• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

I wonder if Alinsky ever contemplated someone like Trump when writing his "rules for radicals"?

Hicup

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
I wonder if Alinsky ever contemplated someone like Trump when writing his "rules for radicals"?

The dimwits have been using his hand book for literally 25 years, and quite effectively. One of my biggest criticisms of the GOP and why I've never been inclined to register or support them, is their weak-kneed approach to politics. They've been allowing the dimwits to ever so slowly nudge policy towards the left for 2 decades, and it's been working. Along comes Trump, who, better than ANY republican ever, including Reagan, has no problem throwing it back in their faces. Yet, he doesn't stop there. Historically, the GOP would call a press conference, put forth their perception of the facts, and hope American's agreed with them on policy differences. Not Trump, he actively engages them, and trolls them in such a way that would actually make Alinsky blush. He brilliantly outs them, forces the entire dimwits party to embrace buffoonery, moronism, and anti-American ideology.

Yes, Trump has literally, with one tweet, forced the dimwits to not denounce domestic terrorism, call for no borders, free healthcare to anyone that makes it here illegally, and embrace a green plan that will conservatively cost 93T dollars over 10 years... LOL

I know a lot of people are starting to recognize Trump's brilliant political instincts but I want to go on record that I have been saying this since the primaries, 3 years ago. I saw it, and openly expressed why he was doing what he was doing when no one else caught on. So yeah, I want street cred on this

The beauty of it all, and I mean the exquisite panorama is that Trump has been able to convince the entire republican base that he's a conservative traditional republican, all the while actually being a traditional liberal democrat, on policy, issues, and actions! The only none traditionally democrat thing he's done is put true constitutionalists on the Supreme court, (well sorta) everything else, democrats supported with wide margins even a s little as 12 - 14 years ago.

It's absolute magic!

Tim-

Re: I wonder if Alinsky ever contemplated someone like Trump when writing his "rules for radicals"?

“Trump is brilliant because lots of stupid people like the stupid things he says”.

Brilliant indeed!

Re: I wonder if Alinsky ever contemplated someone like Trump when writing his "rules for radicals"?

Bingo..... That is why Trump is the president.

Agree with most of your post but disagree with this: traditional liberal democrat, on policy, issues, and actions.

Look at the Supreme court nominations he made. Not liberal in any sense. The 2nd amendment same not a liberal view.

Anyway he tears them up most days.

Bingo..... That is why Trump is the president.

Agree with most of your post but disagree with this: traditional liberal democrat, on policy, issues, and actions.

Look at the Supreme court nominations he made. Not liberal in any sense. The 2nd amendment same not a liberal view.

Anyway he tears them up most days.

I addressed that, I agree with you, see my post. ;)

Tim-

“Trump is brilliant because lots of stupid people like the stupid things he says”.

Brilliant indeed!

Jet, you're a smart guy, put on your none-biased hat for one sec. Think about this from a purely political position and what he's been able to do to the democrats. Any other President saying the things he says would have cowered under the pressure. Not Trump, he's literally untouchable politically. Political scientists will be pondering this for the decades to come, as to why he is Teflon. I have my ideas, but outside of your silly comment above, try and give me your opinion of just why you think Trump is so unscathed, where anyone else would be crucified. It's more than just "stupid people like him", surely you know this. There's something very different about his presidency.

Tim-

So wait...is this thread basically meant to say Trump is a more effective insulter?

The dimwits have been using his hand book for literally 25 years, and quite effectively.

The Left shelved the Alinsky book forty plus years ago.
It was Dick Armey who picked up Rules for Radicals and made it mandatory reading for the Tea Party.
The Alinsky book is for seizing power, but once you have power, once you have a seat at the table, then you must transition away from Alinsky and focus on leadership.

But Trump and his crew have doubled down on Alinsky.
And clearly you've never laid eyes on his book, much less read it.

Right wing populism and outright demogaugery has always "worked" to one extent or another with people susceptible to that sort of thing. Figuring that out is no accomplishment or stroke of genius.

What Trump got right that so many of us got wrong is that we thought most of us had moved beyond such things as a people. Boy oh boy but were we wrong about that.

Not Trump, he's literally untouchable politically. Political scientists will be pondering this for the decades to come, as to why he is Teflon.

Not political scientists, drug counselors and cult deprogrammers.
Trump sells a drug, and his ardent followers are addicted to it.
Trump's foul tweets and his encouragement to "stick it to the libtards" are never based on reality because what he offers is an escape FROM reality.

There is nothing mysterious about the source of Trump's power, it is a cult of personality, a reality TV show.

The Left shelved the Alinsky book forty plus years ago.
It was Dick Armey who picked up Rules for Radicals and made it mandatory reading for the Tea Party.
The Alinsky book is for seizing power, but once you have power, once you have a seat at the table, then you must transition away from Alinsky and focus on leadership.

