• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Ian McCormack - an Atheist - Dead on Morgue Slab - Goes to Hell . . .

For every one of these stories, there's a 1,000 stories of people who were temporarily dead and said there was nothing.

For every one of these stories, there's a 1,000 stories of people who were temporarily dead and said there was nothing.

Really?

Look, others may not have recalled what happened to them after they died, but they most certainly didn't experience the absurdity of nothing and come back to tell us there was nothing. Right?

No one has ever been brought back from being dead. They're all a bunch of baloney.

No one has ever been brought back from being dead. They're all a bunch of baloney.

That's simply not true, it's happened a lot. People have been declared officially dead by every medical definition, just to come back.

Really?

Look, others may not have recalled what happened to them after they died, but they most certainly didn't experience the absurdity of nothing and come back to tell us there was nothing. Right?

What's absurd about nothing?

Until a person is "brain dead" they are not truly "dead." As long as the brain continues to function all sorts of effects are bound to occur. Resuscitate a person who has been "dead" for a couple of hours or more...then we'll know if there is an afterlife...maybe.

I followed the Dead and I remember a lot of tie-dye and marijuana smoke.

When I awoke, they swore me to secrecy.

That's simply not true, it's happened a lot. People have been declared officially dead by every medical definition, just to come back.

What's absurd about nothing?

Something, but I 'm not sure exactly what.

Well, I could be wrong. But what I consider dead is brain dead. No one's ever been brought back from that. I talked about a young man I knew who benefited greatly from affirmative action in another thread. He told me he was declared dead and woke up in the morgue when he was in the military. He also experienced 'an afterlife.' Very moved by it, he was. But he obviously wasn't dead. As in dead dead. *shrug*

Well, I could be wrong. But what I consider dead is brain dead. No one's ever been brought back from that. I talked about a young man I knew who benefited greatly from affirmative action in another thread. He told me he was declared dead and woke up in the morgue when he was in the military. He also experienced 'an afterlife.' Very moved by it, he was. But he obviously wasn't dead. As in dead dead. *shrug*

Ian was declared brain dead. He "awoke" in the morgue.

When you say "he obviously wasn't dead", you mean "obviously one can not be restored to life after death by God." In short, you beg the question. You don't know. You just don't believe.

Last edited:
For the sake of arguments, lets assume that Mr. McCormak's story is actually true. It would demonstrate the incredible unfairness of gods judgement. Why does McCormak get to come back and repent for the error of his ways when most everyone else doesn't get a second chance? Why does God show him actual evidence of hell while the rest of atheists are denied it?

For the sake of arguments, lets assume that Mr. McCormak's story is actually true. It would demonstrate the incredible unfairness of gods judgement. Why does McCormak get to come back and repent for the error of his ways when most everyone else doesn't get a second chance? Why does God show him actual evidence of hell while the rest of atheists are denied it?

"God works in mysterious ways." :lamo

For that matter, why go to such extraordinary effort to convince all of us atheists that he doesn't exist in the first place? Why make us skeptical and only swayed by evidence, and then not offer any?

"God works in mysterious ways." :lamo

Mysterious, but also astoundingly inefficient and breathtakingly cruel.

My best friend was dead for a little bit due to an aneurysm, he didn't see anything. I believe that these "experiences" are just hallucinations caused by trauma. The brain can cause some pretty weird things to happen when it's all screwed up by something like hypovolemic shock and suffocation due to the stopping of the heart.

Ian was declared brain dead. He "awoke" in the morgue.

When you say "he obviously wasn't dead", you mean "obviously one can not be restored to life after death by God." In short, you beg the question. You don't know. You just don't believe.

You don't know either, you just believe.

You don't know either, you just believe.

Raising someone from the dead would be an easy thing for God. Do I believe Ian's story? Sure. It's credible. He's credible. Could that belief be wrong. Sure.

I followed the Dead and I remember a lot of tie-dye and marijuana smoke.

When I awoke, they swore me to secrecy.

When I've come back from The Dead, I usually munched out and then crashed.

But sometimes I went to an after-party, so I believe there is life after The Dead

Raising someone from the dead would be an easy thing for God. Do I believe Ian's story? Sure. It's credible. He's credible. Could that belief be wrong. Sure.

Ain't ever seen nothing but zombies raised from the dead. So it's not believable. Obviously if he were "brought back to life", then he weren't never "dead" in the final and infinite meaning of the term.

Ain't ever seen nothing but zombies raised from the dead. So it's not believable. Obviously if he were "brought back to life", then he weren't never "dead" in the final and infinite meaning of the term.

Your argument is nonsensical. Who taught you this cynical and lifeless existence, and why did you believe it?

There's different kinds of dead. If the guy came back, it means he was still resuscitable, and able to suffer a sever hallucination.

maybe because their atheism trumps their experience of hell, so he figures there's no point in giving them a second chance.

or maybe because he knew this guy was into self promotion so the deal was he'd get a second chance in exchange for marketing the story.

maybe because their atheism trumps their experience of hell, so he figures there's no point in giving them a second chance.

That is nonsense. God always give people people a choice when they are tested in the bible. He doesn't go "well since I"m god I already know the outcome, so I won't even bother to let you make the decision yourself".

or maybe because he knew this guy was into self promotion so the deal was he'd get a second chance in exchange for marketing the story.

An omnipotent being has absolutely no need to cut "deals" with self promoting attention seekers, if god wants publicity, he can has much better ways of getting it.

Is it me, or if someone badmouthed Christianity the way atheism is being badmouthed here, it wouldn't be allowed in "religious discussions."

Is it me, or if someone badmouthed Christianity the way atheism is being badmouthed here, it wouldn't be allowed in "religious discussions."

I have become a little confused, too, after reading the current rules for the religion forum. I kind of don't think this forum should be a sanctuary for atheism as well as religion, as the current rules seem to state. DBAJ is probably enough to keep discussions of atheism on track, and these discussions can occur in the philosophy forum. Religious discussions did need some kind of special protection, at least at one time, because there was a group of atheists who were being stubborn jerks about derailing every thread on the subject.

This probably isn't the place to discuss this, however. DP would probably prefer that this kind of discussion occur in Feedback. Maybe it already did, and I missed it.

I am an atheist, BTW.

Back
Top Bottom