• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Ice age caves discovered underneath city of Montreal

JacksinPA

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-42227846

Amateur explorers have discovered a network of 15,000-year-old caves underneath a Canadian city.

The passageway, which is at least 200 metres long (660ft), was formed during the last ice age underneath what is now the city of Montreal.
==============================
Neat stuff right beneath a major city. Parts of this cave/tunnel complex are only accessable by boat.

Last edited:
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-42227846

Amateur explorers have discovered a network of 15,000-year-old caves underneath a Canadian city.

The passageway, which is at least 200 metres long (660ft), was formed during the last ice age underneath what is now the city of Montreal.
==============================
Neat stuff right beneath a major city. Parts of this cave/tunnel complex is only accessable by boat.

Thank you for passing this on. This is really a great development and Montreal for me is within driving distance ... at least in good weather.

Thank you for passing this on. This is really a great development and Montreal for me is within driving distance ... at least in good weather.

That's too bad. During my several visits to Montreal I was treated like S**t by French-speaking service people in restaurants. Not fun for me. But those caves are very interesting. I'm curious as to how they were found & if there is any public access.

BTW, I worked for a French company & got to France over 12 times on business. Except for the random surly cab driver, I never had a bad experience with French people. The one exception was in a bar in Alpe d'Huez in the French alps, I was having a beer with a colleague & some burly French mountaineer types at the next table started mocking my English, so we left rather than get in a confrontation. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alpe_d'Huez

Last edited:
It really puts things into perspectives thinking about people living here 15,000 years ago.

People always like to comment how rough life would have been 200 years ago and yet here we have proof of someone living 15,000 yrs ago.

It is hard to fathom what their lives were like.

We take so much for granted. We are fools.

Life is what you're used to. The contemporary norms. You grow up with it and take it for granted and find pleasure, happiness, pain, sadness, love, jealousy, and most importantly friends and family. Feeding the babies and/or just being able to feed the babies gives great pleasure. Maintaining that life for the simple pleasures that are a given by your way of life and that would be far different from the present. Cuddle next to your family for simple warmth and chew on an animal or a veggie as the moment might provide. That could translate to great pleasure in a foraging society. Hot dam, no TV, no fast food, no lounging around, find good water, find animals, maybe find fire, clean those animal skins for blandets as a family togetherness project, survival as the core motivation. Fools? I suspect there are fools in all ages. At the end of your life, your life is your friends and those of your family that are still friends. Monuments are cold, life is warm.
/

Life is what you're used to. The contemporary norms. You grow up with it and take it for granted and find pleasure, happiness, pain, sadness, love, jealousy, and most importantly friends and family. Feeding the babies and/or just being able to feed the babies gives great pleasure. Maintaining that life for the simple pleasures that are a given by your way of life and that would be far different from the present. Cuddle next to your family for simple warmth and chew on an animal or a veggie as the moment might provide. That could translate to great pleasure in a foraging society. Hot dam, no TV, no fast food, no lounging around, find good water, find animals, maybe find fire, clean those animal skins for blandets as a family togetherness project, survival as the core motivation. Fools? I suspect there are fools in all ages. At the end of your life, your life is your friends and those of your family that are still friends. Monuments are cold, life is warm.
/

No one in these last 15,000 years ago has lived in such luxury as we are now. Not even a distant second place to what we have achieved.

And yet we are the whiniest bunch of wimps ever.

Back
Top Bottom