• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Ibram X. Kendi on "Not racist"

Maybe because slavery was one of the biggest injustices in the history of humankind. We're not talking about Roman slaves thousands of years ago, but U.S. slaves 150 some years ago.
Uh Huh.
So even more recent abominations would be even more deserving of reparations like, oh, businesses suing the monsters who inflict unchecked lawbreakers on major cities.

100% correct

and also correct but people have to understand this has to be applied on an individual, circumstantial basis and must be defined

right now as a general statement its too subjective and undefined as to what "allows racial inequities to persevere" and "confronts racial inequities" actual means

they could mean a lot of different things to person A, B and C no matter race, gender, age, class etc

THIS IS FOR EVERYBODY TO THINK ABOUT

to put it in simple terms, if i was anybody's best friend here and I claimed to NOT be your enemy but the people I work with/for and or associate with are always bashing you, telling lies about you, treating you as a lesser or finding ways to oppress you and I do nothing, it would be a hard sell to claim im NOT be your enemy. I need to be anti-enemy

I mean if i did nothing would you respect me? would you consider me a friend? consider me not your enemy? consider me part of the problem? etc etc

they lie and talk crap about you, i should defend you and say thats a lie
they try to treat you as a lesser or oppress you i should speak up and call them out on that activity

that is in fact what I do for my loved ones now so why wouldnt i do it for people i respect and care about

now I might not have any real power to do anything but turning a blind eye to it is part of the problem and wrong
also not where i would not go is labeling the individual who does nothing as racist per say but i agree the label not racist is a hard sell since they are part of the problem . . .
they are complicit with racism and thats the rub . . . .

if that doesnt get your integrity, civility, moral and or dishonesty alarms ringing thing about this
how would you feel if all those things happened, a group of people were bashing and oppressing "your friend" you did nothing or even laughed with them and then realized your friend can hear and see you doing nothing . . . .
It often has to be confronted on a systemic basis. The individualistic approach hasnt really worked in so so many cases.

It often has to be confronted on a systemic basis. The individualistic approach hasnt really worked in so so many cases.
I agree, typically theres no way to make the best possible outcome of anything that is systemic and systematic on an individual level but it should be hit from all angles

All or nothing, eh?

Either participate in BLM riots, or, be labeled as being NOT "anti-racist".

Not a super way to gain ground, you know?

All or nothing, eh?

Totally missed the point along with strawmen.

All or nothing, eh?

who said that?
what BLM riots?
LMAO

Totally missed the point along with strawmen.
I didn't miss the point. Just because I'm not actively fighting against racism, doesn't mean I'm not anti racist.

What the definition the OP is trying to do is to frame it in such a light...that "not racist" and "anti racist" are unequal. Which sets the stage to shame folks into engaging in approved anti racist activities to prove one's anti racist chops. Else, be labeled NOT anti racist.

It's a less passive way of saying "get woke".

I didn't miss the point. Just because I'm not actively fighting against racism, doesn't mean I'm not anti racist.

What the definition the OP is trying to do is to frame it in such a light...that "not racist" and "anti racist" are unequal. Which sets the stage to shame folks into engaging in approved anti racist activities to prove one's anti racist chops. Else, be labeled NOT anti racist.

Fighting against racism is anti racist full stop. Not racist is a personal thing, anti racism is fighting racism of a societal level. Stop being so fragile.

who said that?
what BLM riots?
LMAO
One either allows racial inequities to persevere, as a racist, or confronts racial inequities, as an anti-racist. There is no in-between safe space of 'not racist.”

From the OP.

Fighting against racism is anti racist full stop. Stop being so fragile.
And folks who haven't got time in their lives for that shit aren't non anti racists. Get woke.

One either allows racial inequities to persevere, as a racist, or confronts racial inequities, as an anti-racist. There is no in-between safe space of 'not racist.”

From the OP.
weird that doesnt answer my questions at all

Ill ask you again

who said "All or nothing"
who said "Either participate in BLM riots, or, be labeled as being NOT "anti-racist".
What BLM riots

And folks who haven't got time in their lives for that shit aren't non anti racists. Get woke.
Folks who havnt got time are not anti racist simple as that.

no thats YOUR claim not what the OP said 🤷‍♂️

“That is what it truly means to think as an antiracist: to think there is nothing wrong with Black people, to think that racial groups are equal. There are lazy and unwise and harmful individuals of African ancestry. There are lazy and unwise and harmful individuals of European ancestry. There are industrious and wise and harmless individuals of European ancestry. There are industrious and wise and harmless individuals of African ancestry. But no racial group has ever had a monopoly on any type of human trait or gene—not now, not ever.”

and

“The opposite of racist isn't 'not racist.' It is 'anti-racist.' What's the difference? One endorses either the idea of a racial hierarchy as a racist, or racial equality as an anti-racist. One either believes problems are rooted in groups of people, as a racist, or locates the roots of problems in power and policies, as an anti-racist. One either allows racial inequities to persevere, as a racist, or confronts racial inequities, as an anti-racist. There is no in-between safe space of 'not racist.”

Link

Simple and valid. Is he wrong?
Mostly just self-righteous gobbledegook. I find it interesting that he says "inequities" and "equity" rather than "inequalities" and "equality". There's a big difference. And yes there ate whites who are lazy, etc. as well. But that's an excuse not a reason. I'm pretty sure those working to assist the whites aren't criticizing them for "acting white".

weird that doesnt answer my questions at all

Ill ask you again

who said "All or nothing"
who said "Either participate in BLM riots, or, be labeled as being NOT "anti-racist".
What BLM riots

Unclear how this doesn't come off as an ultimatum to you. Either be a racist and allow racism to thrive, or confront racism as an anti racists. There is no in-between safe space of "not racist".
Yes, my BLM comment was hyperbole. But my point still stands.