But Trump and his crew have doubled down on Alinsky.
And clearly you've never laid eyes on his book, much less read it.

Haha...Good one! How very Alinsky of you. ;)

Tim-

Not political scientists, drug counselors and cult deprogrammers.
Trump sells a drug, and his ardent followers are addicted to it.
Trump's foul tweets and his encouragement to "stick it to the libtards" are never based on reality because what he offers is an escape FROM reality.

There is nothing mysterious about the source of Trump's power, it is a cult of personality, a reality TV show.

Yet, he just kicked the asses of the entire dimwit party with less than 250 characters.. ;)

But, you know, Trump stupid, his followers stupider, we get it.. I want you folks to be as loud as can be with this message all the rest of this year and especially next year.. Love it, you guys are true geniuses.. !

Tim-

Yet, he just kicked the asses of the entire dimwit party with less than 250 characters.. ;)

But, you know, Trump stupid, his followers stupider, we get it.. I want you folks to be as loud as can be with this message all the rest of this year and especially next year.. Love it, you guys are true geniuses.. !

Tim-

Yeah. I’m so dumb I thought democrats were supposed to put citizens interests first. “The party of the little guy”. I didn’t know it really meant “Little in the that he demands little in wages because they are illegal aliens”

Are you speaking for me now, because I struggle to find any part of my posts here where I implied that he's stupid.
Perhaps you could show me, or perhaps you have difficulty comprehending what I wrote.
That still wouldn't make Trump or his followers stupid, but it would indicate that you might be acting willfully ignorant, and that is your choice.

I won't comment on the possibility that you might have had addiction issues in the past, but I'll cheerfully admit that, as someone who is looking at their twenty-fifth year of sobriety, I feel that I have the ability to recognize familiar patterns.
So repeating for all needing, Trump sells a very addictive drug, and there's no shortage of people who desperately want an escape from reality.

I also don't have any concerns about your return to reality. I encourage you to continue living inside your bubble, feeling secure in the belief that Trump's base and that base alone can command a POTUS victory in 2020.
Don't you dare look outside the bubble or else you might notice that it is shrinking.

Yeah, that was some ass-kicking.
Perhaps it is time to double down, or triple down, or encourage him to squeeze out a few more tweets like that.

By the way, keep repeating that anybody who criticizes the direction our country is going is unamerican and insist that they leave.
Spell it out in 300 foot high letters on a mountainside somewhere, perhaps someplace in Kentucky or Georgia.

Run around as much as possible, screaming at strangers to "get out of my country!"
That's the ticket.

By the way, keep repeating that anybody who criticizes the direction our country is going is unamerican and insist that they leave.
Spell it out in 300 foot high letters on a mountainside somewhere, perhaps someplace in Kentucky or Georgia.

Run around as much as possible, screaming at strangers to "get out of my country!"
That's the ticket.

Great idea! Probably no need to waste any money on it though, we have our pusher in chief doing it for us for free... ;) By the way, your USA Today (Laughable) article was short on details, and oh yeah, half way through it jumped me to a MacAfee subscription renewal, yet, I have never used that ****ty antivirus software.. Weird, but in any event, Trump wins again, and I get my fix.. If all this fixin keeps up, I might need to check in to a hospital, right along side my TDS brothers and sisters, maybe I'll find you there, counselling the afflicted with such virtuous intentions. Funny how that works, the antidote to my Trump addiction is your drug of choice. Similar to heroin, and methadone.. Logic works in funny ways, but almost always in reverse, if used correctly. ;)

Tim-

Jet, you're a smart guy, put on your none-biased hat for one sec. Think about this from a purely political position and what he's been able to do to the democrats. Any other President saying the things he says would have cowered under the pressure. Not Trump, he's literally untouchable politically. Political scientists will be pondering this for the decades to come, as to why he is Teflon. I have my ideas, but outside of your silly comment above, try and give me your opinion of just why you think Trump is so unscathed, where anyone else would be crucified. It's more than just "stupid people like him", surely you know this. There's something very different about his presidency.

Tim-

You lot said Obama:
1. Was lying about his place of birth.
2. Was lying about religion.
3. Was racist against white people.
4. Hated America.
5. Wanted to destroy America.
6. Was weak.
7. In fact was trying to destroy America by creating a global warming hoax and using it to transfer our wealth to third world nations.
8. Etc etc bloody-****ing-etc.

Did he "cower"? No.

He laughed at you. In fact, he even roasted the corrupt pig you are worshipping in this and every thread right to his face - unlike Trump, who does it via tweet or at campaign rallies, far away from his targets - and the best bit?

The best bit was that a day or two later news broke that he'd ordered a high risk mission into foreign territory without alerting that nation. That means that as he stood at that podium and roasted your God to his big fat face in public, he had Seal 6 and Pakistan on his mind. Didn't give a single tell.

