• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Ian McCormack - an Atheist - Dead on Morgue Slab - Goes to Hell . . .

Have you ever been in shock, experienced head trauma, or even dehydration and starvation? I have. I've even seen that light at the end of the tunnel that people talk about. It was just an anomoly called shock, caused by my body shutting down. That warm peaceful feeling I felt in that ditch was my brain telling my body that everything is alright so I could hopefully rest and gather enough strength to get up and move to safety. It's a survival mechanism, and it's more powerful than you could ever imagine. I'm still alive because this masterpiece of biological engineering did what it was built to do. If there is a God, I'd say (s)he's one hell of an engineer.

Perhaps you had a NDE and didn't realize it... Not all NDEs result in seeing the other side. Some are mundane where people see their body lying on the bed, or they float out into the hallway and see and listen to family members, nurses or doctors.. Some see spirit.... so it is a very individual experience..Yes I have been in shock, have suffered dehydration and heat stroke, almost died from a ruptured appendix... I didn't have an NDE, as I understand them, but I did see spirit... I'm glad that you are alive and well...

Perhaps you had a NDE and didn't realize it... Not all NDEs result in seeing the other side.
That's the problem. If no experience is ever the same, just like no injury is the same. Even if it's the same type of wound, in the same spot, on two different people you will not get the same result because our biological chemistry's are all different. We react differently to things. That doesn't mean it's spiritual, it's biological.

Some are mundane where people see their body lying on the bed, or they float out into the hallway and see and listen to family members, nurses or doctors.. Some see spirit.... so it is a very individual experience..Yes I have been in shock, have suffered dehydration and heat stroke, almost died from a ruptured appendix... I didn't have an NDE, as I understand them, but I did see spirit... I'm glad that you are alive and well...
I was injured badly in a car accident. They said when they found me, I was trying to walk away. I lost a lot of blood, and it was the middle of the summer in a very hot and humid climate. I don't remember anyh of it, except being in a grassy ditch, and that there was a tunneling light that turned out to be the walls in the hospital room. It was no spirit, it was just my brain recalibrating itself as it began to regain functionality.

That's the problem. If no experience is ever the same, just like no injury is the same. Even if it's the same type of wound, in the same spot, on two different people you will not get the same result because our biological chemistry's are all different. We react differently to things. That doesn't mean it's spiritual, it's biological.

I was injured badly in a car accident. They said when they found me, I was trying to walk away. I lost a lot of blood, and it was the middle of the summer in a very hot and humid climate. I don't remember anyh of it, except being in a grassy ditch, and that there was a tunneling light that turned out to be the walls in the hospital room. It was no spirit, it was just my brain recalibrating itself as it began to regain functionality.

Biology has nothing to do with a spiritual experience.....Everybody that is in a serious accident doesn't necessarily have a spiritual experience...Some do, some don't.... Even if you had one, you would probably negate it.... I have and I know others that have also...

How many atheists had become believers? We only know mostly about the prominent ones.
A lot of former atheists or non-Christians end up converting, becoming apologists for Christianity....and some become martyrs.

Surely they didn't just suddenly decide to change their minds without anything to convince them, or to make them.
They all seem to have something in common: They've experienced God.

ORRRR they think they are buying some insurance later in life. Done had their fun now time to think of the soul's retirement. Past a certain age living a more 'christian' life is a lot easier than when dumb young and fulla cu... well you get the idea. As a convert once told me- hey it costs me nothing to believe, and if I am wrong and there is no afterlife then I'm in the same boat as before.

Reminds me of the great robber barons of the Guilded Age- couldn't treat their fellow man with any level of Christian Respect while amassing their fortunes, but as the final curtain drew near suddenly they decided to start trying to buy that stairway to heaven.

I have always viewed the 700 Club antics with a slightly raised eyebrow. By the sound of the story this guy wasn't near a major trauma center but in a rather remote location- the trouble he had even arranging for an ambulance- I seriously doubt anyone could confirm he was brain dead.

The Faithful see these unconfirmed stories as a sign, those on the fence smile and the rest just groan and shake their collective heads.

That goes either way: it doesn't necessarily mean it's biological. It could be spiritual.

ORRRR they think they are buying some insurance later in life. Done had their fun now time to think of the soul's retirement. Past a certain age living a more 'christian' life is a lot easier than when dumb young and fulla cu... well you get the idea. As a convert once told me- hey it costs me nothing to believe, and if I am wrong and there is no afterlife then I'm in the same boat as before.

Reminds me of the great robber barons of the Guilded Age- couldn't treat their fellow man with any level of Christian Respect while amassing their fortunes, but as the final curtain drew near suddenly they decided to start trying to buy that stairway to heaven.

I have always viewed the 700 Club antics with a slightly raised eyebrow. By the sound of the story this guy wasn't near a major trauma center but in a rather remote location- the trouble he had even arranging for an ambulance- I seriously doubt anyone could confirm he was brain dead.

The Faithful see these unconfirmed stories as a sign, those on the fence smile and the rest just groan and shake their collective heads.

You see, that's the thing with non-believers. They want "proven" miracles - yet by its very definition, miracles are inexplicable and highly improbable events.

The supernatural cannot be explained by natural or scientific laws. Yet.

I just saw on tv news someone who woke up from a coma speaking in tongues - a foreign language!

Apparently there's a name for that phenomenon. Xenoglossy.

For example, a person who speaks German fluently, but who is not a native German speaker, has never studied German, never been to a German-speaking country, and never associated with German speakers or had any other source of exposure to the German language, would be said to exhibit xenoglossy. The existence of xenoglossy is not generally accepted by linguists and psychologists (Samarin 1976, Thomason 1984, 1987, 1996). However, psychiatrist and paranormal researcher Ian Stevenson documented several cases that he considered authentic (Stevenson, 2001).

The New Testament claims that xenoglossy took place at Pentecost. The Book of Acts (2:1-13) describes Galileans speaking in non-native languages drawn from all over the Roman Empire, so that visitors to Jerusalem could understand them declaring "the mighty works of God". The visitors included Parthians, Medes, Elamites, and residents of Mesopotamia, Judaea, Cappadocia, Pontus, Asia, Phrygia, Pamphylia, Egypt, Cyrenian Libya, and Rome. The author of the Book of Acts calls this phenomenon "speaking in tongues", and other instances of it are mentioned in Acts 10:46; 19:6 and 1 Corinthians (12-14).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xenoglossy

Last edited:
Biology has nothing to do with a spiritual experience.....Everybody that is in a serious accident doesn't necessarily have a spiritual experience...Some do, some don't.... Even if you had one, you would probably negate it.... I have and I know others that have also...
Biology has everything to do with it. The perceptions of everything we experience as human beings are neurological processes. People intentionally distort their perceptions through the use of drugs. A lot of people claim to have had a spiritual experience on hallucinogens, but in reality, they were tripping balls on something that warps the mind's ability to process information.

That goes either way: it doesn't necessarily mean it's biological. It could be spiritual.
I disagree.

Student wakes up from coma speaking fluent CHINESE

Read more: Man wakes up from coma speaking fluent CHINESE | The Sun |News

He studied Mandarin Chinese in school.

You see, that's the thing with non-believers. They want "proven" miracles - yet by its very definition, miracles are inexplicable and highly improbable events. The supernatural cannot be explained by natural or scientific laws. Yet. I just saw on tv news someone who woke up from a coma speaking in tongues - a foreign language! Apparently there's a name for that phenomenon. Xenoglossy.]

I think you hit on the very heart of the non miracle believers' line of thought. in days gone by thunder was the Gawds' voices, lightening his anger- those were miracles to early man. Now we have a much better understanding of the how and why of both of those. I believe the more we learn the farther from our lives God retreats.

Interesting you compare a serious injury- such as a coma to a sudden speaking in a different language as in Acts. One has a brain event and one while just hanging out. If the Book of Acts event had happened there would have been a contemporary report in ANY of the other languages. Lack of verification by other than 'believers' tends to discount the event.

The proof miracles are a very small subset- highly cherry picked- that ignores 90% of what can't be 'explained'. So was Greensburg, Kansas the USofA version of Sodom? In 2007 95% of the town was wiped out by a huge tornado. What did they do to incur Gawd's wrath? If you believe God did the miracle then you have to believe He sent the tornado or otherwise His power is limited.

