• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Identity Politics is Poisoning America

Race and Identity politics are societal poison, no matter what side uses them. Race politics subsumes the individual into the group and both erases as well as dehumanizes them. Race politics is identity politics, and it makes us all hate each other in a very predictable way. Eventually there's going to be a severe backlash to the race politics going on now that will inevitably lead to the emergence of white identity politics... and with that widespread violence will ensue. It will cause a societal division that we will have great difficulty ever recovering from... Or put another way, it will lead us into a civil war.

We've seen the damage that identity politics has done around the world in places like the Soviet Union, Mao's China and Nazi Germany, which accounts for the deaths of over 100 million people. Just look at what race politics did during the first half of the 20th century right here in the US. It was responsible for countless deaths and great suffering for black Americans. It denied them basic rights and freedoms that prevented most of them from ever obtaining an measurable success. In the 1960's we changed all that by ending systemic racism and making racial equality the purpose of the law. That couldn't have happened if both sides hadn't recognized that white identity politics was the poison that allowed that discrimination and mistreatment to go on as long as it did. As a society, we all understood that race politics could no longer be allowed to rear it's ugly head again, and for the first 50 years after civil rights legislation passed, it didn't... But that's no longer the case and I just don't understand how so many people could have either ignored history, or have forgotten it so soon.

Both race politics and identity politics in general have been resurrected and are a very big part of today's democratic party. What began a decade ago as an effective political strategy that democrats and progressive pundits used as a means to stifle dissent and silence anyone who objected to the policies and proposals of president Obama, has become a carefully crafted political strategy by the democratic party that's implemented daily by the progressive left and their democratic supporters in the mainstream news media. Identity politics has not only become the primary political strategy for the democrats, they have expanded that strategy to not only pit black against white, but pit every single minority or marginalized group in the country against white, conservative, republican voters and will use it to marginalize anyone who isn't 100% loyal to the democratic party. Make no mistake, it is a political strategy which is why they don't hesitate to call a black women like Candace Owens a "white supremist", a married gay man like Dave Ruben a "homophobe", a transgender woman like Blair White a "transphobe" and a conservative Jew like Ben Shapiro a "Nazi".

Identity politics is evil. It's a poison that must be stopped before destroys the nation... The ball is in your court democrats. You are the only ones who can stop it.

Let's not repeat history.

Race and Identity politics are societal poison, no matter what side uses them. Race politics subsumes the individual into the group and both erases as well as dehumanizes them. Race politics is identity politics, and it makes us all hate each other in a very predictable way. Eventually there's going to be a severe backlash to the race politics going on now that will inevitably lead to the emergence of white identity politics... and with that widespread violence will ensue. It will cause a societal division that we will have great difficulty ever recovering from... Or put another way, it will lead us into a civil war.

We've seen the damage that identity politics has done around the world in places like the Soviet Union, Mao's China and Nazi Germany, which accounts for the deaths of over 100 million people. Just look at what race politics did during the first half of the 20th century right here in the US. It was responsible for countless deaths and great suffering for black Americans. It denied them basic rights and freedoms that prevented most of them from ever obtaining an measurable success. In the 1960's we changed all that by ending systemic racism and making racial equality the purpose of the law. That couldn't have happened if both sides hadn't recognized that white identity politics was the poison that allowed that discrimination and mistreatment to go on as long as it did. As a society, we all understood that race politics could no longer be allowed to rear it's ugly head again, and for the first 50 years after civil rights legislation passed, it didn't... But that's no longer the case and I just don't understand how so many people could have either ignored history, or have forgotten it so soon.

