• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Iceland to get new mosque [W:259]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grant

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
The Muslim Association of Iceland now admits that foreign donors will be paying for the mosque's construction costs. The former mayor of Reykjavik says he believes it is outrageous for the city to give Muslims a site at no cost at a great location in the center of the city, and asks why political and feminist groups are so tolerant of a religion that he says degrades women.

Iceland to Get its First Mosque :: Gatestone Institute

It used to be a great little country.

The Muslim Association of Iceland now admits that foreign donors will be paying for the mosque's construction costs. The former mayor of Reykjavik says he believes it is outrageous for the city to give Muslims a site at no cost at a great location in the center of the city, and asks why political and feminist groups are so tolerant of a religion that he says degrades women.

Someone needs to market a "WWLED?" bracelet. What Would Leif Ericsson Do?:peace

Hmm, I know this is off topic but the thread lead me to a question - when praying in the center of Mecca do they still bow to the east?

Is it the norm for Iceland to just give land away for free to religious groups to build their silly temples on? That's about the only problem I have with this story.

I guess we should be wary of catholic around our kids just because a handful of them molested some kids.

Heya Grant. :2wave: Thia isn't surprising. Plus we know the foreign backers are always seeking control and influence. One wonders why they would be given anything free. Let alone always looking to build in an upscale part of town.

Think the same backers will want to rush their pathetic asses down to the Antartica and try and get one built there. Now that I would like to see and a well as how many times they would fail with their immaculate conception of competency.

Funny thing.....wonder why they don't want to try and build anymore around here where I live. We must not be expecting any great influx coming round here no more. Shame.....I was kinda hoping they would come around and try to push their intolerance for things around here. Then you will get to hear about some real reality they face.

The mosque will be built in Sogamýri, an upscale district near downtown Reykjavík on a highly desirable plot of land that was granted to Muslims free of charge, courtesy of Icelandic taxpayers.

Members of the city council -- which is led by Reykjavík Mayor Jón Gnarr, who identifies himself as an anarchist -- say they hope the prime location will make the mosque a prominent landmark in the city.

Critics of the mosque, however, say the project is being financed by donors in the Middle East who are seeking to exert control over -- and radicalize -- the growing Muslim community in Iceland.

Although reliable statistics do not exist, the Muslim population of Iceland is estimated to be approximately 1,200, or 0.4% of the total Icelandic population of 320,000. Most Muslims in Iceland live in the capital Reykjavík, where they make up about 1% of the total population of 120,000.....snip~

Is it the norm for Iceland to just give land away for free to religious groups to build their silly temples on? That's about the only problem I have with this story.

I think they want to demonstrate their liberalism and openmindeness, that they are superior to those who would be critical of Islam. That's usually the case.

My family is from there and Ive visited many times. A population of that size doesn't have much of a chance.

You mean a mosque? As in one mosque? How ever will they survive?

Someone needs to market a "WWLED?" bracelet. What Would Leif Ericsson Do?:peace

Those glory years are long gone. Can't even do much looting, raping or pillaging anymore, even in Iceland, without getting hassled by the Man.

I think they want to demonstrate their liberalism and openmindeness, that they are superior to those who would be critical of Islam. That's usually the case.

My family is from there and Ive visited many times. A population of that size doesn't have much of a chance.

Well, one does have to take into context that concept by the Sunni Clerics that they would get Mosques built upon all the continents......wonder why they aren't rushing down to the South pole in any hurry.

Course it takes those who actually know something about them Other than from what they watch on TV and read about them.

So they only give land away for free to Muslims? Ooooookaay....

I didn't know you were one of them thar Vikings. :D

So they only give land away for free to Muslims? Ooooookaay....

I didn't know you were one of them thar Vikings. :D

Oh yeah! And I've got the horned helmet and a formerly red beard to prove it!!

Once worked as a cook/deckhand fishing off Vestmannaeyjar. Left in September and the 5 man crew went down in January. A terrible thing but not uncommon.

Hmm, I know this is off topic but the thread lead me to a question - when praying in the center of Mecca do they still bow to the east?

Muslims pray facing the Kaaba, so worshipers in The Sacred Mosque will pray in circular rows around it, if you were a royal and decided to pray inside the Kaaba then facing any of its walls is considered acceptable.

As for the topic at hand, good for them, are we supposed to be shocked or expected to condemn a country for allowing people their freedom of religion?

Muslims pray facing the Kaaba, so worshipers in The Sacred Mosque will pray in circular rows around it, if you were a royal and decided to pray inside the Kaaba then facing any of its walls is considered acceptable.

As for the topic at hand, good for them, are we supposed to be shocked or expected to condemn a country for allowing people their freedom of religion?

They'll soon discover how Muslims feel about freedom of religion. Expect 'compromises' soon.

They'll soon discover how Muslims feel about freedom of religion. Expect 'compromises' soon.

Are they all against freedom of religion like you?

Royals get special treatment you say? It's rather sad to learn that all aren't equal in the eyes of Allah.

Doesn't the Koran say something like "It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God"?

What Would Leif Ericsson Do?:peace

He would build a huge statue of Thor next to the mosque, and challenge anyone who thinks that other gods have bigger hammers to a drinking contest. The Icelandic Muslims would drink only mint tea, but Leif would STILL drink them under the table.

Last edited:

Islam is not only a religion but a repressive, misogynistic, pugilistic, genocidal and grossly intolerant social and legal model. So we should allow people their freedom, but pity and deeply mistrust them when they choose to embrace Islam.

Islam is not only a religion but a repressive, misogynistic, pugilistic, genocidal and grossly intolerant social and legal model. So we should allow people their freedom, but pity and deeply mistrust them when they choose to embrace Islam.

By entirely ignoring values and life experience of many millions of actual people who are Muslims but are not and have never been anything of the sort - from Indonesia to Albania, from Turkey to Tatarstan, from Morocco to Bangladesh - aren't you being just a tad...pugilistic here? (Allah forbid I should suspect any kind of gross intolerance....)

By entirely ignoring values and life experience of many millions of actual people who are Muslims but are not and have never been anything of the sort - from Indonesia to Albania, from Turkey to Tatarstan, from Morocco to Bangladesh - aren't you being just a tad...pugilistic here? (Allah forbid I should suspect any kind of gross intolerance....)

Nah. It's Islam without the usual coating of the sweet stuff.

Not at all. Islam has gone through alternating periods of quiescence and Jihad throughout its bloody history. And never repudiates murderous force in the furtherance of its goal of the total subjugation of Humanity. That's its reason for existing, after all, to bring the entirety of the world to bow before Allah, by almost any means from proselytization to enslavement or extermination of the Infidel.

You mean compromises for the sake of community cohesion? :p

Honestly, there are 2 things that bother me:

a) the mosque gets the land for free, and its' damn good land... i mean really...

b) the mayor raised a good point. Where are all the feminists now huh? Look at the treatment of women in Islam. Why would you consecrate such a treatment in Iceland... a country that has virtually no crime and especially no abuse against women.

As long as those "compromises" don't break Icelandic law, I don't see any issue. Be flexible on the little things, but never, ever compromise on fundamental equality and freedoms guaranteed by their constitution. It's really not rocket science.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom