• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

I wonder why people who are falsely accused of fraud don't try to sue for libel per se

axelthefox

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate

cite.

libel per se​

libel per se​

n. broadcast or written publication of a false statement about another which accuses him/her of a crime, immoral acts, inability to perform his/her profession, having a loathsome disease (like syphilis), or dishonesty in business. Such claims are considered so obviously harmful that malice need not be proved to obtain a judgment for "general damages," and not just specific losses.

The target may face false information about involvement in criminal activity. ome of these lies are so harmful, the individual may face an arrest

I think if someone who was falsely accused of fraud tried to sue for libel per se they probably could win the case against them.

Has to be something worth suing over. By that I mean a reasonable expectation of $$$$$$$$$$
I'm sure you're aware of the lawsuit by Dominion Voting Systems.

Libel isn't something you can pursue in Small Claims and there's no such thing as a pro-bono libel attorney, or if there is, they're more rare than hen's teeth.

Has to be something worth suing over. By that I mean a reasonable expectation of $$$$$$$$$$
I'm sure you're aware of the lawsuit by Dominion Voting Systems.

Libel isn't something you can pursue in Small Claims and there's no such thing as a pro-bono libel attorney, or if there is, they're more rare than hen's teeth.
Well i have heard that people have lost jobs and have found it hard finding another job after they been falsely accused of something. I think that is enough to sue over, over the accusation ruining someone's reputation.

Well i have heard that people have lost jobs and have found it hard finding another job after they been falsely accused of something. I think that is enough to sue over, over the accusation ruining someone's reputation.

DEFAMATION

You can sue over an accusation that ruins your reputation – commonly referred to as a defamation lawsuit.

However, in order to gain a monetary award you must be able to demonstrate to a judge that you suffered emotionally and/or a financial loss as a direct consequence of this defamation. This can be difficult for you to prove.

I haven’t heard of anybody going to jail for defamation but I’m not positive that it isn’t an jailable offense.

STEVEN PAGONES

In 1998, Steven Pagones was awarded $345,000 through a lawsuit for defamation of character.

This was a case in which the defendant, Pagones, had been accused of rape. It was a huge story in the media because Al Sharpton was the most vocal accuser and Sharpton was popular at the time.

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tawana_Brawley_rape_allegations#Aftermath

Back
Top Bottom