Meanwhile, your guy flies off the handle at the slightest thought that maybe somebody somewhere doesn't like him.

"Any other President."

:lamo

Thanks. Trump has the thinnest skin ever, and we both know that I know that you know it.

Last edited:

You lot said Obama:
1. Was lying about his place of birth.

No I …

2. Was lying about religion.

Not sure what you mean? If you mean to say that he would continue the dimwits policies to nudge American's further away form their Gods', then sure, he did that.

3. Was racist against white people.

Obama was no more racist than Trump is, however, Trump has done way more for black and brown folks in 2 years than Obama ever did in all 8.

4. Hated America.
5. Wanted to destroy America.

Did, and does..

6. Was weak.

Perhaps the weakest President in my lifetime, no doubt about it.

7. In fact was trying to destroy America by creating a global warming hoax and using it to transfer our wealth to third world nations.
8. Etc etc bloody-****ing-etc.

Yes, yes, and Yes!! Etc...

Did he "cower"? No.

Obama was so decisive that intel knew where bin laden was hiding for months before Obama decided to so "go".. Have you NOT read the books on that raid, and what lead up to it?

He laughed at you. In fact, he even roasted the corrupt pig you are worshipping in this and every thread right to his face - unlike Trump, who does it via tweet or at campaign rallies, far away from his targets - and the best bit?

Oh yeah, dropped his cell phone during a horrible tweets sketch stating that "at least he was the President".. Is that the one.. ;)

The best bit was that a day or two later news broke that he'd ordered a high risk mission into foreign territory without alerting that nation. That means that as he stood at that podium and roasted your God to his big fat face in public, he had Seal 6 and Pakistan on his mind. Didn't give a single tell.

Oh, that was a tough one, eh? What a tough call, must have been as it took him months to actually give the go sign!

Meanwhile, your guy flies off the handle at the slightest thought that maybe somebody somewhere doesn't like him.

Nope, you got him all wrong, Trump is very purposeful, you just can't see it, because you've all come to the pre-confirmed notion that Trump and all that voted for him are just knuckle-dragging morons following him around like lost puppies..

"Any other President."

:lamo

Thanks. Trump has the thinnest skin ever, and we both know that I know that you know it.

You so do not understand him, and I think your side is incapable of understanding him, and are absolutely trending in the same direction that lost you the WH in 2016. Don't feel bad, there are tons of republican elites that don't "get him" either, so you're not completely off the rails..

Tim-

Great idea! Probably no need to waste any money on it though, we have our pusher in chief doing it for us for free... ;) By the way, your USA Today (Laughable) article was short on details, and oh yeah, half way through it jumped me to a MacAfee subscription renewal, yet, I have never used that ****ty antivirus software

Oh darn, Obummer's plan to hook you on crappy antivirus software foiled again.
The only details you need to be aware is that contrary to Eric's belief, a large majority of Americans aren't keen on Trump's tweets, specifically his most recent ones.

Speaking of logic, you're short on it.

The dimwits have been using his hand book for literally 25 years, and quite effectively. One of my biggest criticisms of the GOP and why I've never been inclined to register or support them, is their weak-kneed approach to politics. They've been allowing the dimwits to ever so slowly nudge policy towards the left for 2 decades, and it's been working. Along comes Trump, who, better than ANY republican ever, including Reagan, has no problem throwing it back in their faces. Yet, he doesn't stop there. Historically, the GOP would call a press conference, put forth their perception of the facts, and hope American's agreed with them on policy differences. Not Trump, he actively engages them, and trolls them in such a way that would actually make Alinsky blush. He brilliantly outs them, forces the entire dimwits party to embrace buffoonery, moronism, and anti-American ideology.

Yes, Trump has literally, with one tweet, forced the dimwits to not denounce domestic terrorism, call for no borders, free healthcare to anyone that makes it here illegally, and embrace a green plan that will conservatively cost 93T dollars over 10 years... LOL

I know a lot of people are starting to recognize Trump's brilliant political instincts but I want to go on record that I have been saying this since the primaries, 3 years ago. I saw it, and openly expressed why he was doing what he was doing when no one else caught on. So yeah, I want street cred on this

The beauty of it all, and I mean the exquisite panorama is that Trump has been able to convince the entire republican base that he's a conservative traditional republican, all the while actually being a traditional liberal democrat, on policy, issues, and actions! The only none traditionally democrat thing he's done is put true constitutionalists on the Supreme court, (well sorta) everything else, democrats supported with wide margins even a s little as 12 - 14 years ago.

It's absolute magic!

Tim-
Daps...to ya! It’s “the art of the deal” :lamo

The dimwits have been using his hand book for literally 25 years, and quite effectively....
Yeah, got a news flash for you: The vast majority of progressives don't know anything about Alinsky. It is the right-wing that has gone full-on conspiracy theorist about Alinsky, and constantly screech about him, while everyone else asks "Alinsky who?"

