• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Iceland to get new mosque [W:259]

Status
Not open for further replies.
As long as those "compromises" don't break Icelandic law, I don't see any issue. Be flexible on the little things, but never, ever compromise on fundamental equality and freedoms guaranteed by their constitution. It's really not rocket science.

Sadly it is rocket science... trying to figure out how to discriminate against 1.4 billion people without being called an "ist" of some kind.

Sadly it is rocket science... trying to figure out how to discriminate against 1.4 billion people without being called an "ist" of some kind.

Sticking to one's fundamental principles and values is not discrimination. Some value systems are incompatible. At some point a choice has to be made. One of the two parties is going to have to adapt to its new environment or move back to the old country. Some things are just not negotiable.

Not at all. Islam has gone through alternating periods of quiescence and Jihad throughout its bloody history.

The same can be said about any proselytizing religion, starting with Christianity. This view ignores the reality of life and thought of countless Muslims and Christians, and confuses religion, in its immense complexity, with crusading (jihading?) totalitarian ideologies like Communism or Nazism.

Someone needs to market a "WWLED?" bracelet. What Would Leif Ericsson Do?:peace

Emigrate to, introduce to and practice his religion in greener pastures with foreign funding?

Sure has a lot in common with these Muslims.

The same can be said about any proselytizing religion, starting with Christianity. This view ignores the reality of life and thought of countless Muslims and Christians, and confuses religion, in its immense complexity, with crusading (jihading?) totalitarian ideologies like Communism or Nazism.

Ah! But you see, with the advent of general literacy, when the Christian Faithful could read their own Writ, such violence would no longer be tolerated by the vast majority of them, at least not for the purpose of spreading the religion itself. Quite the reverse holds true in the Muslim World, where educating the Faithful in the written (and as I understand it immutable) code of the Faith informs them that accepting peaceful coexistence with the Infidel when the Infidel might reasonably be subdued or destroyed is an affront to Islam.

Are you familiar with the immutability of commands to violence in Islam? Christianity is far more open to interpretation on the whole than Islam.

Last edited:
I'll worry about Muslim freedom of religion in Iceland when the first Lutheran church in Riyadh opens it's doors.:peace

Oh silly me I thought freedom of religion is a right not a privilege to be bestowed on people who agree with you.

Moi?? Against freedom of religion??

Whatever put that notion in your pointy little head?

If your post is meant to be ironic, am sorry.

I thought it is abundantly clear that you disapprove of Muslim citizens having equal rights, wasn't the point of this thread to protest the building of the mosque?

Also didn't you just like this post?

I'll worry about Muslim freedom of religion in Iceland when the first Lutheran church in Riyadh opens it's doors.:peace

Sticking to one's fundamental principles and values is not discrimination. Some value systems are incompatible. At some point a choice has to be made. One of the two parties is going to have to adapt to its new environment or move back to the old country. Some things are just not negotiable.

Putting up a mosque is hardly incompatible.. Icelandic Muslims have been praying in a mosque there for a long time.. it is just not purpose built.

And everything is negotiable... it all depends on how far backwards you are willing to bend to accept discriminatory practices of BOTH sides. Personally I would not accept any at all, but that is me.

Royals get special treatment you say? It's rather sad to learn that all aren't equal in the eyes of Allah.

Yes, it goes without saying that nothing a person who happens to be a muslim does can come from anywhere but their religious belief, because they are obviously different from all other people. It can't possibly be that there are corrupt people who happen to be muslim they have to be corrupt because of Islam... Yawn.

Doesn't the Koran say something like "It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God"?

Is this a religious pissing contest I entered unknowingly?

Putting up a mosque is hardly incompatible.. Icelandic Muslims have been praying in a mosque there for a long time.. it is just not purpose built.

And everything is negotiable... it all depends on how far backwards you are willing to bend to accept discriminatory practices of BOTH sides. Personally I would not accept any at all, but that is me.

I have nothing against the building of a mosque or any other religious building. I don't think the OP does either, although it's not very clear what his objection actually is.
My own issue here is that this particular religious group seems to be getting freebies that other religious groups don't enjoy. According to the OP's source, they're getting land for free and in a prime location to boot. I don't know about you, but if I was a citizen of Iceland I would like to know why my government is favoring this particular religion. Additionally, if I was the leader of any other religious group, I would demand a similiar plot of land. Failing that I would ask the government to pay my church back the money it cost to buy the land it's built on.

