• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Iam not a felon.

Simple, I will not turn over any firearms ever. As in never ever not even one.
If they want them bad enough, they will have to come get them.

Another big talker/

Another big talker/

Big talk of a macho nature is something you will see a lot on this issue. There are some on the right fringes who seem to look forward to the day of right wing jubilee rising up in a bloody war against the government and killing fellow Americans the way an obese gourmand looks forward to an all you can eat buffet on a five star cruise ship prepared by a top chef.

Big talk of a macho nature is something you will see a lot on this issue. There are some on the right fringes who seem to look forward to the day of right wing jubilee rising up in a bloody war against the government and killing fellow Americans the way an obese gourmand looks forward to an all you can eat buffet on a five star cruise ship prepared by a top chef.
I am sure alot of people called men like George Washington "big talkers". Until talk stopped and action was taken.

I am sure alot of people called men like George Washington "big talkers". Until talk stopped and action was taken.

I have no idea what George Washington has to do with paranoid right wing posters on an internet site engaging in sick wet dream fantasies about murdering their fellow Americans. :doh:roll:

I know a few good people who are ex felons, I know some bad ex felons too. Here's the thing, the ones who decided to turn their lives around did not realize how badly they would be persecuted after their sentence, like professional licenses not being available to them, no access to certain jobs, etc.
Yes, they made bad choices, but after they realized they were on the wrong track and are good citizens they are still being smacked around.

Life is hard, harder when you are stupid. Or engage in stupid things.

I have no idea what George Washington has to do with paranoid right wing posters on an internet site engaging in sick wet dream fantasies about murdering their fellow Americans. :doh:roll:
I have no "sick wet dream of murdering my fellow Americans". Only a real and planned for commitment to defend my rights as an American.

No sir, never been convicted of a felony.
Yet I have people in government and politicians and special interest groups just begging for me to be stripped of my 2A rights.
I have made it to 50, some scrapes with the law when I was younger and not so younger.
Nothing that rises to the level of felony though.
I do the usual, pay my taxes (then watch the money get pissed away), work well over 40 hours a week (over 60 sometimes), support myself and my family, love my family and friends.
I can be violent when it requires it. And have in the protection of myself, family and friends as well as for work.
But 99% of the time I am just a good old southern boy who likes drag racing, guns and a few beers. All separately.
I hear people that have not been able to keep from running astray of the law wanting the same rights as me. Why should they? If I am able to keep my rights? Why not them?
Loss of rights is part of the punishment for their crimes, above and beyond the jail time or probation. Its known going in they will lose some rights if convicted. The shock and surprise of that should not be there.

Because when Rights can be taken away permanently then they are no longer Rights. They are priviledges. And many laws that are currently felonies should not be felonies...particularly felonies that take away a right when that felony had nothing to do with the right being taken away.

I have no "sick wet dream of murdering my fellow Americans". Only a real and planned for commitment to defend my rights as an American.

Glad to hear that. Sadly, others are out there with serious delusions and have no problem expressing them.

Felons are more likely to commit crimes. It was his choice to be a felon. So it is not unfair to take the ability to have guns.

Thieves should not have guns. First we do not know whether he or his companions were carrying guns.Should we take
their word for it?

Our right to be safe from criminals threats from criminals trumps the right of a felon to have guns.

Obvious reference to me. No court has to take my word for it. The court already knows.

The US recidivism rate is about 60%.

I disagree with any felon owning guns.

Why is the recidivism rate that high? Is it perhaps because they are treated like second class citizens?

Why is the recidivism rate that high? Is it perhaps because they are treated like second class citizens?
Who made that happen? Me? Your parents? The Police? Teachers? NO, you did it. You deal with it.

Who made that happen? Me? Your parents? The Police? Teachers? NO, you did it. You deal with it.

By your own admission you have committed multiple acts of violence. Kal'Stang stated that his crime was non-violent.

I'm a felon
you're a felon
he's a felon
wouldn't you like to be a felon too? ;)

You've almost certainly committed undetected felonies and didn't even know it.

We have too many laws on the books, and we've gone way past the point that common sense can keep you out of trouble.

As I mentioned in the other thread, if you went to a foreign country and brought back a potted plant (thinking it was fine and harmless), there is a federal law that says if ANY treaty with ANY country bans that plant from import or export, you committed a FELONY trying to bring it in to the country... whether you knew it or not!

There's lots of what I term "technical felonies".... or bull**** felonies.... and you've probably committed one or two in your lifetime.

We need laws the common man can understand. We can't even get an ACCURATE count of how many federal laws and regulations-with-force-of-law there are... the bureau that is supposed to keep track has to ESTIMATE.

The first step would be to kill all the lawyers. Oh wait, that's a felony!

No offence Turtle, lol.

Life is hard, harder when you are stupid. Or engage in stupid things.
Stupid is not always a permanent thing. Lots of young people start life out as stupid and then realize exactly what you've just said. Problem is when stupid kids get with the program and decide to be smarter as adults, some other adults punish them for past stupidity. There is a statute of limit against punishment for crimes, why not a statute of limitations for punishment after sentence? Pretty simple really, a person doesn't reoffend within five years then chances are pretty good they aren't going to again.

I don't think the whole 60% is because of justice system and post incarceration issues but I would say a healthy percentage of that 60% is. I would say that around 20% of incarcerated people have committed violence and really belong in prison, most are drug offenders, and then there are the non-violent/other, and multiple DWI offenders, etc. only people prone to violence really should have to fight for the restoration of their right to keep and bear because they would be the most likely to abuse it. Until we get to a point though that those who would victimize others with violence or intimidation of violence get the most time we'll continue to have these issues.

More perhaps they do do not change their spots, and do what they know best.

No guns for naughty felons. You have to get a compound bow like Bo and Luke Duke.

dukes67.jpg

Hahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!

boss-hogg-hazzard.jpg

More perhaps they do do not change their spots, and do what they know best.
I don't buy that. Sure, people who are violent or victimizers either need to be put in rehabilitation programs or incarcerated for long stretches. People who are in the drug scene whether that be selling, possessing, or buying have a separate set of issues, some are criminally minded(sellers) just exploiting the black market created by drug laws, users are addicted, instead of getting them help we just "deal with them" at 45K+ a year a pop and have so many of them that we don't have room for people who truly belong there. I think of what I would do if someone told me "Them's the rules, you can't get a professional license, can't work in these places(By law, I believe in private business rights and they should be able to hire/fire at will) can't do this or that" and how desperate a person can get with the boot on them, even after they've fully repaid their debt to society.
Let's say a person went to the trouble of attending rehabilitation programs during their incarceration, realized they were on the wrong path, then had an "Aha" moment. I've never been a felon but have changed certain things I was doing in life because after getting perspective, I was wrong. It's possible for people to improve, not easy, and sure, some never will, but to put a blanket punishment on former felons to me is just asking them to do something again out of desperation.

Back
Top Bottom