Both race politics and identity politics in general have been resurrected and are a very big part of today's democratic party. What began a decade ago as an effective political strategy that democrats and progressive pundits used as a means to stifle dissent and silence anyone who objected to the policies and proposals of president Obama, has become a carefully crafted political strategy by the democratic party that's implemented daily by the progressive left and their democratic supporters in the mainstream news media. Identity politics has not only become the primary political strategy for the democrats, they have expanded that strategy to not only pit black against white, but pit every single minority or marginalized group in the country against white, conservative, republican voters and will use it to marginalize anyone who isn't 100% loyal to the democratic party. Make no mistake, it is a political strategy which is why they don't hesitate to call a black women like Candace Owens a "white supremist", a married gay man like Dave Ruben a "homophobe", a transgender woman like Blair White a "transphobe" and a conservative Jew like Ben Shapiro a "Nazi".

Identity politics is evil. It's a poison that must be stopped before destroys the nation... The ball is in your court democrats. You are the only ones who can stop it.

Identity divides are also a serious problem in Europe. Many countries here have large immigrant populations, many or most of whom have no desire to integrate. In Sweden many of Near East origin (former Iranians mostly excepted) actively express hatred for Swedes and all things Swedish.

All politics are "identity politics." It's the human condition.

There is so much nonsense in this post, I don't even know where to start. You people fought civil rights kicking and screaming. But, to summarize: democrats caused all racial strife and I'm a victim.

I think people have the wrong reaction to this stuff. The accusation only has power if the accused give it power. I don't care if someone calls me a racist because I am not one. I also don't let their opinion alter my position. If they want to think I have some racist reason for holding a particular position that is their issue not mine. I'm ok with them not liking me if that's how they feel but I'm not gonna just give in to them to avoid their scorn.

You will excuse me, the author, for criticism, but I rarely see such a significant pile of text... which would not have any thought behind it.

That is, racial identity is bad... the main thesis. OK. Then the Germans and the Soviets are to blame (and how without them, the Russians did it)... and the Americans, of course, are not to blame for anything... Elves and orcs, nothing changes.

And you pour out this ton of water and... the second thesis, Democrats save everyone.

And was it worth spending time writing this blog if you don't have a solution to an obvious problem or even an idea for a solution?

It isn't Democratic Party ideas that are fueling While Supremicist terrorism.

I think people have the wrong reaction to this stuff. The accusation only has power if the accused give it power. I don't care if someone calls me a racist because I am not one. I also don't let their opinion alter my position. If they want to think I have some racist reason for holding a particular position that is their issue not mine. I'm ok with them not liking me if that's how they feel but I'm not gonna just give in to them to avoid their scorn.

White people saying they aren't racist is kind of a giveaway.

We're either anti-racist or racist. "Not racist" is just bullshit.

White people saying they aren't racist is kind of a giveaway.

We're either anti-racist or racist. "Not racist" is just bullshit.
I understand, in your mind, anyone who does not tow the progressive line is obviously racist. I'm fine with you thinking I'm a racist because I don't fall into the group think. I'm ok being an independent thinker. I'm in good company and I have no desire to be friends with bigots and bullies.

Respectfully disagree with the OP.

There will be NO "civil war."

Americans today are the most generous people in the world.

They graciously accepted the changes in the 1960s.

They excused the violence of 2020, and (reputedly) 80,000,000 of them voted to power the party that includes a bigwig who kneeled in the Capitol to that "movement."

I am not a Nostradamus, but the future is clear: The demographic changes will continue, the Democrats will eventually become the dominant party, opponents will adjust (as they always do), and some Americans will emigrate.

The United States of America is not exceptional.

Like all other nations that were once at the top (England, France, Spain, etc.) and then declined, the United States is now undergoing that process.

As some people have calmly said, the American experiment has failed.

OP's entire side is white identity politics.

That's where privilege comes from. White folk have been insulated from the fact that they engage in identity politics at all, while minorities are, on a daily basis, on the receiving end of their bullshit, from fellating the flag and the anthem and the cops at the expense of justice and accountability, to having literal white supremacists reside on our currency without a single second thought, to somehow convincing themselves that their xenophobic tendencies are justified so it's worth bombing, caging, apprehending, and deporting all sorts of brown people just so they can be in their "safe space."

