• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

If a woman's right to terminate were overturned

That was my first thought as well. Second thought was "Well obviously; education doesn't buy class".

That is probably because unlike in the past when people of higher education possessed a much broader knowledge base and thus could support their arguments with relevant facts and arguments, without needing top boast, some feel that by proclaiming a high degree in some field lends credibility to their non arguments. That of course begs the question as to the veracity of such proclamations on an anonymous internet forum.

Funny. My best friend has a PhD, and she's never seen the need to try to make me feel 'less than'. I wonder why you did.

Because you made a stupid troll post with a pathetic question. Maybe your friend is your friend and is trying to spare your feelings. hahahah, j/k. But honestly, this thread was started as if it were intended as a flame bait troll thread.

Last edited:
That's funny that you have a PhD in blahty-blah-whatever, yet you frequently don't come off as being any more clever, articulate, or intelligent than me.

That's because some people see only what they want to see.

I find it interesting that the pro-life movement is under the perception that criminalizing abortion would end abortion.

If the right to terminate were taken away, conservatives would not stop pushing the law to make the punishment more and more steep. They would demand more intrusive measures into the lives of women in order to ensure that pregnancy is maintained until labor. They would call for expansion of government powers to accomplish this. Although there are many pro-lifers who are non-religious, the core of the movement started with religion and is maintained by religion; history shows that the hardline religious will not stop until control is absolute in the situations of their choosing.

This is why abortion rights must never be taken away. If you give an inch, they will take a mile. Proof of this is in every hardline-conservative and fascist government that has ever risen in the world whose tenets include reducing womens' rights to nil.

I do wish that abortion didn't have to happen, but it's an imperfect system because humans are imperfect and we make mistakes. I also would rather support the right to abortion than support the expansion of government powers to control women and reduce their civil liberties.

Hi Mr. Shane. Have you had any contact with her since 'back in the day'?

No. I messaged some mutual friends at classmates.com, but no one seems to know where she is, or what last name to look for.

EDIT: I refuse to do facebook.

Last edited:
I never passed high school mathematics and only graduated due to a clerical error. For all the things I'm accused of being on a regular basis, insignificant and unintelligent rarely come up.
Hell, her GED probably means more than my diploma does, if you look at it objectively.

With a GED, you actually have to know the stuff. With a diploma, showing up for class, and doing assignments could get you a good grade. Some states do require testing to graduate now, but not back when I went.

For the record, you and 1069 are two of the more intelligent posters around here.:2razz:

What would all you pro-lifers then do with all the hours you no longer needed to waste preaching on message boards. Would you start tilting at other windmills?

They would ramp up against all those lazy orphans. How many abortions are there in a year? Bound to be a few orphans to push around.

Every law offends someone's moral sensibilities. I think I should have the right to agree with other gentlemen to resolve our disputes with pistols at dawn.

I agree, and I support everyone standing up for what they believe. However, the OP seems to be a bait thread against pro-life individuals.

They would ramp up against all those lazy orphans. How many abortions are there in a year? Bound to be a few orphans to push around.

Pure trolling.

I believe I mentioned that a worthy cause would be making ADOPTION in the US cheaper and easier. It shouldn't take 5 years and $50,000 in legal fees to adopt.

Pure trolling.

I believe I mentioned that a worthy cause would be making ADOPTION in the US cheaper and easier. It shouldn't take 5 years and $50,000 in legal fees to adopt.

It would be also swell if they created barriers from allowing prosepcetive mothers from changing their mind years after the fact and suiing for custody...or from racially motivated barriers that strip minority children out of white homes because...oh yeah...because they are white...

There is a REASON why so many families look overseas to adopt.

Oh, tell me about it, VM. I've seen far too many children hurt by ripping them out of their parents arms to be 'reunited' with their bio people.

Pure trolling.

LMAO Do you really think there are that many people looking to adopt? (year after year)Do you even comprehend how many abortions there are a year just in the US? (over a million) When you consider the amount of abortions that take place, and the amount of people who are willing to adopt, the numbers don't exactly match up.

And just from a sampling of this website you can see that from most conservatives point of view..."once you're born, you're on your own." (as George Carlin once famously joked. )

I know 2 (count them 2) people who were adopted and both were sexually abused, one by the father the other by the uncle. Neither of these women would ever give up a child for adoption considering what happened to them. Adoption is not the answer for many people.

Also criminalizing abortion would not fully stop it. It would just go back to the scary ugly thing that is used to be and still is in other countries.

LMAO Do you really think there are that many people looking to adopt? (year after year)Do you even comprehend how many abortions there are a year just in the US? (over a million) When you consider the amount of abortions that take place, and the amount of people who are willing to adopt, the numbers don't exactly match up.

And just from a sampling of this website you can see that from most conservatives point of view..."once you're born, you're on your own." (as George Carlin once famously joked. )

I know 2 (count them 2) people who were adopted and both were sexually abused, one by the father the other by the uncle. Neither of these women would ever give up a child for adoption considering what happened to them. Adoption is not the answer for many people.

Also criminalizing abortion would not fully stop it. It would just go back to the scary ugly thing that is used to be and still is in other countries.

Killing babies isn't scary and ugly? I think it is. Inherently.

How many more people would be intrested in adopting if it wasn't outrageously expensive and difficult? You don't know.

Up thread I was asked if I wish I'd been aborted. I didn't answer, but I think I will now.

Being raised by two mentally ill people, undiagnosed and untreated, in my own special hell. Would I wish I'd never been born? I really don't know. There's always been a lot of pain and ugliness in my family.

Ever see Donnie Darko?

There's a world of difference between what we think and hope will happen, and what actually does transpire.

How many more people would be intrested in adopting if it wasn't outrageously expensive and difficult? You don't know.

What would all you pro-lifers then do with all the hours you no longer needed to waste preaching on message boards. Would you start tilting at other windmills?

If Roe v. Wade were overturned, it would become a state issue, so we'd still be arguing about it. The rest of the time I'd be arguing with all the "pro-lifers" who are fine with killing kids as long as they're Muslim.

Abortion isn't pretty, but neither is childbirth. It's very expensive and difficult to rear a child. It's also expensive and difficult to give birth.

Abortion isn't pretty, but neither is childbirth. It's very expensive and difficult to rear a child. It's also expensive and difficult to give birth.

The difference is abortion takes a life, birth is the next step in a new life developing. Both may be hard, but both have the opposite outcome.

Up thread I was asked if I wish I'd been aborted. I didn't answer, but I think I will now.

Being raised by two mentally ill people, undiagnosed and untreated, in my own special hell. Would I wish I'd never been born? I really don't know. There's always been a lot of pain and ugliness in my family.

Ever see Donnie Darko?

There's a world of difference between what we think and hope will happen, and what actually does transpire.

Well if you want to know the answer as to whether or not you wish you were born, kill yourself. If you succeed, I'm willing to say you wish you were never born. But if you can't do it, it's another story.

So what is it, can you hold that razor blade to your wrists and jerk? Or would you go on and try to make the best of the life you've had?

So you prefer the women to die right along with the embryo? BTW baby is a term of endearment, you might as well call it a little sweetie, it would be about the same.

Regardless of the legality of it, abortions happen. Rich countries, poor countries, they happen. In countries where it is legal, its generally a very safe procedure. In countries where it is not safe women often die, to the tune of 70,000 a year.
Do you really want American women to be added to that list? Really??

Unsafe abortions kill 70,000 a year, harm millions | Reuters

I wonder if you would feel differently if you thought that was your sister or your own daughter whose life was at risk.

While the cost may seem high for adoption (which actually ranges around 30-40,000) its really not. My cars are worth more than the high estimate of 50,000 and they're not even that nice. I have three kids and they cost a lot of money, and as they get older, they cost even more, especially if they are involved in activities at school. Kids cost a lot of money, I don't think we should be just handing them over to random people who don't have a bit of money saved up. If a woman wants to give her child up for adoption to people who make less or to family members who make less, that is her choice. But to force women to give birth and hand these helpless people over to those who are barely scarping by and don't know how to safe money...eh? yikes.

If Roe v. Wade were overturned, it would become a state issue, so we'd still be arguing about it. The rest of the time I'd be arguing with all the "pro-lifers" who are fine with killing kids as long as they're Muslim.

Aint that the effed up truth?

Nope. No guarantees. Making it to birth means next to nothing.

The difference is abortion takes a life, birth is the next step in a new life developing. Both may be hard, but both have the opposite outcome.

If you can show which constitutional amendment is the right to abortion then I would agree with you that it is a right,however no such constitutional right exist. If abortion was made illegal I will think its a great day that it would now be illegal to kill a child in the womb. However making abortion illegal doesn't end political forum debates on the issue.

I agree with you. But I also think that scary and ugly things are sometimes necessary, and that they work out for the best.

There's a way to find out. Ease the restrictions on adoption first, and if demand spikes enough to more than accommodate the rate of abortion, then make the argument that adoption is a sufficient alternative. I would still oppose you for philosophical reasons, but your argument would be that much more compelling; you'd practically have me over a barrel.

Back
Top Bottom