• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

*IF* absolute gun control advocates got their wish...

radcen

Phonetic Mnemonic ©
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
*IF* absolute gun control advocates got their wish... and all guns were made illegal. Right now.

What would happen?

1) Would law-abiding citizens rush to turn their guns in?

2) Would YOU turn your gun(s) in?

3) Would crime stop?

4) Would crime at least lessen? If so, how much? (Guess)

5) Would terroristic and/or mass shootings stop?

6) Would terroristic and/or mass shootings at least lessen? If so, how much? (Guess)

7) Would police lose feeling the need to be militantly reactive?

8) Would/could we reduce the size and scope of police forces?

9) Would society be better off, or dare I say... happier?

*IF* absolute gun control advocates got their wish... and all guns were made illegal. Right now.

What would happen?

3) Would crime stop?

6) Would terroristic and/or mass shootings at least lessen? If so, how much? (Guess)

1 - maybe.Some will and some won't. Although by definition if they didn't turn in their guns then they wouldn't be law abiding citizens this is of course if the 2nd amendment was overturned.If the 2nd amendment was not overturned then they would still be law abiding citizens for not turning something in that the highest law in the land says they have a right to.

2 - 8 the answer is no.Criminals will not turn in their guns.Crime did not stop in countries that practically banned firearms, many would argue that violent crime went up in those countries after all criminals love easy targets.All the gun control laws in Frances did not stop those terrorist attacks.Plus should it actually be impossible for a terrorist to get a gun that terrorist will resort to other means of killing people.

1 - maybe.Some will and some won't. Although by definition if they didn't turn in their guns then they wouldn't be law abiding citizens this is of course if the 2nd amendment was overturned.If the 2nd amendment was not overturned then they would still be law abiding citizens for not turning something in that the highest law in the land says they have a right to.

2 - 8 the answer is no.Criminals will not turn in their guns.Crime did not stop in countries that practically banned firearms, many would argue that violent crime went up in those countries after all criminals love easy targets.All the gun control laws in Frances did not stop those terrorist attacks.Plus should it actually be impossible for a terrorist to get a gun that terrorist will resort to other means of killing people.
The question presumes the 2A is overturned/repealed.

The question regards the deeper aspects of compliance and real-world effects if people of a given desire were to get their way. The thread is not about the particulars of how or why we got there.

If it were to happen, I wouldn't want to be a politician or someone charged with enforcing the law.

What would happen?

Not sure if they'd "rush," but if they're law-abiding, they would by definition go to wherever they were instructed and surrender their guns before the deadline.

I don't have any.

3) Would crime stop?
Certainly not. Organized criminals would not turn in their guns, and besides there's plenty of nonviolent crime.

Probably would be a wash, since a black market for firearms would spring up quickly.

No.

There would be far fewer "lone wolf" shootings, and planned terror attacks would be slightly more difficult. I'd guess a 20-30% drop overall.

Their tactics would have to change. I don't know if this would have any effect on a need to be "militantly reactive."

Unlikely.

Those who enjoy hunting birds or big game would be unhappy.

What would happen?

Probably not. You'd get some. Not the criminals.

I honestly couldn't be sure. My instinct is to keep the weapons.

3) Would crime stop?

:2funny:

4) Would crime at least lessen?
6) Would terroristic and/or mass shootings at least lessen?

:lol: These are all jokes, right? :)

What would happen?

This country would go to hell in a handbasket. I don't think these ****ing idiots know what they're playing with.

No, Law-abiding citizens don't even rush to comply with registration laws, as seen in New York and Connecticut.

Absolutely no, under no circumstances.

3) Would crime stop?

Crime would get worse.

Violating the human right to keep and bear arms, at least in this country, would lead to a surge in terrorism and mass shootings.

Don't delude yourself. Police brutality has never been about police feeling threatened. It's about the power disparity between the police and the citizens, which is why police are most brutal only with the most vulnerable citizens. Increasing the relative power of the police at the expense of the population will lead to more police brutality, not less.

You'd need more police to enforce the new gun laws.

Well, I imagine some segments of the population would be happier. I might be happier, for however long I survived. But I'd say that the vast majority of the population would be much, much worse.

What would happen?

3) Would crime stop?

It wouldn't bother me or affect me in the slightest. Also plenty of other ways to defend myself, but I've never encountered such a situation before so it's not likely to happen.

It wouldn't bother me or affect me in the slightest. Also plenty of other ways to defend myself, but I've never encountered such a situation before so it's not likely to happen.
when the Nazis came for the Trade unionists-I didn't object since I wasn't in a union

when the Nazis came for the Jews-I didn't object because I wasn't Jewish..............

when the Nazis came for the Trade unionists-I didn't object since I wasn't in a union

when the Nazis came for the Jews-I didn't object because I wasn't Jewish..............

Despite the foolishness of this weird post and that you had to revert to nazis symbolism to make a crude point.