I wish you had included Acts 2:13 Some who saw thought they [those who spoke in other languages] simply had too much wine.... :)

I don't think so......Out of body experiences can sometimes be confusing, but NDEs are usually vivid, clear and memorable.....

I don't think that them being vivid makes them credible. Just my opinion.

That's simply not true, it's happened a lot. People have been declared officially dead by every medical definition, just to come back.

Declared dead and dead are two different things.

Declared dead and dead are two different things.

It doesn't really matter. Either an after death experience like this is possible and there's an extreme contradiction of testimonies, or there is no such thing and it doesn't matter anyways.

Either way, this can not be considered a case for god or heaven.

It doesn't really matter. Either an after death experience like this is possible and there's an extreme contradiction of testimonies, or there is no such thing and it doesn't matter anyways.

Either way, this can not be considered a case for god or heaven.

Of course it matters. There is no such thing as an after death experience.

Of course it matters. There is no such thing as an after death experience.

That's debatable, as either side can't really prove one way or another. The only factual, logical conclusion you can come to is that this event in the OP doesn't confirm or deny the existence of god or heaven.

In reference to the OP, no, it doesn't matter what you call it.

That's debatable, as either side can't really prove one way or another. The only factual, logical conclusion you can come to is that this event in the OP doesn't confirm or deny the existence of god or heaven.

In reference to the OP, no, it doesn't matter what you call it.
No but it does prove that the guy wasn't dead.

You see, that's the thing with non-believers. They want "proven" miracles - yet by its very definition, miracles are inexplicable and highly improbable events.

The supernatural cannot be explained by natural or scientific laws. Yet.
By your definition, a miracle cannot be explained, and are highly improbable. These hallucinations are probable, since they seem to happen to quite a few people, and they're easily explained.

No but it does prove that the guy wasn't dead.

No, we just discussed this. You can't prove he wasn't "dead". If you'd like to present real arguments instead of this childish back and forth "nuh-uh", I'll be here.

No, we just discussed this. You can't prove he wasn't "dead". If you'd like to present real arguments instead of this childish back and forth "nuh-uh", I'll be here.
It is always impossible to prove something is not so. One can only prove that something is so. He wasn't dead because he is now alive. That should be proof enough for anyone.

Biology has everything to do with it. The perceptions of everything we experience as human beings are neurological processes. People intentionally distort their perceptions through the use of drugs. A lot of people claim to have had a spiritual experience on hallucinogens, but in reality, they were tripping balls on something that warps the mind's ability to process information.

I disagree.

He studied Mandarin Chinese in school.

How would you explain a woman who was in a bad accident, was comatose in the hospital, her soul/conscienceness leaves her body--she sees herself lying on the bed, surrounded by family, goes out to the hallway, watches and listens to her son and nephew talking, wanders about for a bit, comes back into her body--eventually wakes up to see her mother and stepfather standing by the bed, only the stepfather had transitioned a couple of years before this...Explain how you think that biology played any part of this.....

Did this guy go to hell because he was a atheist or maybe something else he isn't telling us ......

How would you explain a woman who was in a bad accident, was comatose in the hospital, her soul/conscienceness leaves her body--she sees herself lying on the bed, surrounded by family, goes out to the hallway, watches and listens to her son and nephew talking, wanders about for a bit, comes back into her body--eventually wakes up to see her mother and stepfather standing by the bed, only the stepfather had transitioned a couple of years before this...Explain how you think that biology played any part of this.....

DMT? (Dimethyltryptamine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

Guys, they've tested these "near-death" and/or "revived from dead" experiences. They started hiding stuff on top of lights, shelves, and other "tall" things. Funny enough, even though most of their interviews involve seeing an eagle-eye view of the room or even floating through the ceiling, not one interviewee has been able to describe anything they couldn't have seen from eye-level. There's just no evidence that they have obtained any knowledge from "beyond".

I won't act like I'm not afraid of death, I am, but I've found a lot of peace in the notion that it's an unknown. By definition, you have no idea what's going to happen, so why be afraid of it. Even the atheist idea of "nothing" is still not a completely known experience; I've never died and experienced this "nothing", so how can I know it? I don't. I feel that your death will be defined by your life. Just live a good life and stop worrying about whether you're "right" about death.

Back
Top Bottom