Respectfully disagree with the OP.

They excused the violence of 2020, and (reputedly) 80,000,000 of them voted to power the party that includes a bigwig who kneeled in the Capitol to that "movement."

I am not a Nostradamus, but the future is clear: The demographic changes will continue, the Democrats will eventually become the dominant party, opponents will adjust (as they always do), and some Americans will emigrate.

Like all other nations that were once at the top (England, France, Spain, etc.) and then declined, the United States is now undergoing that process.

I actually agree with most of your post here. I think the future is bright for America though, once we get through our self inflicted malaise.

OP's entire side is white identity politics.

That's where privilege comes from. White folk have been insulated from the fact that they engage in identity politics at all, while minorities are, on a daily basis, on the receiving end of their bullshit, from fellating the flag and the anthem and the cops at the expense of justice and accountability, to having literal white supremacists reside on our currency without a single second thought, to somehow convincing themselves that their xenophobic tendencies are justified so it's worth bombing, caging, apprehending, and deporting all sorts of brown people just so they can be in their "safe space."
When you first joined this forum, although we disagreed on things I found you to be level headed and your views were at least reasonable. That's not the case anymore. Your posts in recent years are extremely far left, militant in tone and anti-white. They remind me of what you hear on the street from a Black Panther leader.

To put it bluntly, your posts are full of hatred and as far as I'm concerned you've gone off the deep end.

When you first joined this forum, although we disagreed on things I found you to be level headed and your views were at least reasonable. That's not the case anymore. Your posts in recent years are extremely far left, militant in tone and anti-white. They remind me of what you hear on the street from a Black Panther leader.

To put it bluntly, your posts are full of hatred and as far as I'm concerned you've gone off the deep end.

You want to talk about "poisoning America" when you stand by people like Trump and push lies about the election.

Yeah nah... That's ridiculous.

Hopefully not. IMO that would depend on just how divided this nation becomes before it truly wakes up to the threat of all the various "politics of division." If we finally become aware of the insidious poisoning of our American Idealism and excise that poison from the body politic, we can survive as a united nation.

For the most part. There are many "groups" representing exceptions

Having lived through that period, I would not necessarily call it "gracious." Perhaps a willing acceptance is a better way to phrase it.

We were blinded by the politics allowing for the violence, aided and abetted by the MSM's biased reporting.

IMO many of that "80 Million" were made up of the misled, misguided, and misinformed. Only now are we allowed growing evidence of the lies, misinformation, and disinformation efforts that led to that vote.

IMO most Americans are not concerned about the "demographic changes." Rather (like me) they are more concerned over loss of belief in the ideals which founded the nation.

Simply look at the problems faced by Sweden, after opening their arms blindly to a mass immigration, now dealing with a large population of non-Swedes who seek to change that nation into where they originally ran away from.

Yes, we actually are. Much like any premier nation down the annals of world history.

Like all other nations that were once at the top (England, France, Spain, etc.)

See my point above.

and then declined, the United States is now undergoing that process.

See my point above.

No, that is like declaring the patient dead prematurely.

It is in the throws of a different Civil War, not an open one like the North v. South, but a war against American Idealism paid for by all the forces who seek to diminish this nation and become "top dog" themselves. Along with their "nightmare" governments.

We only fail if we act like YOU and simply accept defeat before the battle is lost.

Psychological projection.

I note that you carefully avoid the identity politics that the Repubs use, such as playing to evangelicals, playing to the wealthy, playing to rural whites, playing to latent racists. Are none of these groups to be considered as having an “identity” with one another, but it only applies to minorities and not to whites also. Sounds to me like you’re just the normal far right Republican hypocrite who only tells one side of the story.

I note that you carefully avoid the identity politics that the Repubs use, such as playing to evangelicals, playing to the wealthy, playing to rural whites, playing to latent racists. Are none of these groups to be considered as having an “identity” with one another, but it only applies to minorities and not to whites also. Sounds to me like you’re just the normal far right Republican hypocrite who only tells one side of the story.
Your entire argument is a fallacy. You obviously have no idea what identity politics is.