You realize you defend someone who's campaign is really similar to that political party you just mentioned right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Despite the foolishness of this weird post and that you had to revert to nazis symbolism to make a crude point.

You realize you defend someone who's campaign is really similar to that political party you just mentioned right?

I guess you are unaware of the origin of that famous quote

you seem not to care about erosions in civil rights because the right being attacked is one you don't care for (and living in the Peoples Collective of New Jersey-not one you really have anyway)

Sent from my Pond using Turtletalk

I guess you are unaware of the origin of that famous quote

you seem not to care about erosions in civil rights because the right being attacked is one you don't care for (and living in the Peoples Collective of New Jersey-not one you really have anyway)

Sent from my Pond using Turtletalk

What the heck makes you think I have never heard that pointless ramble before? I have heard it plenty of times from tea partiers to gun nuts and conspiracy theorists alike. Still waiting for it to happen and no one has come for your guns yet, right? So no I'm not concerned with things that won't likely happen

As I have frequently mentioned as well as its in my profile on here. I am not a political activist.

What the heck makes you think I have never heard that pointless ramble before? I have heard it plenty of times from tea partiers to gun nuts and conspiracy theorists alike. Still waiting for it to happen and no one has come for your guns yet, right? So no I'm not concerned with things that won't likely happen

As I have frequently mentioned as well as its in my profile on here. I am not a political activist.

so you think no one wants to ban guns

That sort of stupid claim is pretty sad given what was done in New Jersey by the scum sucker Florio

What would happen?

3) Would crime stop?

Many would. Many would not. Hard to guess percentages.

2) Would YOU turn your gun(s) in? Very unlikely.

3) Would crime stop? Hell no. It would probably get worse, criminals would still get guns and know their odds of running into an armed victim were greatly reduced.

See above. In short, no. It would probably get worse. Studies suggest defensive gun use exceeds criminal gun use by somewhere between 1.6x and 8x.

5) Would terroristic and/or mass shootings stop? Hell no. Remember Charlie Hebdo? How did the Jihadi's get assault weapons in France? Illegally.

6) Would terroristic and/or mass shootings at least lessen? If so, how much? (Guess) Doubtful. Maybe SHOOTINGS might decline SLIGHTLy, but stabbings and bombings might go up more.

No because most criminals would still be armed.

8) Would/could we reduce the size and scope of police forces? No as crime would probably worsen.

About the same as throwing a thin, threadbare veil over a pile of dog **** would make it stink less.

so you think no one wants to ban guns

That sort of stupid claim is pretty sad given what was done in New Jersey by the scum sucker Florio

Thanks for putting words in my mouth but once again you are wrong. No one wants to ban all guns and even if they did. Wouldn't you guys get what you've always wanted anyway? An uprising militia made by a bunch of people with guns??? Yeah that's going to end well hehe

I'll just watch and laugh

Thanks for putting words in my mouth but once again you are wrong. No one wants to ban all guns and even if they did. Wouldn't you guys get what you've always wanted anyway? An uprising militia made by a bunch of people with guns??? Yeah that's going to end well hehe

I'll just watch and laugh

I think you would hide in the closet and tremble myself :mrgreen:

but the fact is, while no one ADMITS to wanting to ban all guns, I guess you don't understand that those who think banning some guns will decrease crime (especially those firearms rarely used in crime) do think that that banning guns far more used in crime (Handguns) will decrease crime even more

I think you would hide in the closet and tremble myself :mrgreen:

So you think all people who don't have guns are cowards and cannot properly defend themselves?? There's been couple of great militia fights over the years and each one was more ridiculous and funny than the last.

So you think all people who don't have guns are cowards and cannot properly defend themselves?? There's been couple of great militia fights over the years and each one was more ridiculous and funny than the last.
Which of the militia fights in the last, say 100 years, did the militia not have guns? How did that work out for them?

Which of the militia fights in the last, say 100 years, did the militia not have guns? How did that work out for them?

You think gun obsessed militias will give up their guns without a fight?? LOL HINT: That's the reason they are in militias!!!!

I think most gun banners are cowards and want to ban guns because they don't like being reminded that they are afraid to make their own personal safety an individual duty-rather they want to outsource that fundamental responsibility as a man to the government.

You think gun obsessed militias will give up their guns without a fight?? LOL HINT: That's the reason they are in militias!!!!

that's the stupidest attempt to refute someone's post while actually agreeing with his point.

How privileged you must be.

Here's what's missing from this thread: A person who believes in gun control coming in and saying something to the effect of, "It'd be great, and here's why..."

Maybe I should have put in in a more generic forum. :shrug:

Here's what's missing from this thread: A person who believes in gun control coming in and saying something to the effect of, "It'd be great, and here's why..."

Maybe I should have put in in a more generic forum. :shrug:

It would be great if gun control worked and here's why, I would like to believe in fairy tales.

Back
Top Bottom