• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

If all firearms disappeared tomorrow would crime go down permanently? Or would the criminals eventually substitute other weapons to commit crimes?

Would the total elimination of firearms reduce crime?

• Total voters
Why not think of "Better Educating People, by changing the early education to give strong emphasis on teaching: civics, cultural arts, sociology, and psychology and critical thinking skill training, and ethics and civil processes... The Bible is a Good Book of Principles and Values, for helping develop a spiritual understanding of morality of individual conscience.
I think it would produce a far better society for future generations.
The bible has sewn more hate than love over time.

The bible has sewn more hate than love over time.
Ok...
So, within the Education System, let's go with:
  • Why not think of "Better Educating People, by changing the early education to give strong emphasis on teaching: civics, cultural arts, sociology, and psychology and critical thinking skill training, and ethics and civil processes...

Many people thinks guns are the main factor in crimes. What if they did not exist? Would criminals just substitute other weapons and commit just as many robberies, murders, rapes, etc, using knives, mace, machetes, cars, their hands and other weapons? Would there be just as many crimes and murders per year using other weapons? Let's hear your input!
They would change over. But it would take some time. And it takes a long time to kill 19 kids and 2 teachers with a knife. Plus one can improvise shields against knives. Swarm a knife wielded. Not so much with an AR.

Good point so maybe. Remember there are no guns. The cops dont have any either......How about this.....What if instead of a knife he blows up a school bus?
Takes some skill, access to explosives or sketchy amateur manufacture of explosives, comes with the risk of winning a Darwin.

So not anywhere near as easy as walking into a gun store.

That was never an issue of contention.

Now you're claiming that it's not guns, but law and order. These are not synonymous, nor are these are accurate.

1. There were laws before firearms

2. The deadliest conflicts on human history occurred after the invention of firearms.

And far more conflicts without firearms happened in history. In which people were more likely to die. In addition to the increased risk of death from non conflict death. Before firearms. The tool is irrelevant.

Many people thinks guns are the main factor in crimes. What if they did not exist? Would criminals just substitute other weapons and commit just as many robberies, murders, rapes, etc, using knives, mace, machetes, cars, their hands and other weapons? Would there be just as many crimes and murders per year using other weapons? Let's hear your input!

It would be great if there was some realism in this.
Guns are not going to "disappear" any more than pot was "going to disappear".

There would be less murder. Other crimes probably wouldn't change much, and might even increase.

I would personally start training with a sword.
Yup. Killing some guy on a whim would be very hard. That's a huge plus.

Yup. Killing some guy on a whim would be very hard. That's a huge plus.

Nah. I would be harder, on average, but not "very hard." And I have no reason to believe that any significant percentage of killings are committed "on a whim."

Nah. I would be harder, on average, but not "very hard." And I have no reason to believe that any significant percentage of killings are committed "on a whim."
really? i recommend you to watch the series the sinner, its well explained there.

really? i recommend you to watch the series the sinner, its well explained there.

You want me to get information about the real world from a fictional TV show?

SMFH.

Why not think of "Better Educating People, by changing the early education to give strong emphasis on teaching: civics, cultural arts, sociology, and psychology and critical thinking skill training, and ethics and civil processes... The Bible is a Good Book of Principles and Values, for helping develop a spiritual understanding of morality of individual conscience.
I think it would produce a far better society for future generations.
I'm for doing that too.

And far more conflicts without firearms happened in history.

Now you're all over the place. The technological process and evolution that led to firearms is irrelevant to the proclivity for violence throughout history.

In which people were more likely to die. In addition to the increased risk of death from non conflict death. Before firearms. The tool is irrelevant.

Nowhere in this disjointed argument is proof that firearms led to a decline in violence.

Thats not a good comparison. The U.S. has more hardened criminals per capita.
ThAts a side effect of locking people up in unnatural environments for as long as possible. And then making it as hard as possible to re-assimilate.

There’s definitely an aspect of job security in the way it all works. Propaganda value too.

Now you're all over the place. The technological process and evolution that led to firearms is irrelevant to the proclivity for violence throughout history.

Nowhere in this disjointed argument is proof that firearms led to a decline in violence.
ok

Don't you think the cops would have saved some of the school kids if crazy dude had a knife instead.
Or, he could have killed many more with some fertilizer, diesel, etc. McVeigh style.

Or, he could have killed many more with some fertilizer, diesel, etc. McVeigh style.
Yeh, can see kids wheeling in barrels of fertilizer and kerosene now😃. Do you actually believe this shtuff or do you have 🦊 on in the background?

If the 18th Amendment was not a huge failure, I would want the 2nd Amendment to be repealed. Nobody ever benefits from having any type of gun for any reason except troops in combat. This will remain my position as long as the bullets are deadly objects.

If the 18th Amendment was not a huge failure, I would want the 2nd Amendment to be repealed. Nobody ever benefits from having any type of gun for any reason except troops in combat. This will remain my position as long as the bullets are deadly objects.
The criminals benefit.....

if it is possible to get a gun where their manufacture and imports are illegal.
I could make a gun with a Bridgeport & other small shop machines. I couldn't make Bullets. Now actually one of those newfangled 3D printers is all you need.

Takes some skill, access to explosives or sketchy amateur manufacture of explosives, comes with the risk of winning a Darwin.

So not anywhere near as easy as walking into a gun store.
Takes google and a nearby hardware store.

Back
Top Bottom