Identity politics is the act of publicly slandering and demonizing with falsehoods, a certain group of people by claiming they are dangerous and are oppressing another group. It's designed to create societal hatred for certain groups of people by dividing groups against each other. That's exactly what democrats, their supporters and the media have been doing for the last decade.

White conservatives and republicans do not publicly demonize black people, gays, trans people or women or try to convince the public that any of them are evil. White conservatives and republicans are not trying to silence the left or make anything they say that we disagree with subject to legal action.

Having political disagreements, sometime heated disagreements, is not an attempt to divide our society into groups and pit them against each other. But that's exactly what democrats and the left have been doing, the same way the Soviets did to the Kulaks, like Mao did peasant farmers, and like Hitler did by demonizing the Jews.

Your entire argument is a fallacy. You obviously have no idea what identity politics is.

Identity politics is the act of publicly slandering and demonizing with falsehoods, a certain group of people by claiming they are dangerous and are oppressing another group. It's designed to create societal hatred for certain groups of people by dividing groups against each other. That's exactly what democrats, their supporters and the media have been doing for the last decade.

White conservatives and republicans do not publicly demonize black people, gays, trans people or women or try to convince the public that any of them are evil. White conservatives and republicans are not trying to silence the left or make anything they say that we disagree with subject to legal action.

Having political disagreements, sometime heated disagreements, is not an attempt to divide our society into groups and pit them against each other. But that's exactly what democrats and the left have been doing, the same way the Soviets did to the Kulaks, like Mao did peasant farmers, and like Hitler did by demonizing the Jews.

Here is a standard definition for identity politics: "Identity politics is a political approach wherein people of a particular gender, religion, race, social background, social class, environmental,[1] or other identifying factors, develop political agendas that are based upon these identities".

Nary a mention of "slandering and demonizing" or "oppressing" or "societal hatred". In other words, YOU HAVEN'T A CLUE AS TO WHAT THE HELL YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT!
And given that you haven't a clue, there is no need for me to go any further in this discussion. And besides, the rest of your post is just a standard right-wing rant of no real merit and thus deserves a huge *YAWN*.

Here is a standard definition for identity politics: "Identity politics is a political approach wherein people of a particular gender, religion, race, social background, social class, environmental,[1] or other identifying factors, develop political agendas that are based upon these identities".

Nary a mention of "slandering and demonizing" or "oppressing" or "societal hatred". In other words, YOU HAVEN'T A CLUE AS TO WHAT THE HELL YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT!
And given that you haven't a clue, there is no need for me to go any further in this discussion. And besides, the rest of your post is just a standard right-wing rant of no real merit and thus deserves a huge *YAWN*.
Wow... You want to play semantics and hide behind a definition from wiki? How about you address the reality of what's going on and where it's going to lead?

Identity politics itself exists within both sides of political spectrum and always has. The differences now are that the democrats and the left focus almost exclusively on it, have weaponized it by blaming every tragedy, and anyone or anything they disagree with, with both an "ism" and "oppressor" label. Their slandering and demonizing is the central component of their identity politics strategy that's designed dehumanize their opposition in the public eye not only to gain political support, but to justify both the cancel culture mobs and their attempts to usher in discriminatory treatment of those on the right (white conservatives) by law enforcement, by mainstream & social media, and by society in general.

This over the top and dangerous behavior is exclusive to the democrats and the political left, and mark my words.... If this bullshit continues to escalate there will be a backlash and the consequences will be violent and very severe. You can't continue to label nearly half of the country as racists, bigots and homophobes, take action to silence their views and enact policies designed to discriminate against them, and think they will just shut up and take it. You all are engaging in exactly the behavior that Martin Luther King Jr fought against his entire life, and are heading in the exact same direction as Stalin, Mao and Hitler by adopting the very same tactics they did.

