• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

ICE and Internet Cencorship

stsburns

American Infidel
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
If you use Firefox Web browser you would see this link at the bottom of your default web page.

[h=3]The Internet Blacklist Legislation - known as PROTECT IP Act in the Senate and Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA) in the House - is a threatening sequel to last year's COICA Internet censorship bill. Like its predecessor, this legislation invites Internet security risks, threatens online speech, and hampers Internet innovation. Urge your members of Congress to reject this Internet blacklist campaign in both its forms![/h]

https://wfc2.wiredforchange.com/o/9042/p/dia/action/public/?action_KEY=8173

Granted these laws are being used what congress defines as "Piracy," but they can later come along and censor anything they want. Net Neutrality was bad enough, please stop congress. I would like a Internet that is not completely controlled by large corporations. I am open to anyone else's thoughts on this matter or anything with Internet rights. :peace

So, if I wanted to shut down a site like DP I could post information on obtaining pirated materials over IRC and what servers/channels to hang out in on the forum and the ISP would be required to block access? I'm not sure more government involvement is really the best solution on this issue.

If you use Firefox Web browser you would see this link at the bottom of your default web page.
??? Why would I ???

People are too stupid to see through this. They only see theft and piracy, they don't think about how this will lead to government tyranny of the internet. It will give corporations control over censorship too, since the government is in their pocket.

This legislation should be opposed.

I'm not worried though. I'll just use tor to visit any websites they block. I just think it's a shame that America is about to get its very own version of the Chinese firewall. What a disgrace to the Constitution.

If this law passes it better make it to SCOTUS to get shot down.

People are too stupid to see through this.

People aren't that stupid.

I don't know of any individuals who are in favor of these laws. Rather, it's big businesses who are lobbying for these measures. And they're lobbying for these measures because they refuse to adapt their business model to the Information Revolution we are currently living in.

I don't know of any individuals who are in favor of these laws. Rather, it's big businesses who are lobbying for these measures. And they're lobbying for these measures because they refuse to adapt their business model to the Information Revolution we are currently living in.

Yep...and given the time and the money, they'll get it passed, too. One way or another.

What people are too stupid to realize is that they actually have the power to stop these sorts of things...

I'm all for the part that stops theft.

There's already a couple threads on this, but I don't mind getting the word out there more. This is yet another absolutely astounding assumption of unwarranted power by our government.

People are too stupid to see through this. They only see theft and piracy, they don't think about how this will lead to government tyranny of the internet. It will give corporations control over censorship too, since the government is in their pocket.

This legislation should be opposed.

I'm not worried though. I'll just use tor to visit any websites they block. I just think it's a shame that America is about to get its very own version of the Chinese firewall. What a disgrace to the Constitution.

If this law passes it better make it to SCOTUS to get shot down.

Sadly, the supreme court would probably uphold this.

We need to consider the technical implications of this bill as well. A DNSSEC compromised internet is not something anyone wants to deal with. The Internet would gradually become less and less useable, not to mention the DNS black market it could potentially create, like namecoin.

Unfortunately I doubt very many politicians even understand how the Internet works.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom