• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

IF a civil war really does break out?

What will you be doing if a civil war does break out?

• Total voters

SNOWFLAKE

Crazy Canuck
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
If I asked everyone here - to give an honest answer - would YOU?

Let's say for the sake of argument, some sort of civil war breaks out (like so many on the Right would like to see).

It might not be military units against military units, but civilian against civilian, or armed militias against the police, national guard, and the military.

Might it be state vs state? Doubtful, but all it takes is for ONE governor to declare independence and empower state law enforcement personnel to take over federal government institutions.

However, my question is not whether YOU believe a civil war will happen, but instead ask, what will YOU be doing if such an event occurs?

Choices above in the poll section.

I dunno how you can just go about your business with armies strolling around your neighborhood.

Let's say for the sake of argument, some sort of civil war breaks out (like so many on the Right would like to see).

It might not be military units against military units, but civilian against civilian, or armed militias against the police, national guard, and the military.

Might it be state vs state? Doubtful, but all it takes is for ONE governor to declare independence and empower state law enforcement personnel to take over federal government institutions.

However, my question is not whether YOU believe a civil war will happen, but instead ask, what will YOU be doing if such an event occurs?

I'll do nothing. I'll financially support those that fight to uphold the Constitution, the Dems. If MAGA is in the neighborhood raping and pillaging, I'll hide but be armed.

I'll do nothing. I'll financially support those that fight to uphold the Constitution, the Dems. If MAGA is in the neighborhood raping and pillaging, I'll hide but be armed.
so option 6 is off the table?

Civil War between the Quebecois and the Anglos?

The military. ;)

The Trumpets are screwed.

It's not that simple. People within the military would break into their own factions, even different factions among supposedly the same sides. That's why this would not end well for conservatives the way some imagine it would -- for sure, it wouldn't end well for anti-conservatives either. In the end, it would be a total mess.

This is why Trump and MAGA's attempts to brand institutions as being politically motivated is so dangerous. Over time, people begin to believe the lie, that America's generals are "woke", that "the FBI and DOJ work for the Democrat party." And if the right wing takes power, they'll almost certainly install political loyalists to replace the "wokists"...which would be a disaster. This is what Stalin did, what Putin has done and is doing - how's that worked out for Russia's military? Turkey and Venezuela have authoritarian regimes that select cabinet posts based on loyalty -- all that did was leave Venezuela a failed petrol-state and Turkey with 80 - yes, 80 - percent inflation.

We've got a civil service, and generally speaking, it's a good one. **** that up and the country will implode rather quickly.

There will still be regular crimes committed, so I will stay at my job.

I dunno how you can just go about your business with armies strolling around your neighborhood.
In the actual Civil War, the vast majority of neighborhoods never saw an 'angry' army.

"Your honor, I respectfully invoke my rights under the Fifth Amendment of the U.S. Constitution on the grounds that answering questions may incriminate me."

There won't be a civil war. The worst would be a few malcontents with guns playing at revolution.

The police would deal with it.

In the actual Civil War, the vast majority of neighborhoods never saw an 'angry' army.

That was a different time, a different kind of warfare. This would be town to town, city to city, and in some cases, block to block street war. Think Yugoslavia or Syria.

A situation I'm keeping my eye on is the emerging water crisis out West. If the triple-dip La Nina forecast is accurate, that could mean another winter with well below average snowpack, which would put even more pressure on agriculture, and we're already coming out of one of our worst yields in decades, depending on the crop.

In the example of the Colorado River, California, due to how the initial multi-state water use agreement was set up, holds the power when it comes to water. The federal government holds even more power. But to get to my point, if there's a cross-border dispute involving California and other states, this could get ugly fast. And federal involvement in an attempt to mediate wouldn't necessarily be well-received. You all remember the Bundy clan insanity -- think that but on a much bigger scale.

Meanwhile right wing MAGA kings and extremists would be doing whatever they could to capitalize on the crisis and fan the flames. They'd claim that the Democrat party is stealing resources from good ole 'Merikuns' as a way to punish MAGA and Christians.

Choices above in the poll sec
Lol….. who against who???? Look, Americans already know what happens in civil war. There were more Americans killed in the war between the states than WW1, WW2, Korea and Viet Nam combined. And that was with muzzle loaders, and such.
Other than a few kooks with big mouths, no American would accept another civil war. It would be a massacre beyond the imagination. Any wing nut group of any stripe that would attempt such a fool hardy endeavor, would be quickly wiped out.
This hypothesis is so bizarre, I wouldn’t know what to choose.

Probably do what I need to in order to make sure my kids and parent are safe. Once that is done to some realistic level, try and focus on humanitarian efforts.

Back
Top Bottom