Folks who havnt got time are not anti racist simple as that.
Exactly.

So I'm a racist, according to this.

Exactly.

So I'm a racist, according to this.
Its like the white moderate speech Dr. King gave.

Unclear how this doesn't come off as an ultimatum to you. Either be a racist and allow racism to thrive, or confront racism as an anti racists. There is no in-between safe space of "not racist".
Because im honest, understand how facts, definitions and English works
and NOTHING you quoted even comes close to being equal to the retarded claims of

"All or nothing" or "Either participates in BLM riots, or, be labeled as being NOT "anti-racist".

hence your inability to logical show, prove and explain otherwise with a quote where anybody said that
its just your asinine assumption and totally nutty strawman

Yes, my BLM comment was hyperbole. But my point still stands.
no it completely fails and is getting destroyed hence why you cant back it up🤷‍♂️

what you quoted is nothing like your claim, there are no facts to make even close

“That is what it truly means to think as an antiracist: to think there is nothing wrong with Black people, to think that racial groups are equal. There are lazy and unwise and harmful individuals of African ancestry. There are lazy and unwise and harmful individuals of European ancestry. There are industrious and wise and harmless individuals of European ancestry. There are industrious and wise and harmless individuals of African ancestry. But no racial group has ever had a monopoly on any type of human trait or gene—not now, not ever.”

and

“The opposite of racist isn't 'not racist.' It is 'anti-racist.' What's the difference? One endorses either the idea of a racial hierarchy as a racist, or racial equality as an anti-racist. One either believes problems are rooted in groups of people, as a racist, or locates the roots of problems in power and policies, as an anti-racist. One either allows racial inequities to persevere, as a racist, or confronts racial inequities, as an anti-racist. There is no in-between safe space of 'not racist.”

Link

Simple and valid. Is he wrong?

It is not about him being wrong, it makes sense to say the opposite of racist is anti-racist.

The question comes down to what action, or lack of action, moves someone from anti-racist to not-racist. And in today's political climate that means messing the line a little to make a point about others when failing to do something meaningful in someone else's opinion about actual racists.

It is a form of laziness and casting a wider net in the never ending game of us vs. them mentality, by adding litmus tests for who gets to be an actual anti-racist as decided by others who have a vested interest in branding anyone they can find.

Because im honest, understand how facts, definitions and English works
and NOTHING you quoted even comes close to being equal to the retarded claims of

"All or nothing" or "Either participates in BLM riots, or, be labeled as being NOT "anti-racist".

hence your inability to logical show, prove and explain otherwise with a quote where anybody said that
its just your asinine assumption and totally nutty strawman

no it completely fails and is getting destroyed hence why you cant back it up🤷‍♂️

what you quoted is nothing like your claim, there are no facts to make even close
Our understanding of english must be vastly different then.

So if I'm out in the world, say, with my kids...let's say, at the grocery store in east bumble ****, missouri. And I see a group of racists going after a spanish dudes, my failure to confront them dooms me as being one of the two things listed in the bolded quote.

Sorry, but that's an ultimatum, and while I will confront racism when it's presented to me, I will NOT endanger my lively hood, health, safety, or that of my family, to do so. And if your next argument is to say that's not what he was saying, then please explain to me the bolded quote.

Systemic racism is a myth. Racism in general is the least of their worries. They need to be worried about the ghetto genocide they are committing on each other.

Our understanding of english must be vastly different then.
I agree 100%, im using the rules and facts of English and you are making it up and got caught LOL
again hence your inability to equate the crazy claims you made up
yep that's what was said
what was not said was the lies you posted of "all or nothing" or ""Either participate in BLM riots, or, be labeled as being NOT "anti-racist".
So if I'm out in the world, say, with my kids...let's say, at the grocery store in east bumble ****, missouri. And I see a group of racists going after a spanish dudes, my failure to confront "them" dooms me as being one of the two things listed in the bolded quote.
nope also not what was said, see this is helping you highlight where your factual mistakes are and your severe misunderstanding of English is vs the strawmen you are making up in your head
Sorry, but that's an ultimatum, and while I will confront racism when it's presented to me, I will NOT endanger my lively hood, health, safety, or that of my family, to do so.
once again thank you for highlighting your huge failure

nobody asked you to endanger yout lively hood, health, safety, or that of my family LMAO
Thanks for playing
And if your next argument is to say that's not what he was saying, then please explain to me the bolded quote.
not an argument its a fact that's not what was said, you inability to understand that common sense is not my concern nor is it my responsibility to rid you of your topical ignorance
if you disagree its your job to factually prove and support your claim . . you cant, so far you got nothing but your failed made up asinine assumptions and retarded strawmen
keep trying though its funny watching you trying to dig out of the hole you dug instead of just making a post based on honesty and integrity and admit what you said was not said.
lets see what you choose to do, dig deeper or make a post based on honesty and integrity
good luck!
😁🍿🍿

Systemic racism is a myth. Racism in general is the least of their worries. They need to be worried about the ghetto genocide they are committing on each other.
Incorrect. Those ghettos are the result of systemic racism. Do you even know the origins of the word "ghetto"?

Back
Top Bottom