• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

I want all the perks of maternity leave — without having any kids

It is a magazine, they have a deadline. Journalists, they are called to go in the field at a moment's notice. If they can't find a sitter, someone else will fill in, again and again until they are noted to be more dependable.
You work in a factory, you drop the hammer when the whistle blows.

In a situation like that I don't believe the magazine has a policy that parents can skip work while others fill in.

People have to do their job parents or not.

Kind of like the envy i ve had for smokersat work. All those nonstop on the clock breaks that the rest of us don't get. Especially if the boss smoked too... If you weren't also a smoker with the boss, you were on the outside looking in come promotion and raise time. Gotta be a part of the smokers click to get anywhere if the boss smokes.

I never looked at it that way to be honest but it makes sense

This is great! Never thought of it.
I'm unable to conceive and have babies....BUT.....I FEEL like I should be able to !!!!!
SO, in the spirit of modern liberalism, I want JUSTICE !!
I demand my maternity leave because I FEEL like I should be able to have a baby.

:lamo

Interesting situation and we will see how things work years from now. A lot of special interest groups fight for and get special benefits and justify them in their own minds. And then society changes and those special benefits just seem like privilege. Groups have convinced ourselves that having children is important to society so that society must give special benefits to encourage it.
But we seem to be moving to a society in which people understand that everyone makes choices and society should not support some choices while not supporting others. I think that we are at the point where we don't need more children and we get enough immigrants to fill manpower needs. There is no reason to give special benefits to marriage and children. Let's have an individualized meritocracy where adults are expected to take care of their own needs and make their own achievements, without spousal benefits or inheritance. Equality for all.

I have never experienced this in the private business world. Everybody gets breaks. Though I'm sure it does happen some places.

The one place I did experience it was Army basic training. Smokers got breaks, non-smokers did not. I am not a smoker, but I bought a pack of cigarettes and when it was break time I would light up, let it burn down on it's own, and take a break.

I experienced it in both the military and the private sector. Infuriating in both cases. Damn sure hated having to pick up butts as a unit because smokers were such selfish, inconsiderate slobs that we all had to constantly clean up after.

I experienced it in both the military and the private sector. Infuriating in both cases. Damn sure hated having to pick up butts as a unit because smokers were such selfish, inconsiderate slobs that we all had to constantly clean up after.

you're CO or first shirt was a bastard of the first order if they made non-smokers police up butts..... that **** didn't fly in my world, and I was a smoker.
throwing butts on the deck was one of my big pet peeves.... hell, I've even forced Marines to quit smoking because I witnesses them toss their butts on the deck.

as to the OP, the whiny chick needs to understand that there is already "meternity" leave... it's called a vacation.... she needs to take one and quit whining.

Interesting :)

Meghann Foye, 38, was jealous of co-workers clocking out for maternity leave, and decided she needed a break of her own. Here, the author of the novel “Meternity” (Mira, out now), tells The Post’s ANNA DAVIES why she believes every woman deserves mandated “me time.”

I was 31 years old in 2009, and I loved my career. As an editor at a popular magazine, I got to work on big stories, attend cool events, and meet famous celebs all the time.
And yet, after 10 years of working in a job where I was always on deadline, I couldn’t help but feel envious when parents on staff left the office at 6 p.m. to tend to their children, while it was assumed co-workers without kids would stay behind to pick up the slack.
“You know, I need a maternity leave!” I told one of my pregnant friends. She laughed, and we spent the afternoon plotting my escape from my 10-hour days, fake baby bump and all.
Of course, that didn’t happen. But the more I thought about it, the more I came to believe in the value of a “meternity” leave — which is, to me, a sabbatical-like break that allows women and, to a lesser degree, men to shift their focus to the part of their lives that doesn’t revolve around their jobs.

I want all the perks of maternity leave — without having any kids | New York Post

Thar's what vacation is for

you're CO or first shirt was a bastard of the first order if they made non-smokers police up butts..... that **** didn't fly in my world, and I was a smoker.
throwing butts on the deck was one of my big pet peeves.... hell, I've even forced Marines to quit smoking because I witnesses them toss their butts on the deck.

as to the OP, the whiny chick needs to understand that there is already "meternity" leave... it's called a vacation.... she needs to take one and quit whining.

Yeah it was a real pisser. One guy actually mouthed off about and got really reamed for it. He shouldn't have mouthed off for sure but damn. This happened under more than my reserve unit CO. Actually a couple of them had the same policy. Wasn't so much the CO but this asshat master guns who was a real turd on just about everything. Then we had a real dick of a warrant officer in charge for a short while. Thank God it was a short while. lol

But also early when i was at Lejune for my first MOS training they had us doing it there too.