Unsurprisingly, said conservatives and Republicans constantly ignore their own attacks on and Machiavellian manipulations of the American political system (including whipping up fear of brown people women, LGBT etc), while screaming "Alinsky!!!" as though anyone outside of their echo chamber cares. Quelle surprise.

One of my biggest criticisms of the GOP and why I've never been inclined to register or support them, is their weak-kneed approach to politics. They've been allowing the dimwits to ever so slowly nudge policy towards the left for 2 decades....
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but that's not because of tactics. It's because the left is simply offering more popular policies and social changes, and because minority populations are both on the rise, and increasingly targeted by the right.

The reality is that the vast majority of Americans do not want to slash federal spending, or cut taxes for the rich, or pay more for socks at Walmart. Most Americans don't hate Social Security and Medicare and public education and so on. Most want increases in minimum wages, paid maternity leave, government-funded child care, free state/community college tuition, even higher taxes on the wealthy. E.g.:

PP_2019.04.11_federal-spending_0-01-1.png

Yes, Trump has literally, with one tweet, forced the dimwits to not denounce domestic terrorism, call for no borders, free healthcare to anyone that makes it here illegally, and embrace a green plan that will conservatively cost 93T dollars over 10 years...
Cool story bro :roll:

Back in the real world, Trump is good at manufacturing outrage, but that's about it. He can barely get any legislation passed; most of his executive orders get rejected by the courts; he can't even keep his cabinet together, as they are constantly tripped up by their own corruption and incompetence. As a result, his political "brilliance" resulted in massive wins for Democrats in 2018; the only reason they don't control the Senate is because the map so heavily favored Republicans that year.

I.e. the "power of the Twit" is long on showmanship, but short on substance.

The beauty of it all, and I mean the exquisite panorama is that Trump has been able to convince the entire republican base that he's a conservative traditional republican, all the while actually being a traditional liberal democrat, on policy, issues, and actions!
Yeah, no.

He cut taxes for the rich and corporations; he has pushed against abortion; he's an isolationist; he's a nativist and a xenophobe; he's a racist; he favors heavy defense spending; he is slashing environmental protections; he's cutting regulations... There is very little he's actually tried to do that fits the "traditional liberal democrat" paradigm.

The biggest policy difference he has from the rest of the Republican party is his attacks on free trade. He has also utterly decimated the already-false claims that the right-wing cares about the character of their elected officials.

Yeah, got a news flash for you: The vast majority of progressives don't know anything about Alinsky. It is the right-wing that has gone full-on conspiracy theorist about Alinsky, and constantly screech about him, while everyone else asks "Alinsky who?"

Unsurprisingly, said conservatives and Republicans constantly ignore their own attacks on and Machiavellian manipulations of the American political system (including whipping up fear of brown people women, LGBT etc), while screaming "Alinsky!!!" as though anyone outside of their echo chamber cares. Quelle surprise.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but that's not because of tactics. It's because the left is simply offering more popular policies and social changes, and because minority populations are both on the rise, and increasingly targeted by the right.

The reality is that the vast majority of Americans do not want to slash federal spending, or cut taxes for the rich, or pay more for socks at Walmart. Most Americans don't hate Social Security and Medicare and public education and so on. Most want increases in minimum wages, paid maternity leave, government-funded child care, free state/community college tuition, even higher taxes on the wealthy. E.g.:

PP_2019.04.11_federal-spending_0-01-1.png

Cool story bro :roll:

Back in the real world, Trump is good at manufacturing outrage, but that's about it. He can barely get any legislation passed; most of his executive orders get rejected by the courts; he can't even keep his cabinet together, as they are constantly tripped up by their own corruption and incompetence. As a result, his political "brilliance" resulted in massive wins for Democrats in 2018; the only reason they don't control the Senate is because the map so heavily favored Republicans that year.

I.e. the "power of the Twit" is long on showmanship, but short on substance.

I would dump the education bureaucracy. Keep 25% to keep the states in line.

Yeah, no.

He cut taxes for the rich and corporations; he has pushed against abortion; he's an isolationist; he's a nativist and a xenophobe; he's a racist; he favors heavy defense spending; he is slashing environmental protections; he's cutting regulations... There is very little he's actually tried to do that fits the "traditional liberal democrat" paradigm.

The biggest policy difference he has from the rest of the Republican party is his attacks on free trade. He has also utterly decimated the already-false claims that the right-wing cares about the character of their elected officials.

Maybe you need a primer on how government works. Change originates in the House (or senate), who then sends a bill to the other chamber for changes that may be necessary to get the Presidents vote. But the House is so dysfunctional, nothing gets done.

All president can do is pound the drum and write EO’s.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom