• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

I unironically support college debt transference

Local control of public education is one of the worst ideas ever imo. When do you suppose Little Rock would have integrated their schools if left to local control. There are localities in America that want to include creationism in their science curriculum. Can you honestly imagine todays parents working for the benefit of the entire school? They can't see further than their kids interests.
Forced integration? Why on earth would that be a school decision although there are certain schools that used to only allow a certain race to receive scholarships.
No Parent's wouldn't work for the benefit of the entire school. This is exactly why the choices of the student fall on the parent. If that parent was supporting their own child, and ALL parent's were responsible for their own child, then we would have a much smarter populace.

It is the right now, where we drop educational requirements to catch the ones that don't care, that we end up where we've ended up. Teaching to the lowest common denominator will never work to raise everyone up.

Forced integration? Why on earth would that be a school decision although there are certain schools that used to only allow a certain race to receive scholarships.
No Parent's wouldn't work for the benefit of the entire school. This is exactly why the choices of the student fall on the parent. If that parent was supporting their own child, and ALL parent's were responsible for their own child, then we would have a much smarter populace.

It is the right now, where we drop educational requirements to catch the ones that don't care, that we end up where we've ended up. Teaching to the lowest common denominator will never work to raise everyone up.
? Little Rock was a locality that made decisions for the school. Remember the Little Rock 9?

I agree, and since they don't even do that with close to 100% participation I remain against parent involvement in schools beyond their place in the selection of the curriculum and supporting their own students.

Teaching to the lowest common denominator is a talking point. It happens in some classrooms, but that is not what public education does.

The government pays for k-12. K-12 is no longer sufficient to compete globally. The government should pay for higher education imo. Imo, the likelihood of people returning after getting burned is lower than them taking a different path forward. Those loan balances are stopping people from moving ahead in their financial lives, and creating a system to profit off of a national interest was wrong.

I happen to agree with you about higher education.

But I still see no connection between transferring student loan debt and a better educated populace.

I made some stupid decisions in college, piled up a bunch of debt pursuing a degree I'd never use (history), and then poured a lot of overtime paychecks into (eventually) paying off everything I owed. So if Biden does decide to start forgiving student loan debts, I have one question. Where do I go to get my money back?

If their grads are having a hard time finding jobs and paying money, then that means the university failed them, and should take responsibility. Let's make university pay for student debt.

Certainly if widespread debt relief actually is necessary than it ought to be financed by the universities that took the money in the first place. Are they the only culprits in the educational-industrial complex? No, but it's a start.

Back
Top Bottom