• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Ideas for less DP and more HackerRank?

SDET

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
I resent my current employer pressuring people to "put in time after work". I have tread lightly in order to achieve the socially acceptable minimum time in the position of 18 months. I feel resentment putting time in on HackerRank.com because that would be giving in to what the boss wants. However, doing so would help pave the way to a new employer. This resentment powers laziness and a desire to do mindless things such as watch reruns and post to message boards. How does one push back against this resentment driven laziness and get cracking on something that will put me in a position of strength?

I'm getting close to that 18 month mark.

Do what you think would be the best decision? Don't do anything that is mindless or lazy.
Try to stay away from posting messages when not needed. Maybe do a few mindless things
but not on overtime. Maybe do a working lunch to get more time in but also have a good lunch.
Hope this helps?

Do whatever to keep the job. Document the overtime (telling no one). Covert retaliation or doing a slowdown is dumb. If you end up losing the job, THEN you can go after the unpaid overtime. Otherwise make the probation period. That's how it works. This may actually be a test to see if you are a loyal strong work ethic person or someone they want to cut loose. Do NOT participate in hate-on-the-company or bitching talking to other employees. They'll back stab you every time.

Put more simply, forget about slogans and look out for yourself in real terms.

How do you do it? Just keep telling yourself "don't be an idiot" and asking yourself " If lose this job today what I will I do tomorrow?" Stop feeling entitled. Live in REALITY, not slogans and victimhood. NEVER lose a job until you have already replaced it with certainty.

This week, heard an employer explaining how a heavy work day came in and one of the employees was bitterly whining about all the extra work with no extra pay. It is a job that employee for the pay could not duplicate. The price? Job gone. No one ever complains about being paid too much for easy work days nor employers say "today there was little work so I'm paying you 20% less for today." Employees rarely see things from the employer's side. Possibly your employer is trying to save the company or make it look good on paper to sell it.

Employees who do grudge retaliations against their employer come to be called ex-employees. Don't be an idiot.

Last edited:
Do whatever to keep the job. Document the overtime (telling no one). Covert retaliation or doing a slowdown is dumb. If you end up losing the job, THEN you can go after the unpaid overtime. Otherwise make the probation period. That's how it works. This may actually be a test to see if you are a loyal strong work ethic person or someone they want to cut loose. Do NOT participate in hate-on-the-company or bitching talking to other employees.

Put more simply, forget about slogans and look out for yourself in real terms.

How do you do it? Just keep telling yourself "don't be an idiot" and asking yourself " I lose this job what I would do is?" Stop feeling entitled. Live in REALITY, not slogans and victimhood.

This week, heard an employer explaining how a heavy work day came in and one of the employees was bitterly whining about all the extra work with no extra pay. It is a job that employee for the pay could not duplicate. The price? Job gone. No one ever complains about being paid too much for easy work days nor employers say "today there was little work so I'm paying you 20% less for today." Employees rarely see things from the employer's side. Possibly your employer is trying to save the company or make it look good on paper to sell it.

If work gets too easy, I have to start taking anti-depressants. Since the offshore team is in Bolivia, I was considering doing some of the more boring tasks in Spanish. I don't whine when I'm frustrated at work, rather I slide into a depressive stupor and don't say much.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom