• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

I watched the Security Council so you don't have to

Craig234

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
In a terribly irony, Russia was the president of the council and chaired the emergency meeting called about Ukraine following Putin's speech and Russia's incursion to eastern Ukraine. He presided for each member to give a speech, most of which attacked Russia.

There were two types of speeches. Most condemned Russia; the party line for Russia's allies, like China, seemed to be to say nothing specifically about Russia, but to talk about 'both sides' needing to support diplomacy.

Ukraine's ambassador was specially invited to the meeting, and after the other countries had spoken, Russia gave its propaganda speech, and then invited Ukraine to speak.

Ukraine made the dramatic announcement that while all the members were encouraging Russia not to invade further, 48 minutes earlier, during the meeting, Putin had declared war and the explosions had started. He asked the Russian ambassador to relinquish the role leading the council and to hand it to a country who followed the laws.

After he spoke, most of Ukraine's allies gave followup speeches, acknowledging how their remarks of minutes before calling for diplomacy and avoiding war were now obsolete, and condemning Russia's actions. Russia's allies like China did not give followup remarks in light of the invasion.

The UN Secretary-General himself spoke at the meeting, following both phases. In his first speech, he said he'd been wrong before when he thought war could be avoided, and asked Putin not to invade. In his followup remarks, like others, he acknowledged that was obsolete and asked Putin to withdraw.

The Russian Ambassador was the picture of a Russian propagandist, looking uninterested in others' comments, and parroting the party line, painting Russia as the victim, claiming the other countries didn't want to listen to his version.

I thought the ambassador who gave the best remarks was Albania's. Both his first and second remarks were good; I only have a video of his first remarks which are under four minutes. It was heartening to see nearly all the members speak out against Russia and side with Ukraine.

I found a video of the entire meeting (about 90 minutes). If you'd like to see the Albanian ambassador's followup remarks they're at 1:22:00. The Ukranian ambassador followup remarks are the last ones.

Like a poor pantomime .

Entirely predictable but grotesque when unelected people grovel and whine .

Descended to the level you find here -- rock bottom .

All this proves is that the UN is totally useless.

All this proves is that the UN is totally useless.

I've had the same opinion of the UN for years now.

I think this thread is gonna pull out the Russian supporters and diverters and excuse makers that post here.

Watch closely because it will be sickening.

In a terribly irony, Russia was the president of the council and chaired the emergency meeting called about Ukraine following Putin's speech and Russia's incursion to eastern Ukraine. He presided for each member to give a speech, most of which attacked Russia.

There were two types of speeches. Most condemned Russia; the party line for Russia's allies, like China, seemed to be to say nothing specifically about Russia, but to talk about 'both sides' needing to support diplomacy.

Ukraine's ambassador was specially invited to the meeting, and after the other countries had spoken, Russia gave its propaganda speech, and then invited Ukraine to speak.

Ukraine made the dramatic announcement that while all the members were encouraging Russia not to invade further, 48 minutes earlier, during the meeting, Putin had declared war and the explosions had started. He asked the Russian ambassador to relinquish the role leading the council and to hand it to a country who followed the laws.

After he spoke, most of Ukraine's allies gave followup speeches, acknowledging how their remarks of minutes before calling for diplomacy and avoiding war were now obsolete, and condemning Russia's actions. Russia's allies like China did not give followup remarks in light of the invasion.

The UN Secretary-General himself spoke at the meeting, following both phases. In his first speech, he said he'd been wrong before when he thought war could be avoided, and asked Putin not to invade. In his followup remarks, like others, he acknowledged that was obsolete and asked Putin to withdraw.

The Russian Ambassador was the picture of a Russian propagandist, looking uninterested in others' comments, and parroting the party line, painting Russia as the victim, claiming the other countries didn't want to listen to his version.

I thought the ambassador who gave the best remarks was Albania's. Both his first and second remarks were good; I only have a video of his first remarks which are under four minutes. It was heartening to see nearly all the members speak out against Russia and side with Ukraine.

shrug...

While these guys are jaw-jacking, Russia is killing people.

With this kind of immediate and decisive (LOL!!) action, I'm SUURRE Putin will be withdrawing his troops as we speak. /s

Remember my description of those who condemned Russia and those allied with Russia who gave 'both sides' statements that didn't condemn Russia.

Today we saw the same breakdown, as 11 members voted for the measure condemning Russia, and China, India and the United Arab Emirates voted to abstain, while Russia of course vetoed the condemnation.

Back
Top Bottom