• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

I thought it was poetic

Aunt Spiker

Cheese
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
Watching a bit of Stossel - one of the journalists traveled to Detroit to explore one of the neighborhoods. The man she interviewed (I didn't catch his name - employed by the city, I believe) referred to piles of uncollected trash as 'remnants of life.'

I thought the phrase was a unique way of referring to trash/garbage - it wasn't trash, until it became a remnant of someone's life, tossed away and decided it wasn't useful anymore.

...and when you die - you'll just leave that behind: remnants of life.

Watching a bit of Stossel - one of the journalists traveled to Detroit to explore one of the neighborhoods. The man she interviewed (I didn't catch his name - employed by the city, I believe) referred to piles of uncollected trash as 'remnants of life.'

I thought the phrase was a unique way of referring to trash/garbage - it wasn't trash, until it became a remnant of someone's life, tossed away and decided it wasn't useful anymore.

You'll find people with a poetic soul and a way with words in all walks of life... and yeah that is an interesting way of putting it.

I honestly think that this idea is one of the reasons why I love thrift shopping and "treasure" hunting so much. I like extending the usefulness of things that were once useful. I like thinking about the history of where they may have been, and who had them before me.

I honestly think that this idea is one of the reasons why I love thrift shopping and "treasure" hunting so much. I like extending the usefulness of things that were once useful. I like thinking about the history of where they may have been, and who had them before me.

I collect antiques for that very reason! It's really very humbling to hold something in your hands that's over 100 years old, and wonder who held it before you, and wonder what must've their lives been like.

I collect antiques for that very reason! It's really very humbling to hold something in your hands that's over 100 years old, and wonder who held it before you, and wonder what must've their lives been like.

I feel the same about two of my old rifles. Both are Russian Mosin Nagants, one 1928 and a 1932. The "newer" one is highly modified, the older one is a number matching original. Not that that matters much, there have been something like 16 million of them produced, but it is interesting to show up at the range with an 80 year old rifle and ammo that was made in 1971 and score head shots at a quarter mile.

Back
Top Bottom