• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

I want all the perks of maternity leave — without having any kids

If men could have children, we wouldn't lol

Not an experience I wish to go thru, but admire the opposite sex for doing it. I just don't know why they would want to go thru it more than once lol

Is it so hard to believe that a woman might want more than one child?

Is it so hard to believe that a woman might want more than one child?

It was said in humor, therefore the LoL after the statement

Lighten up, don't get your panties in a bunch

Interesting :)

Meghann Foye, 38, was jealous of co-workers clocking out for maternity leave, and decided she needed a break of her own. Here, the author of the novel “Meternity” (Mira, out now), tells The Post’s ANNA DAVIES why she believes every woman deserves mandated “me time.”

I was 31 years old in 2009, and I loved my career. As an editor at a popular magazine, I got to work on big stories, attend cool events, and meet famous celebs all the time.
And yet, after 10 years of working in a job where I was always on deadline, I couldn’t help but feel envious when parents on staff left the office at 6 p.m. to tend to their children, while it was assumed co-workers without kids would stay behind to pick up the slack.
“You know, I need a maternity leave!” I told one of my pregnant friends. She laughed, and we spent the afternoon plotting my escape from my 10-hour days, fake baby bump and all.
Of course, that didn’t happen. But the more I thought about it, the more I came to believe in the value of a “meternity” leave — which is, to me, a sabbatical-like break that allows women and, to a lesser degree, men to shift their focus to the part of their lives that doesn’t revolve around their jobs.

I want all the perks of maternity leave — without having any kids | New York Post

So what you are saying is that she should have all the maternity benefits if she self-identifies as being pregnant?
(Never mind the reality).
:lamo

Oh what the leftists have started with this 'self-identifies' BS.

If she wants / needs to take an extended sabbatical, that'd be an agreement between her and her employer. No one else need be involved in that.

So what you are saying is that she should have all the maternity benefits if she self-identifies as being pregnant?
(Never mind the reality).
:lamo

Oh what the leftists have started with this 'self-identifies' BS.

If she wants / needs to take an extended sabbatical, that'd be an agreement between her and her employer. No one else need be involved in that.

I didnt say anything I just posted the article

I didnt say anything I just posted the article

Agreed!!

How did this become political, jeesh

Do they get extra points for every time they same leftist, libtard, or my all time super hyperbole Communist!!

Everywhere I was stationed everyone had to pick up butts... smokers and non-smokers.

My last year I quietly rebelled and didn't pick any up. A friend asked my why so I told him. He said I'd get reamed for it, so I told him if I ever got called on it I'd pick them up until the storm rolled over, but I wasn't going to announce it and draw attention to myself.

Even though I have never been a smoker I have always been something of a defender of smokers, but that's the one thing they do that pisses me off and sometimes makes me want to stop defending them... when they treat the world as their personal ash tray and throw their butts on the ground.

I'm glad the trend of smoking isn't like it was. I just recall as a kid when we'd get to the grocery store, people just opening their car doors and dumping their entire ash tray on the ground in the parking lot before they left. It seemed like everyone was doing it. It was so gross.

If you don't like 10 hour days, find a new line of work.
She did, in fact, quit her job and take time off.

She is not literally talking about giving everyone 6 months of paid vacation. She is advocating for people to take a chunk of time out, to reflect on their life and career.

Otherwise, put in for a vacation like the rest of us.
Some things you can't figure out in 1 week, while rushing around a tourist destination.

And why exactly would a woman deserve "me" time to a greater degree than men?
She addresses that in the article.

Which, I'm guessing, you didn't read.

Another attack on pregnancy. Woohoo.
Sounds like she has no idea what pregnancy is about (even less than some of us guys) and just wants more time off.
Gimme reaction.
Absolutely nothing in the article "attacks pregnancy."

And yes, the point is that she needed time off to realize that we can benefit from not tying ourselves to this MUST WORK ALL THE TIME mentality. Which, by the way, is not in fact very productive.