Yeah it was a real pisser. One guy actually mouthed off about and got really reamed for it. He shouldn't have mouthed off for sure but damn. This happened under more than my reserve unit CO. Actually a couple of them had the same policy. Wasn't so much the CO but this asshat master guns who was a real turd on just about everything. Then we had a real dick of a warrant officer in charge for a short while. Thank God it was a short while. lol

But also early when i was at Lejune for my first MOS training they had us doing it there too.
Everywhere I was stationed everyone had to pick up butts... smokers and non-smokers.

My last year I quietly rebelled and didn't pick any up. A friend asked my why so I told him. He said I'd get reamed for it, so I told him if I ever got called on it I'd pick them up until the storm rolled over, but I wasn't going to announce it and draw attention to myself.

Even though I have never been a smoker I have always been something of a defender of smokers, but that's the one thing they do that pisses me off and sometimes makes me want to stop defending them... when they treat the world as their personal ash tray and throw their butts on the ground.

I'd sure like at least two weeks to potty train a new puppy and give it some basic training.

Not everyone has children that walk on two legs.

I'd sure like at least two weeks to potty train a new puppy and give it some basic training.
Not everyone has children that walk on two legs.

My pets ARE my children. Who the hell are people to tell me they can't do what anyone elses kids do?

JUSTICE !!

Meghann Foye, 38, was jealous of co-workers clocking out for maternity leave, and decided she needed a break of her own. Here, the author of the novel “Meternity” (Mira, out now), tells The Post’s ANNA DAVIES why she believes every woman deserves mandated “me time.”

I was 31 years old in 2009, and I loved my career. As an editor at a popular magazine, I got to work on big stories, attend cool events, and meet famous celebs all the time.
And yet, after 10 years of working in a job where I was always on deadline, I couldn’t help but feel envious when parents on staff left the office at 6 p.m. to tend to their children, while it was assumed co-workers without kids would stay behind to pick up the slack.
“You know, I need a maternity leave!” I told one of my pregnant friends. She laughed, and we spent the afternoon plotting my escape from my 10-hour days, fake baby bump and all.
Of course, that didn’t happen. But the more I thought about it, the more I came to believe in the value of a “meternity” leave — which is, to me, a sabbatical-like break that allows women and, to a lesser degree, men to shift their focus to the part of their lives that doesn’t revolve around their jobs.

I want all the perks of maternity leave — without having any kids | New York Post

What if she adopts a puppy then declares herself "species fluid"?

Gays get all the perks from marriage and can't easily get pregnant. So why shouldn't everyone get the same perks as mothers get?

Gays get all the perks from marriage and can't easily get pregnant. So why shouldn't everyone get the same perks as mothers get?

They dont get maternity leave

They dont get maternity leave

They should. Just because they cannot become pregnant, you cannot just discriminate against them. That is, what this thread is all about. ;)

They should. Just because they cannot become pregnant, you cannot just discriminate against them. That is, what this thread is all about. ;)

Thread is about one person making a demand

Yes, one person making a demand, but she has a point and one that has been made for a long time now. I've known young singles who found themselves pulling a lot of extra weight, including work-weekends, and realized this was because they were childless. And I think a very good work question is this: If ____ can take time off for the 3rd-grade play, why can't I have time off for my dog's surgery? (Or take my dad to his doctor's appointment/whatever.)

From 2004: Employers Face Backlash From Childless - The Human Resources Social Network

From 2005: Childless workers feeling resentment towards extra perks for parents

Sinhgles Friendly Workplace Campaign -- Backlash Article

That's what vacation is for . . . and maternity leave isn't the same as vacation - I promise you, unless you want to actually deliver a cantaloupe through our vagina through some weird fetish clinic and only get 2 hours a sleep at a go...

That's what vacation is for . . . and maternity leave isn't the same as vacation - I promise you, unless you want to actually deliver a cantaloupe through our vagina through some weird fetish clinic and only get 2 hours a sleep at a go...

Uhh I know vey well weve had and raised more kids than most today have.

She sounds like an entitled, spoiled brat. If she needs some "me time" she should quit her job.

My pets ARE my children. Who the hell are people to tell me they can't do what anyone elses kids do?

JUSTICE !!

In that case I want two weeks to litter train my new kitten!!

Were do I sign up?

If men could have children, we wouldn't lol

Not an experience I wish to go thru, but admire the opposite sex for doing it. I just don't know why they would want to go thru it more than once lol

Back
Top Bottom