• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

I want all the perks of maternity leave — without having any kids

lpast

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Interesting :)

Meghann Foye, 38, was jealous of co-workers clocking out for maternity leave, and decided she needed a break of her own. Here, the author of the novel “Meternity” (Mira, out now), tells The Post’s ANNA DAVIES why she believes every woman deserves mandated “me time.”

I was 31 years old in 2009, and I loved my career. As an editor at a popular magazine, I got to work on big stories, attend cool events, and meet famous celebs all the time.
And yet, after 10 years of working in a job where I was always on deadline, I couldn’t help but feel envious when parents on staff left the office at 6 p.m. to tend to their children, while it was assumed co-workers without kids would stay behind to pick up the slack.
“You know, I need a maternity leave!” I told one of my pregnant friends. She laughed, and we spent the afternoon plotting my escape from my 10-hour days, fake baby bump and all.
Of course, that didn’t happen. But the more I thought about it, the more I came to believe in the value of a “meternity” leave — which is, to me, a sabbatical-like break that allows women and, to a lesser degree, men to shift their focus to the part of their lives that doesn’t revolve around their jobs.

I want all the perks of maternity leave — without having any kids | New York Post

"As an editor at a popular magazine, I got to work on big stories, attend cool events, and meet famous celebs all the time." She sounds disingenuous and ungrateful. She wants all the fun and glory without paying the price.

Meghann Foye, 38, was jealous of co-workers clocking out for maternity leave, and decided she needed a break of her own. Here, the author of the novel “Meternity” (Mira, out now), tells The Post’s ANNA DAVIES why she believes every woman deserves mandated “me time.”

I was 31 years old in 2009, and I loved my career. As an editor at a popular magazine, I got to work on big stories, attend cool events, and meet famous celebs all the time.
And yet, after 10 years of working in a job where I was always on deadline, I couldn’t help but feel envious when parents on staff left the office at 6 p.m. to tend to their children, while it was assumed co-workers without kids would stay behind to pick up the slack.
“You know, I need a maternity leave!” I told one of my pregnant friends. She laughed, and we spent the afternoon plotting my escape from my 10-hour days, fake baby bump and all.
Of course, that didn’t happen. But the more I thought about it, the more I came to believe in the value of a “meternity” leave — which is, to me, a sabbatical-like break that allows women and, to a lesser degree, men to shift their focus to the part of their lives that doesn’t revolve around their jobs.

I want all the perks of maternity leave — without having any kids | New York Post

First world problems. My problems are more important than anyone else's. My time is more important than anyone else's.

If you don't like 10 hour days, find a new line of work. Otherwise, put in for a vacation like the rest of us. And why exactly would a woman deserve "me" time to a greater degree than men?

It is strange how peoples perspective changes their point of view.
This woman seems to think Women on mat leave or on vacation.
The reality is that it is a lot of work for both parents working with kids.
That hollow eye not enough sleep look, does not come from late nights partying,
and are likely putting in a lot more than 10 hours a day.

Another attack on pregnancy. Woohoo.
Sounds like she has no idea what pregnancy is about (even less than some of us guys) and just wants more time off.
Gimme reaction.

And we wonder why there's an income disparity between men and women. :afraid:

It was just a matter of time before someone who didn't qualify wanted "equal treatment".

So she's upset because people with kids leave at 6 and that their lives don't revolve solely around work?

She also has access to Family Medical Leave, it's what we use as maternity leave when necessary. But without being pregnant, it's hard to get maternity leave.

Listen, I would have loved access to all the scholarships for minority students when in college. But I'm white, so I didn't qualify. We always want something we don't or can't have, but that doesn't mean there is something innately unfair.

First world problems. My problems are more important than anyone else's. My time is more important than anyone else's.

If you don't like 10 hour days, find a new line of work. Otherwise, put in for a vacation like the rest of us. And why exactly would a woman deserve "me" time to a greater degree than men?

I guess she'd say for this reason;

While both men and women would benefit from a “meternity” leave after a decade or so in the workforce, the concept is one that would be especially advantageous for women. Burnout syndrome is well-documented in both sexes, but recent research suggests that women may experience it at greater rates; researchers postulate that it’s because women (moms and non-moms alike) feel overloaded by the roles they have to take on at work and at home.