This is great! Never thought of it.
I'm unable to conceive and have babies....BUT.....I FEEL like I should be able to !!!!!
SO, in the spirit of modern liberalism, I want JUSTICE !!
I demand my maternity leave because I FEEL like I should be able to have a baby.
So, basically, you didn't read the article at all, you just reacted to a headline. Impressive.

She sounds like an entitled, spoiled brat. If she needs some "me time" she should quit her job.
She DID quit her job, and take time out to deal with family issues and sort out her attitude to her career.

Am I the only one here who read the article?

She DID quit her job, and take time out to deal with family issues and sort out her attitude to her career.

Am I the only one here who read the article?

What's an article?

I think she makes a good point. Maybe not in the best words but there is a good point there.

Full disclaimer, I have kids and share the parenting duties.. and probably though my wife will never admit it.. spend more time parenting than my spouse.

However, there is a good point here.

Why should an employee get special treatment simply because SHE has a child? (Men don't generally get paternity leave).

But why should any employee get special treatment because they have children? Children are a choice. they are a lot of work.. but they are a choice for the vast vast majority of people.

Paid leave should be just that.. paid leave. For use of whatever. Whether that's for taking a vacation or having a child.

Unpaid leave? Well that can be for medical reasons or taking care of an adult parent or child etc.

I'm glad the trend of smoking isn't like it was. I just recall as a kid when we'd get to the grocery store, people just opening their car doors and dumping their entire ash tray on the ground in the parking lot before they left. It seemed like everyone was doing it. It was so gross.
When I was a kid I'd see people dump their ash trays often. Even then I thought, "That's just not right." I don't see it much anymore, maybe once or twice a year. Coincidentally, just last week, but it had been awhile.

I think she makes a good point. Maybe not in the best words but there is a good point there.

Full disclaimer, I have kids and share the parenting duties.. and probably though my wife will never admit it.. spend more time parenting than my spouse.

Why should an employee get special treatment simply because SHE has a child? (Men don't generally get paternity leave).

But why should any employee get special treatment because they have children? Children are a choice. they are a lot of work.. but they are a choice for the vast vast majority of people.

Paid leave should be just that.. paid leave. For use of whatever. Whether that's for taking a vacation or having a child.

Unpaid leave? Well that can be for medical reasons or taking care of an adult parent or child etc.

They shouldn't and I doubt that is what is happening in that company.

So you would support a "solution" and I use the term very loosely because there IS NO problem to begin with of removing maternity leave and replacing it with just leave.
So then employers will be forced to give what a smaller portion of their workforce has to everyone and not just the occasional pregnancy...
Not gonna happen. The only thing this "solution" guarentees is that a pregnant woman will have to burn through sick time because a bunch of selfish assholes decided they were jealous of what she might be getting that they weren't.

Do people even think before they bark anymore?
When did we get to the point of "I need every perk everyone else has"?
Personally, I'm Ok with extending maternity leave to everyone equally, with a caveat. You have to go through a surgery that gives you an ever increasing in weight ball implanted in your belly area, up to 9 lbs. You are also given meds that make you sicker then hell on a constant basis.
Enjoy your time.
They already have time for other things called vacation and sick. Get over it.

I'm fine with government mandated unpaid maternity leave. I have a major issue with government mandated paid maternity leave.

So by "perks" of maternity leave she actually wants to be kept up all night, breastfeed until her boobs are about to implode then explode when not feeding, listen to a crying baby all damn day, keep the house clean, cook a reasonable dinner, and still try to not look like something the swamp puked up? Ok lady, go for it!

When I was a kid I'd see people dump their ash trays often. Even then I thought, "That's just not right." I don't see it much anymore, maybe once or twice a year. Coincidentally, just last week, but it had been awhile.

I haven't seen an ashtray dump in a year or two thank God. Damn near vomit inducing to see.

Back
Top Bottom