• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

I thought the airlines were suffering from lack of passengers.

JacksinPA

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
I recently bought a state-of-the-art radio receiver, the ICOM IC R8600. See .

I've always been interested in aircraft radio communications. Even though I have yet to have my outdoor antenna installed for better reception, a wide-band discone antenna in my basement window will have to do. That puts the antenna at ground level & behind a thick glass window. Despite these limitations, I can hear both the ground station as well as the aircraft.

I've found a local channel for the New York Air Rote Traffic Control Center. The remote station that transmits & receives on 134.600 (AM mode) is assigned to the low altitude sector based in Yardley, PA, which is not that far from me. During the daytime there is nearly non-stop communications with airliners from all the major U.S. airlines, private planes & some airlines I've never heard of (callsign BRICKYARD is based in Indianapolis, IN. That callsign is derived from the local race track).

These planes wouldn't be flying if there were not enough passengers.

Heard:

JET BLUE
United
American
Delta
United
BRICKYARD
SPEEDBIRD (British)
Lufthansa
etc.

I've always been interested in aircraft radio communications. Even though I have yet to have my outdoor antenna installed for better reception, a wide-band discone antenna in my basement window will have to do. That puts the antenna at ground level & behind a thick glass window. Despite these limitations, I can hear both the ground station as well as the aircraft.

I've found a local channel for the New York Air Rote Traffic Control Center. The remote station that transmits & receives on 134.600 (AM mode) is assigned to the low altitude sector based in Yardley, PA, which is not that far from me. During the daytime there is nearly non-stop communications with airliners from all the major U.S. airlines, private planes & some airlines I've never heard of (callsign BRICKYARD is based in Indianapolis, IN. That callsign is derived from the local race track).

Heard:

JET BLUE
United
American
Delta
United
BRICKYARD
SPEEDBIRD (British)
Lufthansa
etc.

A gift to yourself with your tax return money? That little box is well over 2 grand.

A gift to yourself with your tax return money? That little box is well over 2 grand.
It is $2300 for the radio & another $250 for the combo speaker/power supply.

I had a lot of fun during the last solar sunspot max, receiving signals from Europe, Japan & Brazil. The next max is in July 2025, so I'm getting set up for it. This is the finest receiver for under $10,000, so I treated myself. Next task is installing antennas. The receiver has 3 different antenna inputs, one for VHF-UHF, for which I'm putting up a Diamond 25-1300 MHz discone, and two for HF, for which I'm designing a wire antenna.

This receiver is a superb design & well worth the money. The external speaker is like hi-fi.

Part of the cost came out of my stimulus payment.

Last edited:

Heard:

JET BLUE
United
American
Delta
United
BRICKYARD
SPEEDBIRD (British)
Lufthansa
etc.

Your anecdote is absolute garbage, that's your problem.

Back
Top Bottom