• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Id's and mail in ballots

independentusa

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
In the last few years the GOP controlled states have required citizens show a valid ID to vote. I am not sure that it did not create more problems than it solved, but what I do think it is that government's responsibility then to insure that every citizen gets one. I do not mean that the government allow citizens to get one, but insure they get one by going out into the community and making sure they get one. We hire people to do the census, we can hire people to go door to door and insure that people get the valid ID. My state began the ID thing by forcing people to pay for them, knowing that poorer people could not afford them. This was until the court decided it ws a poll tax which the SCOTUS had already decided was unconstitutional. What did the state do after the court decision, nothing. they just kept on charging for the IDs until the court came back and threatened to put people in jail. The GOP apparently did not like being told what to do by the court, but of course did not want to go to jail.
Mail in ballots. Trump says he is going to starve the Postal system of money to make it almost impossible for those ballots to count. Certainly do not want people who will not vote for him to have their votes count. Maybe with this postal and covid problem, we should hire people to go about and collect the ballots under lock and key and to insure by checking IDs that the ballots are not fraudulent. Kill two birds with one stone, insure the ballots are legit and employ people who are out of a job during the pandemic.

In the last few years the GOP controlled states have required citizens show a valid ID to vote. I am not sure that it did not create more problems than it solved, but what I do think it is that government's responsibility then to insure that every citizen gets one. I do not mean that the government allow citizens to get one, but insure they get one by going out into the community and making sure they get one. We hire people to do the census, we can hire people to go door to door and insure that people get the valid ID. My state began the ID thing by forcing people to pay for them, knowing that poorer people could not afford them. This was until the court decided it ws a poll tax which the SCOTUS had already decided was unconstitutional. What did the state do after the court decision, nothing. they just kept on charging for the IDs until the court came back and threatened to put people in jail. The GOP apparently did not like being told what to do by the court, but of course did not want to go to jail.
Mail in ballots. Trump says he is going to starve the Postal system of money to make it almost impossible for those ballots to count. Certainly do not want people who will not vote for him to have their votes count. Maybe with this postal and covid problem, we should hire people to go about and collect the ballots under lock and key and to insure by checking IDs that the ballots are not fraudulent. Kill two birds with one stone, insure the ballots are legit and employ people who are out of a job during the pandemic.

I agree.

I believe it is necessary for people to show identification before voting, or for there to be a proper means of verifying that people who filled out their ballots and mailed them in were indeed the ones to whom the ballots were sent . Ideally, the Federal government should issue a universal picture identification of some form for free to all adult United States citizens acceptable in all local, state and Federal elections. Hell, I think the best solution would be for the Federal government to simply issue all U.S. Citizens a Passport for free.

Wrong. Pelosi wants additional billions to bail out the states who have mismanaged their finances prior to Covid, and is holding the Post Office funds hostage.

A big part of law enforcement is showing you care. If we act like we don't care, they why should those who seek to swing elections by cheating care? Not only that, it's racist as hell for the democrats to try to sell the idea that certain ethnic groups aren't sentient enough to get an ID... as if they live in some swamp somewhere and eat rodents and snakes, and only come out at election time and show up with no ID.

Better than that. Put polling boxes in every neighborhood that people can just deposit their ballots in the box.

Wrong. Pelosi wants additional billions to bail out the states who have mismanaged their finances prior to Covid, and is holding the Post Office funds hostage.

A big part of law enforcement is showing you care. If we act like we don't care, they why should those who seek to swing elections by cheating care? Not only that, it's racist as hell for the democrats to try to sell the idea that certain ethnic groups aren't sentient enough to get an ID... as if they live in some swamp somewhere and eat rodents and snakes, and only come out at election time and show up with no ID.

No Pelosi wants additional funds to bail out states due to COVID. States were doing just fine prior to COVID

There is no need for voter ID as there is no problem of any significance has ever been proven that would be solved with voter ID. It is just unnecessary, bureaucratic red tape that costs money and time with no result of any real value ever proven.

It's obvious that Trump is trying to prevent mail-in ballots from being counted as he thinks most this yr will be for Biden and down-ticket Dems. Any postal funding by Pelosi is to defend against that. Trump could still keep the postal service up the task of handling mail-in ballots in states where He might more likely benefit, like FL.

I am not sure that it did not create more problems than it solved,

Its amazing how quickly one can get an ID when having to cash a $check$

There is no need for voter ID as there is no problem of any significance has ever been proven that would be solved with voter ID. It is just unnecessary, bureaucratic red tape that costs money and time with no result of any real value ever proven.

It's obvious that Trump is trying to prevent mail-in ballots from being counted as he thinks most this yr will be for Biden and down-ticket Dems. Any postal funding by Pelosi is to defend against that. Trump could still keep the postal service up the task of handling mail-in ballots in states where He might more likely benefit, like FL.

There is no need for voter ID

Voter ID is Common sense

How do the millions of absentee votes cast each year provide photo id?

We seem to be confusing two topics or at least it appears. I have little issue with presenting an ID to register to vote. But I do have some issues even with ID for Registration since some states can remove voters from the rolls rather frivolously forcing the legit voter to suck himself through a straw to reregister, that is if he even knows he has been removed.

Presenting an ID to vote is ABSURD and IMO a bare faced effort to make it impossible to do anything but vote in person even under duress which we clearly are this year.

Oh wait...Donnie says for the thousandth time, COVID is under control. MY ASSEND it is Donnie. You are a lying dog that would simply choke before the truth would ever get out of your throat and out your mouth.

Last edited:
We seem to be confusing two topics or at least it appears. I have little issue with presenting an ID to register to vote. Presenting an ID to vote is ABSURD and IMO a bare faced effort to make it impossible to do anything but vote in person even under duress which we clearly are this year.

Oh wait...Donnie says for the thousandth time, COVID is under control. MY ASSEND it is Donnie. You are a lying dog that would simply choke before the truth would ever get out of your throat and out your mouth.

How would one present an ID to REGISTER to vote?

How would one present an ID to REGISTER to vote?

You go to your town or city hall and you register to vote. The problem in my view is not registering to vote. It is the absurd practice in some states of removing legit voters from the rolls forcing them to register AGAIN, that is if they even know they have been removed.

If you are a registered voter you remain a registered voter IMO. States should proactively be engaged in registering voters, not removing voters from their rolls.

Last edited:
You go to your town or city hall and you register to vote.

And? Can states require you to provide a photo id even if you register in person?

And? Can states require you to provide a photo id even if you register in person?

As long as the state provides the means to have a photo ID other than a drivers license, yes. My state does. You can either have a drivers license or a photo ID that is its equivalent. Again, in my view the issue is not presenting a photo ID to register. It is being forced back through the registration process AGAIN for no good reason other than a bare faced effort at voter suppression.

In my world, once you are a registered voter, you stay a registered voter. Does not matter how many elections you miss, if you stay within the state and the district where you are registered you remain a registered voter come hell or high water. States should be proactively trying to help citizens register, not proactively removing citizens from the rolls. Does not matter if you need to absentee ballot or mail in vote either. As long as you remain a legal resident of the state and the district where you were registered, you remain registered.

Last edited:
You are in the system as an American citizen upon birth and automatically registered to vote upon coming of age for your entire life until purged due to death or loss of citizenship. Anybody find a problem with that is looking for jihadist/commie/someone-not-like-them under their bed.

Voter ID is Common sense

Common sense is not fixing a wheel that ain't broke with one that doesn't perform any better or worse considering the trade-offs, at greater cost, effort and time.

Back
Top Bottom