Islam is not only a religion but a repressive, misogynistic, pugilistic, genocidal and grossly intolerant social and legal model. So we should allow people their freedom, but pity and deeply mistrust them when they choose to embrace Islam.

Many would say the same thing about the two monotheistic predecessors it plagiarized and improved upon, and I'd agree.

Hmm, I know this is off topic but the thread lead me to a question - when praying in the center of Mecca do they still bow to the east?

people governing Mecca are devil'S advocates

but any mosque shouldnt bother any " enlightened civilized wessterner in my opinion

Is it the norm for Iceland to just give land away for free to religious groups to build their silly temples on? That's about the only problem I have with this story.

you still can claim you are more civilized ??

acting like bigots doesnt make anything look more civilized

haha

Many would say the same thing about the two monotheistic predecessors it plagiarized and improved upon, and I'd agree.

Except that they'd be wrong. Judaism has little impetus to proselytize, and when Christian entities have engaged in forced conversions, they did so in clear contradiction of their own written creed.

A question could be raised as to why Muslims wanted to emigrate to Iceland in the first place, although it is certainly better than what most Muslim countries have to offer.. The more liberal a country is the most likely they are to adapt to Islam, so Iceland will be a cinch.

Everything appears to be negotiable following the arrival of Muslims to new communities, especially in the 'offending' areas. Muslims are famously sensitive concerning their feelings and tend to make known those things which might possibly cause offense.. The liberals will negotiate with them for a few minutes and then concede. If the hosts don't make these concessions they'll be called Islamophobes, and what could be worse than that?

Muslims tend not move back to their old country but many Europeans are moving to new countries.

Oh silly me I thought freedom of religion is a right not a privilege to be bestowed on people who agree with you.

You thought wrong and there is evidence all over the world which would demonstrate that.

Get out more. Read a book.

If your post is meant to be ironic, am sorry.I thought it is abundantly clear that you disapprove of Muslim citizens having equal rights, wasn't the point of this thread to protest the building of the mosque?

How would that be 'abundantly clear"?

Also didn't you just like this post?

Yeah, i thought it was great!

I have nothing against the building of a mosque or any other religious building. I don't think the OP does either, although it's not very clear what his objection actually is.
My own issue here is that this particular religious group seems to be getting freebies that other religious groups don't enjoy. According to the OP's source, they're getting land for free and in a prime location to boot. I don't know about you, but if I was a citizen of Iceland I would like to know why my government is favoring this particular religion. Additionally, if I was the leader of any other religious group, I would demand a similiar plot of land. Failing that I would ask the government to pay my church back the money it cost to buy the land it's built on.

To be fair.. churches around the world was also built in prime locations and the land given for free. Just saying.

How would the Icelanders, who have settled in their country for many centuries, still reading the language of the Vikings, discriminate against Muslims? Why would they have to do any bending, and what 'bending' do you expect them to do?

Yes, it goes without saying that nothing a person who happens to be a muslim does can come from anywhere but their religious belief, because they are obviously different from all other people. It can't possibly be that there are corrupt people who happen to be muslim they have to be corrupt because of Islam... Yawn.
You seem to have run off with your own narrative, and find it is dull as anyone else.
Is this a religious pissing contest I entered unknowingly?
Are you getting offended?

To be fair.. churches around the world was also built in prime locations and the land given for free. Just saying.

That is not the point. This is the 21st century. Government and religion are supposed to be separate. If the government takes it upon itself to favor one religion over another, we can kiss equality under the law goodbye. Does Iceland bestow the same privileges on all religions or just Islam? If they give free land to all religions, that's fine by me. If they only give it to one, I'm seeing a problem.

That is not the point. This is the 21st century. Government and religion are supposed to be separate. If the government takes it upon itself to favor one religion over another, we can kiss equality under the law goodbye. Does Iceland bestow the same privileges on all religions or just Islam? If they give free land to all religions, that's fine by me. If they only give it to one, I'm seeing a problem.

Many mosques and 'learning centers' in the democracies are being financed by Middle East leaders. There might have been money exchanging hands here as well, certainly for the construction of the mosque.

Everything appears to be negotiable following the arrival of Muslims to new communities, especially in the 'offending' areas. Muslims are famously sensitive concerning their feelings and tend to make known those things which might possibly cause offense.. The liberals will negotiate with them for a few minutes and then concede. If the hosts don't make these concessions they'll be called Islamophobes, and what could be worse than that?

Depends on the country. Some are more willing to bend over backwards than others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom