• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Ichiro gets hit #4,000!!!

Lutherf

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Base hit to left. I'll post video as soon as I can.

The hit total includes his production in Japan but it's still one hell of an accomplishment!

Last edited:
Base hit to right. I'll post video as soon as I can.

The hit total includes his production in Japan but it's still one hell of an accomplishment!

He's always been one of my favorite players. With Japan's league being at least a little bit better than AAA and only having 130 games in a season I think 4,000 is at least pretty close to what his true hit total would be.

First ballot Hall of Famer. A breath of fresh air in the era of roids.

While Nippon Professional Baseball (Japan baseball) is only 130-140 games a year, it's less "competitive" because of Japanese culture. Ichiro is (well was) a helluva a player. It's really too bad he his first 2 years with Orix BlueWave was mired with a Manager who didn't like him. He would be passing Pete Rose by now.

Nice accomplishment, but I'm still waiting for it to come out that Ichiro has used PEDs, which will more than likely happen at some point.

While Nippon Professional Baseball (Japan baseball) is only 130-140 games a year, it's less "competitive" because of Japanese culture. Ichiro is (well was) a helluva a player. It's really too bad he his first 2 years with Orix BlueWave was mired with a Manager who didn't like him. He would be passing Pete Rose by now.

How would he be passing Pete Rose? He only has 2,722 MLB Hits, Pete Rose ended with almost twice that many.

How would he be passing Pete Rose? He only has 2,722 MLB Hits, Pete Rose ended with almost twice that many.

Personally don't care about MLB stats. Baseball stats matter. I view Sadaharu Oh as the all time home run king (shorter seasons), Cal Ripken as the "Iron Man", and Pete Rose as the all time hits leader. But I also have a few cavaets.

1) Sadaharu's single season home run record (55) in Japan should be held by Tuffy Rhodes, Alex Cabrera or Randy Bass as all finished with 55 but were intentionally walked when they played teams managed by Sadaharu in the last few games of the season.

2) Cal Ripken didn't become the world baseball Iron Man until June 14th, 1996 when he passed Sachio Kinugasa.

3) Pete Rose is only counted as the hits leader because Ty Cobb never played 162 games (162 games didn't start until 1961). Ty Cobb was passed due to the extra games. 67 hits is the difference between them. In fact statistically, Pete and Ty both played 24 years. Over a 162 game season... Pete averaged 194 hits a season, Ty Cobb 224 (extrapolated). Ty Cobb would have had well over 5,000 hits. While Pete would be at 4,650.

4) George Sisler is the all time single season hits leader, not Ichiro, due to game difference.

It's these differences that matter. Extra games makes a difference. League does not. Same concept... pitch the ball, hit the ball. It's why to me Ichiro would be the behind Ty Cobb as all time hits leader if he had 162 games in Japan.. hell he had over 200 hits in a 130 game season.

Personally don't care about MLB stats. Baseball stats matter. I view Sadaharu Oh as the all time home run king (shorter seasons), Cal Ripken as the "Iron Man", and Pete Rose as the all time hits leader. But I also have a few cavaets.

1) Sadaharu's single season home run record (55) in Japan should be held by Tuffy Rhodes, Alex Cabrera or Randy Bass as all finished with 55 but were intentionally walked when they played teams managed by Sadaharu in the last few games of the season.

2) Cal Ripken didn't become the world baseball Iron Man until June 14th, 1996 when he passed Sachio Kinugasa.

3) Pete Rose is only counted as the hits leader because Ty Cobb never played 162 games (162 games didn't start until 1961). Ty Cobb was passed due to the extra games. 67 hits is the difference between them. In fact statistically, Pete and Ty both played 24 years. Over a 162 game season... Pete averaged 194 hits a season, Ty Cobb 224 (extrapolated). Ty Cobb would have had well over 5,000 hits. While Pete would be at 4,650.

4) George Sisler is the all time single season hits leader, not Ichiro, due to game difference.

It's these differences that matter. Extra games makes a difference. League does not. Same concept... pitch the ball, hit the ball. It's why to me Ichiro would be the behind Ty Cobb as all time hits leader if he had 162 games in Japan.. hell he had over 200 hits in a 130 game season.

With that logic though we also need to count all minor-league, College, High School, and Little League games too.

Even if you do count minor league hits, 4000 is still damn impressive. In addition to Cobb and Rose it only adds Hank Aaron, the great Stan Musial, and one professional minor league hitter no ones ever heard of.

With that logic though we also need to count all minor-league, College, High School, and Little League games too.

Absolutely not. The logic I am using is not discounting Nippon as a also ran league that most in the US do and to deny Pete Rose played more games to get his hits then Ichiro, Ty Cobb and others is ignoring the differences in baseball.

Back
Top Bottom