• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

"I Want your Money, Obamanomics" Coming Soon to a Theater near you

250K is considerably richer than 75K, or 50K or 30K. And no, it isn't about us versus them. That's divisive thinking that inqaccurately frames the debate. It is about who can. Think in terms of physical strength. We would never ask a 70lb person to lift as much as 250lb person. Instad, we seek the person most capable, most able to the job. And when we have to, we use more. But if Hercules can lift it, he's the best person for the job.

It is about how to best solve the problem and not about us versus them.

First, I can tell you that in the Northeast, if you have a family with both husband and wife as mid managers $250K is not unisual and they are considered rich. Comfortable yes, rich certainly not.

As to who can. The country has a problem as you expressed. If we did away with all the tax cuts people at the lower end would still pay nothing, the middle would pay some and the rich, as Obama pointed out would pay a lot. I am fine with a progressive tax. I don't like the rhetoric of us versus them that the administration is pushing. I also think it is important for nearly everyone to help out. This way there is a shared sense of purpose.

One of the reasons the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq have gone on for so long is that most Americans don't have to pay a price for it. Most middle class and above kids will never see the middle east.

First, I can tell you that in the Northeast, if you have a family with both husband and wife as mid managers $250K is not unisual and they are considered rich. Comfortable yes, rich certainly not.

As to who can. The country has a problem as you expressed. If we did away with all the tax cuts people at the lower end would still pay nothing, the middle would pay some and the rich, as Obama pointed out would pay a lot. I am fine with a progressive tax. I don't like the rhetoric of us versus them that the administration is pushing. I also think it is important for nearly everyone to help out. This way there is a shared sense of purpose.

One of the reasons the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq have gone on for so long is that most Americans don't have to pay a price for it. Most middle class and above kids will never see the middle east.

I certainly agree with you concerning the war. And it has been sold that way as well, no cost.

As for wealthy, I'm sure there is some room for debate over that line is. And there is some truth that both sides use this issue for votes. They shouldn't, but there's no denying that it works. This is also the reason we have so little serious discussion on how to tackle problems like the debt. Both sides know what will cost votes and what they can use to their advantge, . . . sadly.

Still, we do agree on a progressive tax and only seemed divided on the shared burden. Do you think any politiican can sell a tax on the middle class?

I certainly agree with you concerning the war. And it has been sold that way as well, no cost.

As for wealthy, I'm sure there is some room for debate over that line is. And there is some truth that both sides use this issue for votes. They shouldn't, but there's no denying that it works. This is also the reason we have so little serious discussion on how to tackle problems like the debt. Both sides know what will cost votes and what they can use to their advantge, . . . sadly.

Still, we do agree on a progressive tax and only seemed divided on the shared burden. Do you think any politiican can sell a tax on the middle class?

The answer to the last para is yes I agree in a progressive tax. I would like a compromise. That would be a two year extension of where we are now. Then we can see where we are in the economy and how the congress and the deficit commission have done on really tackling the spending side.

So if we could talk about a balance of spending cuts along with some other rate increases. Also remember that they have to tackle inheritance taxes, capital gain and dividends.

T

Back
Top Bottom