IMO, she's a giant liability to those who say that men and women are exactly equal in the workplace. To be fair though, she's only one person and doesn't speak for all women and I do have women coworkers, that, as far as I know, haven't ever decided they deserve 3 months downtime because they've had a job for 10 years.

To me its more about an attitude today of " I WANT WHAT I WANT WHEN I WANT IT" and if you dont give it to me im going to make hellish noise and just disrupt your world.

But she is just one person and doesnt reflect everyone else

The part I highlight in red is a legitimate complaint, IMO, but is not really related to the overall point of wanting "meternity" leave.

I have always been grateful for having a job, and understand that Moms want to be with their newborn, and families want to be home for Christmas morning and such. So I am making myself available to pitch in.
But all that depends on the type of job. If this woman needs personal time for no important reason, she must also realize that many others would love to have her job. If the magazine can do without her for extended period of time, may be she isn't as good and important as she thinks she is.

The part I highlight in red is a legitimate complaint, IMO, but is not really related to the overall point of wanting "meternity" leave.

Doesn't it depend on personal ambition? If she wants to advance in her current position, and sets her priorities as such, then she will have to make an extra effort. If she doesn't meet the deadline, someone else perhaps can.
Parents may have different priorities, the family being #1.

Doesn't it depend on personal ambition? If she wants to advance in her current position, and sets her priorities as such, then she will have to make an extra effort. If she doesn't meet the deadline, someone else perhaps can.
Parents may have different priorities, the family being #1.
Yes and no.

There are those willing to put in the extra time, absolutely. That's fine. There are also companies that expect it, and you lose stature if you don't comply. The fact that she brought it up as a complaint point suggests she was in the latter group, either the company pressured and/or she felt the need to "keep up" even though she didn't want to.

Yes and no.

There are those willing to put in the extra time, absolutely. That's fine. There are also companies that expect it, and you lose stature if you don't comply. The fact that she brought it up as a complaint point suggests she was in the latter group, either the company pressured and/or she felt the need to "keep up" even though she didn't want to.

It is a magazine, they have a deadline. Journalists, they are called to go in the field at a moment's notice. If they can't find a sitter, someone else will fill in, again and again until they are noted to be more dependable.
You work in a factory, you drop the hammer when the whistle blows.

And we wonder why there's an income disparity between men and women. :afraid:

actually that is the one of the main reasons in pay difference.
the others involve hours worked, fields of study etc...

when you actually look at the job per job the difference is like 8 cents or something like that.

It is a magazine, they have a deadline. Journalists, they are called to go in the field at a moment's notice. If they can't find a sitter, someone else will fill in, again and again until they are noted to be more dependable.
You work in a factory, you drop the hammer when the whistle blows.
Sounds like she wants a factory job in journalism.

Is she being realistic?

Kind of like the envy i ve had for smokersat work. All those nonstop on the clock breaks that the rest of us don't get. Especially if the boss smoked too... If you weren't also a smoker with the boss, you were on the outside looking in come promotion and raise time. Gotta be a part of the smokers click to get anywhere if the boss smokes.

Kind of like the envy i ve had for smokersat work. All those nonstop on the clock breaks that the rest of us don't get. Especially if the boss smoked too... If you weren't also a smoker with the boss, you were on the outside looking in come promotion and raise time. Gotta be a part of the smokers click to get anywhere if the boss smokes.
I have never experienced this in the private business world. Everybody gets breaks. Though I'm sure it does happen some places.

The one place I did experience it was Army basic training. Smokers got breaks, non-smokers did not. I am not a smoker, but I bought a pack of cigarettes and when it was break time I would light up, let it burn down on it's own, and take a break.

Yes I agree, its kind of callous and flippant to just walk out and say Screw you do your work and mine.
But thats not the women that are entitled by law to maternity leave. Its the "EMPLOYERS" faults its their responsibility to abide by the law and take up the slack of hiring more positions or doing it themselves

How is that a legitimate complaint? If someone starts at 8 or 9 AM and leaves at 6? If you put your time in, you should be allowed to go home at the end of the day.

Another attack on pregnancy. Woohoo.
Sounds like she has no idea what pregnancy is about (even less than some of us guys) and just wants more time off.
Gimme reaction.

I don't see it as an attack on pregnancy.

People used to work a lifetime to put their kids through school and make a better life for them.

Now this woman, after 10 years of working, which in the scheme of things is not very long, wants a break.

The mindset has changed drastically, and not for the better.

Back
Top Bottom