. What if they did not exist? Would criminals just substitute other weapons and commit just as many robberies, murders, rapes, etc, using knives, mace, machetes, cars, their hands and other weapons? Would there be just as many crimes and murders per year using other weapons? Let's hear your input!
How are y'all going to collect all the guns?

Better question: How many angels can stand on the head of a pin?

Wow.

You know, it takes a lot to surprise me these days, but 31 votes for the first choice is pretty damn surprising. lol

Wow.

You know, it takes a lot to surprise me these days, but 31 votes for the first choice is pretty damn surprising. lol
The first choice is the wrong answer & I find it sad and disappointing that so many got the wrong answer, but I don't find this sort of thing surprising anymore.

Reactions: Ren
A lesser weapon would be less effective than a gun. Mass knifers are less effective than mass shooters.

There would be less murder. Other crimes probably wouldn't change much, and might even increase.

I would personally start training with a sword.
Im an expert shot with a recurve bow. If i didnt have a gun to defend my home.....id grab my Bob Lee recurve and the bad guy would get a razor broadhead....through the head.

Do you think people who are hell bent on killing ALOT of people at once could do it without guns? Some have killed ALOT of people by running them over with vehicles. Some have used bombs. The Vegas shooter was a pilot. He could have crashed a plane into that concert crowd. Do you see why I posed this question? Does it make any sense to you?
The 911 killers used box cutters. How many did they kill?

The 911 killers used box cutters. How many did they kill?
& laws were passed to prevent a reacurence, not against box cutters, but access to the pilot. It has never happened since.
Guns are killing somebody as I type. As a pilot I get your fear of no cutters, but I’ll bet you don’t encourage guns on board either.

Many people thinks guns are the main factor in crimes. What if they did not exist? Would criminals just substitute other weapons and commit just as many robberies, murders, rapes, etc, using knives, mace, machetes, cars, their hands and other weapons? Would there be just as many crimes and murders per year using other weapons? Let's hear your input!

Why is your question only in regard to crime?

Guns kill in all kinds of ways.
We tend to think of crime as premeditated. Lots of dead husbands and wives, neighbors every day dead because gun are so handy.
Suicides will fall as well.

There would be a drastic decline in violent death in America if guns were made illegal.

Ask your question honestly.

There weren't any firearms less than a thousand years ago and humans found innovative ways to kill one another. Not as many of course. It just took longer to murder tens of thousands.
Look what happened in Rwanda and Uganda not too long ago.

Why is your question only in regard to crime?

Guns kill in all kinds of ways.
We tend to think of crime as premeditated. Lots of dead husbands and wives, neighbors every day dead because gun are so handy.
Suicides will fall as well.

There would be a drastic decline in violent death in America if guns were made illegal.

Ask your question honestly.
Where is Harry Potter with his magic wand when you need him?
Or Dr.Strange who seems to be able to do anything he wants?

Imagining this country without guns is like imagining we never had slavery and all of our stupid prejudices suddenly went away.

& laws were passed to prevent a reacurence, not against box cutters, but access to the pilot. It has never happened since.
Guns are killing somebody as I type. As a pilot I get your fear of no cutters, but I’ll bet you don’t encourage guns on board either.

@Antiwar

Thought you said anti gun zealots don't make this stupid assertion?

Im an expert shot with a recurve bow. If i didnt have a gun to defend my home.....id grab my Bob Lee recurve and the bad guy would get a razor broadhead....through the head.

Good luck with that when he's 5 feet away from you.

We tend to think of crime as premeditated
All crime is premeditated. I don't believe in "crime of passion" bullshit. Before you victimize someone or kill yourself you have to make a conscious decision to do it, period.

I'm retired now, but when I was an active pilot, I was totally in favor of armed pilots.

I even had a proposal, not only to arm pilots but make them Federal LEOs while on duty.

I'm retired now, but when I was an active pilot, I was totally in favor of armed pilots.

I even had a proposal, not only to arm pilots but make them Federal LEOs while on duty.
I always thought that firing a gun inside a pressurized airplane cockpit could be very bad, no?

Here is your answer:

https://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/local/deadly-traffic-cone-beating-north-philadelphia/3293913/

Also consider this. The other day in Japan former prime minister Abe was assassinated by a man who had a homemade shotgun. Japan a nation with strict gun restrictions and a very much non violent society, and still where there is will, there will be a way for any criminal to do harm.
Gee, looks as if we need to ban traffic cones as well. If it wasn't for that cone, that guy would still be alive. Cones are evil.

Guns make killing easier, so I assume their would be a decline in the homicide rate and some robberies, but also assume rates for other crimes might stay the same.

I always thought that firing a gun inside a pressurized airplane cockpit could be very bad, no?
If you're referring to explosive decompression, Mythbusters busted it:

There is only one thing that will make crime go down permanently. Because a very large percentage of crime is committed by repeat offenders, the best way to deter crime is to lock them up and not release them. If they are not released, they cannot be a repeat offender.

Shinzo Abe was killed by a homemade firearm using duct tape, wood, pipes, and some electrical wiring.

Back
Top Bottom