• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

If “public accommodations” wasn't in the Civil Rights Act of 1964

Race relations today would be:

• Better than they are today

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t know

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

pbrauer

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
Race relations today would be:

• Worse than they are today
  • The same as they are today
  • Better than they are today
  • I don’t know

There is no accurate way to answer this question.

Much, much worse. If I were at a restaurant that kicked someone out based on their race, I would walk out immediately.

I don't think they would have advanced much past what they were back then and possibly they might have gotten worse.

Worse. The pivot on the legislative level likely helped along the evolution of attitudes in mainstream society and ostracized those who might have acted differently without legal enforcement.

Do you have an opinion?

There is no way to know what could have been. All questions that deal with history where someone poses a question about what could of happened if this happened or this didn't happen are not going to get an answer with any sort of assurity behind it. Who knows what could of been since the government passed a law against it. The only thing we can even guess is that most likely race relations would have improved judging by the trends of the time.

About the same.

Relations improve when the overall education and sophistication of a populace increases. They don't improve when an oppressive government tells people what to do/think, and what not to do/think.

I don't think race relations are at an overall positive when a place of business has a black man, but is thought of by many as a "token". It'd be a wash to there not being a black man there to begin with.

Trying to end racism with government intervention is counter-intuitive because it will justify the opinion of racists and their racism.

Back
Top Bottom