• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

IF a civil war really does break out?

What will you be doing if a civil war does break out?

• Total voters
NEVER!! Only thing that should EVER be put on popcorn is melted butter and salt!!!!
If you use coconut oil instead of butter, it takes virtually the same - it's what we used when I had a part-time job in college running a popcorn wagon.

If you use coconut oil instead of butter, it takes virtually the same - it's what we used when I had a part-time job in college running a popcorn wagon.
I use half olive oil and half butter and cook it in coconut oil.

Now I want popcorn.

If I asked everyone here - to give an honest answer - would YOU?

Let's say for the sake of argument, some sort of civil war breaks out (like so many on the Right would like to see).

It might not be military units against military units, but civilian against civilian, or armed militias against the police, national guard, and the military.

Might it be state vs state? Doubtful, but all it takes is for ONE governor to declare independence and empower state law enforcement personnel to take over federal government institutions.

However, my question is not whether YOU believe a civil war will happen, but instead ask, what will YOU be doing if such an event occurs?

Choices above in the poll section.
I'm already in law enforcement and currently in the process of joining the national guard. If civil war breaks out, depending on which side my state chooses, I'll be under orders either by my agency or the Guard if the process goes through.

I'm already in law enforcement and currently in the process of joining the national guard. If civil war breaks out, depending on which side my state chooses, I'll be under orders either by my agency or the Guard if the process goes through.
You could always defect to Canada :cool:

You are assuming a state of peace. If the rightists start an actual civil war and it's ongoing and they're killing people, shooting them, bombing them, etc., en masse, I'd kill those on the initial aggressor side without a twinge of conscience. And I'm a pacifist in that I don't believe in initiating wars and believe in trying not to have them.

But after all, my dad volunteered for WWII though married, too old to be drafted, legally half-blind, and over-weight (remedied before induction), because "Hitler is really doing those terrible things."

If there were an actual civil war started by those right-wing idiots, I'd do no less, though it's unclear to me what I could do at 74.
In My Opinion, this already ongoing civil war isn't going to be a old school behind the lines shootout. It'll be riots, bombings of each others headquarters & abortion clinics, cars, street attacks of individuals & small groups, assassination of sellect persons, like abortion providers & other leaders of both factions.
Throughout the law will still be in effect so anyone out Hunting people of an opposing faction will still be subject to the laws of the land, with various leans, depending on the political makeup locally.

It won't

Its nothing more than a MAGAS wet dream

In My Opinion, this already ongoing civil war isn't going to be a old school behind the lines shootout. It'll be riots, bombings of each others headquarters & abortion clinics, cars, street attacks of individuals & small groups, assassination of sellect persons, like abortion providers & other leaders of both factions.
Throughout the law will still be in effect so anyone out Hunting people of an opposing faction will still be subject to the laws of the land, with various leans, depending on the political makeup locally.

Are you referring to the riots which happened in 2020. My sense is that was more political theater than a civil war.

Let's say for the sake of argument, some sort of civil war breaks out (like so many on the Right would like to see).

It might not be military units against military units, but civilian against civilian, or armed militias against the police, national guard, and the military.

Might it be state vs state? Doubtful, but all it takes is for ONE governor to declare independence and empower state law enforcement personnel to take over federal government institutions.

However, my question is not whether YOU believe a civil war will happen, but instead ask, what will YOU be doing if such an event occurs?

I don't know what I would do?

I voted "Something else" but what that would be I don't really know?

I am old and crippled so I would not be anything useful in a fight but cannon fodder.

I guess it would depend where it would happen, if it came my way and swept me up I guess with my feeble arms supply I would do what I could to fight if it came to my doorstep.

Otherwise I would try to help the side I chose as much as possible in whatever manner I could.

Hide?

If needed.

I wouldn't leave the country.

I would aid those in need as much as I were able.

If it came to Blue v Red I would be on the Blue team.

If it came to MAGATS v the Sane and Rational demographic I would be on the S&R team.

All in all I would be for America as it should be, as it has been, and not turned into some Red Winger MAGA Theocracy.

Are you referring to the riots which happened in 2020. My sense is that was more political theater than a civil war.
I'm referring to all riots up coming & past including the Insurrection. BLM or White Nationalists, all will use the other as excuses for their excesses. As now the insurrectionist blame the riots that grew out of protests against the killing of Black persons in custody or being apprehended, with focus on George Floyd for their Attack on the democracy that Jan. 6th represents. This will be a political theater kind of war. If it escalates to my worse case scenario it will be built around the TV coverage expected from a certain assassination or bombing.

