• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

I was lied to in school.

I was also lied to in school.

• Yes, I was!

Votes: 17 73.9%
  • No! I wasn't!

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • I like 'Other'!

Votes: 4 17.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MKULTRABOY

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Have you ever found that you were taught things in school that turned out not to be true when you received sources to the contrary later in education or life? I'm not talking life lessons about sappy ideas like 'freest' or 'equaliest'.

For example: I remember seeing videos and being lectured that immigrants came to the US, because the police were fair and non-exploitative.

I'm reading now that in the August 1900 riot in NY after a police officer was killed by an African American even the police officers joined in in terrorising common black folk, tearing them off of trolleys and beating them in the streets. Same issues of police joining in on mass brutality against Jews.

The modern justice system we occasionally hate, I find I like more at the moment.

We're you lied to in school?

You were obviously lied to in English class too, "were" doesn't have an apostrophe. :2razz:

But when I was at school, in high school anyway, the textbook seemed to relish the less salubrious aspects.

Not so much lied to, but definitely not told all sides of every story. I'm obviously thinking specifically about history class here. I don't think I was lied to even by omission in any other class. Of course if I was a creationist or flat-earther I may feel differently. :lol:

Have you ever found that you were taught things in school that turned out not to be true when you received sources to the contrary later in education or life? I'm not talking life lessons about sappy ideas like 'freest' or 'equaliest'.

For example: I remember seeing videos and being lectured that immigrants came to the US, because the police were fair and non-exploitative.

I'm reading now that in the August 1900 riot in NY after a police officer was killed by an African American even the police officers joined in in terrorising common black folk, tearing them off of trolleys and beating them in the streets. Same issues of police joining in on mass brutality against Jews.

The modern justice system we occasionally hate, I find I like more at the moment.

If you are old enough to be in college and are just discovering this fact of life, you must have been very sheltered. :shock:

Hrrm this is from deep in childhood. Theres probably alot more I dont remember. This came back to me while reading this morning.

You were obviously lied to in English class too, "were" doesn't have an apostrophe.

But when I was at school, in high school anyway, the textbook seemed to relish the less salubrious aspects.

It was sleepy time at +5gmt here. :lol:

the big lie is that one completes their education in school

not so much lied to as much as the info changed. I remember being taught "facts" in HS chemistry class. many years later when I returned to school for my grad degree I discovered that some of those "facts" were no longer true. improved technology had allowed a better, more accurate explaination.

although they did lie to me in govt class... all men are NOT "created" equal.

not so much lied to as much as the info changed. I remember being taught "facts" in HS chemistry class. many years later when I returned to school for my grad degree I discovered that some of those "facts" were no longer true. improved technology had allowed a better, more accurate explaination.

although they did lie to me in govt class... all men are NOT "created" equal.

It's been established that nothing about science is actually dogmatic. Things change and are improved as new experiments and technology appears. It's probably the one thing I learned in science class and still remember. Just look at quantum physics. Einstein hated it and thought it was nothing more than bs. Fast forward to the 21st century and it's a fact of life.

For myself: It wasn't exactly intentional, so I do not consider it a lie. Furthermore, other things discussed in school are merely more complicated and because of that, oversimplification happened.

Last edited:
Some of the stuff I've studied in high school in Physics, Biology, etc. turned out to be inaccurate when I've studied the actual subjects in Uni.

What makes you so sure that if there's a contradiction between what you were taught then and what you're reading now, the previous material must be the inaccurate stuff? Seems a bit of a conclusion to jump to.

No I'm talking semi-indoctrination videos about foreign would be immigrants telling stories of American streets paved with gold, etc.

I know what you're talking about, and even now, using terminology like "semi-indoctrination videos," it's obvious that you've found something you'd rather believe and consider what you saw before to be the "lie." These are the terms you chose.

But that doesn't follow. Just because you're reading something different now, and it fits better with what you'd rather think, it doesn't make what you saw before a "lie." And that particular time period being what it was, the two things you're referencing might not even be contradictory.