Wow... You want to play semantics and hide behind a definition from wiki? How about you address the reality of what's going on and where it's going to lead?

Identity politics itself exists within both sides of political spectrum and always has. The differences now are that the democrats and the left focus almost exclusively on it, have weaponized it by blaming every tragedy, and anyone or anything they disagree with, with both an "ism" and "oppressor" label. Their slandering and demonizing is the central component of their identity politics strategy that's designed dehumanize their opposition in the public eye not only to gain political support, but to justify both the cancel culture mobs and their attempts to usher in discriminatory treatment of those on the right (white conservatives) by law enforcement, by mainstream & social media, and by society in general.

This over the top and dangerous behavior is exclusive to the democrats and the political left, and mark my words.... If this bullshit continues to escalate there will be a backlash and the consequences will be violent and very severe. You can't continue to label nearly half of the country as racists, bigots and homophobes, take action to silence their views and enact policies designed to discriminate against them, and think they will just shut up and take it. You all are engaging in exactly the behavior that Martin Luther King Jr fought against his entire life, and are heading in the exact same direction as Stalin, Mao and Hitler by adopting the very same tactics they did.

You made up your own definition and are hiding behind it.

Hopefully not. IMO that would depend on just how divided this nation becomes before it truly wakes up to the threat of all the various "politics of division." If we finally become aware of the insidious poisoning of our American Idealism and excise that poison from the body politic, we can survive as a united nation.

For the most part. There are many "groups" representing exceptions

Having lived through that period, I would not necessarily call it "gracious." Perhaps a willing acceptance is a better way to phrase it.

We were blinded by the politics allowing for the violence, aided and abetted by the MSM's biased reporting.

IMO many of that "80 Million" were made up of the misled, misguided, and misinformed. Only now are we allowed growing evidence of the lies, misinformation, and disinformation efforts that led to that vote.

IMO most Americans are not concerned about the "demographic changes." Rather (like me) they are more concerned over loss of belief in the ideals which founded the nation.

Simply look at the problems faced by Sweden, after opening their arms blindly to a mass immigration, now dealing with a large population of non-Swedes who seek to change that nation into where they originally ran away from.

Yes, we actually are. Much like any premier nation down the annals of world history.

See my point above.

See my point above.

No, that is like declaring the patient dead prematurely.

It is in the throws of a different Civil War, not an open one like the North v. South, but a war against American Idealism paid for by all the forces who seek to diminish this nation and become "top dog" themselves. Along with their "nightmare" governments.

We only fail if we act like YOU and simply accept defeat before the battle is lost.
There is an exception to what are ironically called 'new Swedes' from the Near East: the immigrants from Iran. Nearly all left to escape theocratic dictatorship and, in contrast to most Arabs and Somalis, have left it behind them.

Any form of identity politics in and of itself is not "bad." It is what you do with it that makes it toxic.

Put another way, it's not a "bad" thing to identify as a certain race or sexual orientation if you're using it to improve the world. It is bad if you take that identity and use it for cover to commit horrible and unspeakable crimes, ranging from Dylan Roof and the shooting in Charleston, up to and including the Holocaust.

Where I disagree with many Democrats is the sentiment that people should "stop hating." I can hate certain genders or races my entire life, but if I don't do anything with that hate, I'm not causing harm. The issue I cause is when I act on that hate to harm other people. Put another way, If a White Supremacist police officer leaves his bias at home and do his/her job and treat all citizens equally, does it matter if he or she is a white supremacist. Also, trying to stop an emotion is vaguely uncool when framed in certain ways.

Ergo, the problem is not the hatred or bias; the problem is what you do with it. Just as the problem with identity politics is not belonging to a group; it's what the group does with it.

You make an interesting point. This is certainly the case when it is really the culture that one 'hates'. I detest Islam but I have liked ever Muslim that I have known at all well.
'

So tell Fox News to knock it off! That and the racism.

Back
Top Bottom