I am old and crippled so I would not be anything useful in a fight but cannon fodder.

I guess it would depend where it would happen, if it came my way and swept me up I guess with my feeble arms supply I would do what I could to fight if it came to my doorstep.

Otherwise I would try to help the side I chose as much as possible in whatever manner I could.

Hide?

If needed.

If it came to MAGATS v the Sane and Rational demographic I would be on the S&R team.

All in all I would be for America as it should be, as it has been, and not turned into some Red Winger MAGA Theocracy.
As one old man with physical deficiencies who loves the promise of this country to another, I'm with you in spirit.

I'm referring to all riots up coming & past including the Insurrection. BLM or White Nationalists, all will use the other as excuses for their excesses. As now the insurrectionist blame the riots that grew out of protests against the killing of Black persons in custody or being apprehended, with focus on George Floyd for their Attack on the democracy that Jan. 6th represents. This will be a political theater kind of war. If it escalates to my worse case scenario it will be built around the TV coverage expected from a certain assassination or bombing.

Well I can't say that your thought are off the wall or anything. Just hope that this is an ugly period in our history that will pass.

Well I can't say that your thought are off the wall or anything. Just hope that this is an ugly period in our history that will pass.
Doubt it. DeSantis is next and he is so much more popular than Trump.

Hide?

If needed.

I like your answer, but what saddens me, is one of the options has the fewest replies:
Risk my life to help those in real danger

You say you are old and crippled but would still aid those in need as much as you were able.

It says a lot right there, when someone old and crippled would risk their lives for others, while so many answering this thread would not.

I don't see it being a large scale event.
Maybe I have my definitions mixed, but I don't think it's a civil war unless it's a large scale event.

Sheesh man! Get some help with that anger thingy.
It is not anger just a simple acknowledement of how I see republicans taking away america from the real Americans.

Consider a scenario in which we have another one or two more extreme drought growing seasons with steadily declining agricultural yields and then the government proposes emergency water restrictions to the extreme. Western residents, real estate developers, and agriculture would be angry no matter who's in the White House, but if it's Biden who orders the cuts, I see a better than non-zero chance that they pitch a Bundy-like fit, but this time on a much grander scale. I could see a Republican House and right wing media fanning the flames in a seriously destabilizing way, with some calling for violent rebellion. Maybe even local "constitutionalist" sheriffs get into the act. Maybe local governors assert authority over their national guard and we see defections within the guard itself. I won't say that the odds of this scenario are necessarily likely, but I can see something like this playing out, particularly if the country's already in a bad mood over things like stag-flation.
Maybe its about time we abolished sheriffs altogether. This right wing extremism in the forces is also the fault of the FBI who knew klukkers and aryan nations types were infiltrating the cops.

We're already seeing how scarcity is playing out. Look at Mexico, Central America, and parts of South America. We're getting that population shift, and they will keep coming in greater numbers, only adding to our crisis.

When conservatives are saying there's a border crisis, I disagree with them but not for the reasons people might think. There is a crisis - we agree on that. A humanitarian crisis, but it's not just the border. That's just where it's most visible and it's catchy and it makes for sensational headlines for right wing propagandists. The crisis is ecological and it's on both sides of the border. We are wealthier and more stable, so we can deal with it - for now. But we're running out of time.

My fear is the crisis will hit much harder, much faster than we are prepared for, and it's going to cause massive anxieties, dislocation, and deprivation. All classes of people will lose, but some will feel more entitled to use violence to recoup their losses.
A lot of the conflicts in latin and south America are the result of cold war destabilization plans on behalf of America and the soviets using them as proxies. However, on top of that we have batshit insane reactionary governments who destroyed a lot of natural habitats leading to further climate catastrophe.

I wonder if the people who are eager for a civil war have the vaguest concept of what that war would look like. Conservatives' enemies aren't neat and tidy blue states, but liberals in cities. So what they going to do? Bomb all the economic centers of the country? Do they want the country to have a lower gdp than Tonga?

Lets say a civil war did break out.
I'm not a violent person, but how would that even work? How would you know who the enemy was? In the old civil war it was geographical areas/states.
Would it be states again? Like all the righties could go to the wonderful Right To Work Utopias of Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, Florida, etc. The nations sweaty armpit area. You get Texas too of course. *shudder*

The Liberal Forces would get the NE, California, and like Colorado and a couple others.

I could go with that. The uneducated hicks are dragging our society down. Let them all congregate in the Deep South where they will be happy.

I'd like to see the "U.S. Military" wipe all the Right Wing MAGA, Anti Government types out. Lincoln had compassion with hope the people would gain a sense of civility to respect the U.S. Constitution and the Government The Constitution Established.

Unfortunately, Lincoln's graces were disregarded by the Confederate Idealist who killed him, and the Treasonous Traitorous Andrew Johnson allowed these Traitors to Re-Enter our government, and those same traitors convinced again, the uneducated and miseducated of the South and those types who existed in the North to become Right Wing Conservatives, still pledging their Allegiance to Confederate Ideology of Plutocrats and their Autocratic Agenda.
These Treasonous types spread out across America passing that vile Barbaric Anti American Democracy and Anti Government mentality into their offspring's. They wrapped it in "Racism" and fed these people the delusion that "White Nationalist would benefit them", when the whole point of White Nationalism was based in Wealthy White Male Dominance.

They still to this day, use the poor, under-educated, mis-educated and uneducated whites to submit themselves to White Nationalism of Wealthy White Male Dominance, and never understanding that in essence what they pledged themselves to was Plutocracy by white male autocrats, who see the working poor as a labor pool to indenture by the use of "indebtedness" and the dire poor as cheap labor that contains them in a form of modified Serfdom.

White Nationalism was based in Wealthy White Male Dominance knew that the working poor and dire poor whites would never figure it out, and to assure they would not, 'Racism was placed as a central theme within their environments"..

LBJ, said it best:

President Lyndon B. Johnson once said, If you can convince the lowest white man he’s better than the best colored man, he won’t notice you’re picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he’ll empty his pockets for you.”

Trump came along, after people like Richard Nixon made the grave mistake of promoting his Southern Strategy to get votes, and that was followed up by the White Nationalist Bigot, Ronald Reagan, who ushered in the wide spread promotion of "Right Wing Media" and that became the "indoctrinating network" to assured that those who were groomed within the indoctrination of racism would remain under educated, mis educated and some purely uneducated, and thus could be fed... any type of "anguish invoking propaganda daily", to keep them riled up like a guard dog pack" to protect the network of the Wealthy White Males of White Nationalism.

• The structure was to 'give them a series of "boogie man" stories, to ensure they don't awaken and turn their attention to recognize that it is the White Nationalist of Wealthy White Male Dominance, who is their true oppressor's, and they are the true creators of 'inequity" and they promote a system to keep these types as 'under educated, uneducated and mis educated as humanly possible. Feed them belligerence, and ensure they resent 'intellect" and "fight against knowledge of truth" and 'deny information that can enlighten themselves".
Trump saw it, he knew it, because he grew up with a daddy that was not only steeped in "Racism Grooming", he was also, "indoctrinated in seeing poor whites, as pawns, and peons, who could be led like a cult, and made to work for insufficient wages, as long as they were told their white skin would some day, make them something they are not.

Making Fools of Men... has existed for Centuries and there have been many Tyrants, Dictators, Authoritarian Autocrat, and any assortment of Despots have used the same formula for Centuries.

Truthfully... most of those white people who devote themselves to Conservatism within Republican Devotion... have no idea... how they were caught in the snare of such self defeatist madness, that use them like a tool, to protect the system of White Nationalism of Wealthy White Male Dominance. Nor do they understand everything they promote of racist bigotry, is played out upon themselves by and through their own actions, because one can't contain another, without being themselves contained in the same of having to watch over whom they have contained, they make themselves no freer than those they seek to enslave, in process, they enslave themselves.

Last edited:
I wonder if the people who are eager for a civil war have the vaguest concept of what that war would look like.

Probably not - I'm sure it's pretty vague for them as it is for the rest of us. My guess is that they talk up the idea of civil war if and when they lose political power, whereas they abandon civil war if/when they control the political system. If they have political power, then they're more likely to lean into stripping the opposition of power. Their bottom line is power. They live in a zero-sum world of eat or be eaten.

Conservatives' enemies aren't neat and tidy blue states, but liberals in cities. So what they going to do? Bomb all the economic centers of the country? Do they want the country to have a lower gdp than Tonga?

If they can't control the political system in this country, then this scenario may reflect some degree of reality. I think they're perfectly willing to break up the country if they can't control it. Have they thought about the consequences? Of course not. But that won't stop them from destroying what they cannot control.

The most civil war in history was recently resolved, the Whisky War between Canada and Denmark.
Uh, thats not what you meant, is it...

Back
Top Bottom