I dont know that Ive ever read history books touting sunshine, lollipops, and butterflies as the general life condition in America and the primary motivating factor for people leaving their home country. People typically came to America because the country they left was generally a sinkhole with little to no opportunities and America, even with its failings and shortfalls, offered them an opportunity to succeed that they couldnt have if they stayed home. Today is no different. We have people risking their life to come to America for the opportunity to work as a laborer. Not because being a laborer is all they can ever strive to be, but because their own home country blows. We have 20-30 million illegal mexicans PROUD to be FROM mexico. Says an awful lot about that ****-stained toilet south of the border. I dont think history or science is necessarily being portrayed as lies...just from evolving perspectives.

We're you lied to in school?Without question, some things I was taught were true in the 1800s, others, never..The teachers did the best they could with what they knew at the time..
"Lied to" is too strong a term and not appropriate.
News flash "America is not perfect"...Hell, we are not even close....
Its debatable at what age our school children should learn this.
The truth , the whole truth, and nothing but the truth....sounds great, and I believe in it, to an extent.
Some "Pablum" must be used as well as the truth, we are dealing with teens here, not adults.
What we must do is communicate, be respectful, but work to improve, and we have..
Perfection will not be achieved, as long as man is running the show....

I dont know that Ive ever read history books touting sunshine, lollipops, and butterflies as the general life condition in America and the primary motivating factor for people leaving their home country. People typically came to America because the country they left was generally a sinkhole with little to no opportunities and America, even with its failings and shortfalls, offered them an opportunity to succeed that they couldnt have if they stayed home. Today is no different. We have people risking their life to come to America for the opportunity to work as a laborer. Not because being a laborer is all they can ever strive to be, but because their own home country blows. We have 20-30 million illegal mexicans PROUD to be FROM mexico. Says an awful lot about that ****-stained toilet south of the border. I dont think history or science is necessarily being portrayed as lies...just from evolving perspectives.

The only thing really like that is children's books...or just pamphlets advertising North Dakota and its "wonderful climate" to Germans from Russia :D

I was lied to in school.

Welcome to the world, everybody was lied to in school.

If you're in college, guess what? You're still being lied to.

The only thing really like that is children's books...or just pamphlets advertising North Dakota and its "wonderful climate" to Germans from Russia :D

Well...Greenland was certainly a carefully crafted ploy as well...but...yeah...

And if we are being TOTALLY honest...its not like America of the 1900's (or America in general) is the only country that has ever experienced racial strife and bigotry.

In most ways, as such, you're being lied to worse, because individual professors have much, much more control over the curricula and materials. The worst -- WORST -- is when the prof assigns his own book. That's a pretty good sign you should be on the lookout for a dumptruck load.

whaaaaaaat? you mean those intellectuals that teach business and economics that have never RUN a business and have no practical experience in the field of economics might be presenting false information???

I was taught that Columbus discovered America, but there were already people here when he got here.

I don't have a problem with our modern justice system so much as I have a problem with the laws they've got to work with, and the fact that we reward arrest and conviction rates -- no matter how those rates are obtained.

Hell yeah.

I vaguely remember that the value of the dollar has something to do with the size of our gold reserves, and that inflation is what you get by printing more money without increasing the size of the reserves. :lol:

The Republicans clearly represent conservative, small-government values, whereas the Democrats clearly represent liberal, big-government values.

Republicans are all about individual freedom and Democrats are all about the government telling you what to do.

The United States never lost a war. Vietnam doesn't count because it was technically a "conflict." :lol:

Columbus discovered America.

The civil war was all about slavery. Lincoln didn't actually take up the cause of emancipation until after he realized he wasn't making enough political hay to go after the south without it.

Defending yourself is morally wrong.

If you grew up in the country, you're too dumb to use computers.

I'm sure there was more, but I can't remember it at the moment -- then there's all kinds of stuff about the United States that were flatly omitted from any study of the nation -- lies of omission.

My favorite one of THOSE was IBM's central role in the Holocaust.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom