• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

I Thought George Harrison Wasn't Saved. Then I Saw This

LittleNipper

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
As an early teen, I accepted Christ into my life. But I still really enjoyed The Beatles. I wondered if I might one day see any of them in heaven --- but I sort of doubted it. Their goodness and kindness had nothing to do with it. The fact of their world fame had nothing to do with being salvation. It's all about that at some point in one's life, placing one's faith in GOD through the LORD JESUS CHRIST, and his death upon the cross as the sacrifice for ALL SIN ---- that whosoever believeth should not perish but be granted eternal salvation. But how shall one hear without a preacher? So I wondered... And then George Harrison was gone. :cry: Could he have heard? Did a friend talk to him? Now, I have a possible answer that made me so very happy! Please watch the following ---- your eternity may depend on it:

I think I'll believe what George Harrison said about God and religion rather than what Emerson Fittipaldi says about George Harrison, God and religion.

Harrison was absolutely not a Christian.

As an early teen, I accepted Christ into my life. But I still really enjoyed The Beatles. I wondered if I might one day see any of them in heaven --- but I sort of doubted it. Their goodness and kindness had nothing to do with it. The fact of their world fame had nothing to do with being salvation. It's all about that at some point in one's life, placing one's faith in GOD through the LORD JESUS CHRIST, and his death upon the cross as the sacrifice for ALL SIN ---- that whosoever believeth should not perish but be granted eternal salvation. But how shall one hear without a preacher? So I wondered... And then George Harrison was gone. :cry: Could he have heard? Did a friend talk to him? Now, I have a possible answer that made me so very happy! Please watch the following ---- your eternity may depend on it:

Oh ye of little understanding.

But it works, you don't have to be plumber to turn on the faucet.

To have someone preach to you is a great benediction to reject it is tragic.

It is true, the ignorant can be in great trouble at death.

Let's not forget when the Beatles split, and Harrison released his first solo album, "All Things Must Pass", the biggest hit off the triple album may have been, "My Sweet Lord".

Also during that era, released two years later, was the Doobie Brothers, "Jesus is just alright" (with Jeff Baxter's amazing solo!).

Besides Christianity in song titles, many popular tunes had lyrics referencing Christianity and other religiosity, such as in Don McClean's 1971 mega hit, "American Pie".

I went down to the sacred store where I'd heard the music years before
But the man there said the music wouldn't play

And in the streets, the children screamed
The lovers cried, and the poets dreamed
But not a word was spoken
The church bells all were broken

And the three men I admire most
The Father, Son, and the Holy Ghost
They caught the last train for the coast
The day the music died

"Father, Son, and Holy Ghost", is a direct quote from the, Catholic Doxology; note the caps in the official lyrics, which I display in opening this sentence.

--

I think this points not just to more religiosity in older general audience pop music, but in our greater acceptance of it throughout society back then.

I suspect, actually I hope, there are more modern examples of general audience pop music that does not shy away from spiritual content & references. There was a time when we could hear a huge diversity of music on one radio station, and now we seem to be so segmented. Some of that is fine, in that it allows us to select the genre we desire at that moment, if we so chose. But it also means our young people and budding young musicians may not have a breadth of experience to draw from. They can become 'shallow'.

I suppose I'm, just lamenting the loss of the amazing breadth & creativity of the music of sixties & seventies . . .

Last edited:
I think I'll believe what George Harrison said about God and religion rather than what Emerson Fittipaldi says about George Harrison, God and religion.

What I can tell you is that my own father became a very good friend with a Jewish man. And my dad would answer his questions and witnessed to him. And this man ended up with cancer. My dad took an opportunity to again approach him about Christ the Messiah. And this man accepted the LORD. And yet, the wife wasn't receptive. When he passed, he was buried as a Reform Jew. Though my dad was (in this case) given an opportunity to speak at the funeral --- the family wasn't entirely happy. So, to the "world" the man wasn't Christian. But my dad knew better. And my dad did say that his friend's demeanor had changed noticeably the days before his death ---- after accepting the CHRIST as his MESSIAH and he wasn't so apprehensive.

Last edited:
I will also say this, that JESUS CHRIST can save people despite their politics. GOD ultimately knows exactly where we stand and that is what counts.

Last edited:
Let's not forget when the Beatles split, and Harrison released his first solo album, "All Things Must Pass", the biggest hit off the triple album may have been, "My Sweet Lord".

Also during that era, released two years later, was the Doobie Brothers, "Jesus is just alright" (with Jeff Baxter's amazing solo!).

Besides Christianity in song titles, we had huge hits with Christian lyrics, such as in Don McClean's 1971 mega hit, "American Pie".

"Father, Son, and Holy Ghost",
is a direct quote from the, Catholic Doxology; note the caps in the official lyrics, which I display in opening this sentence.

--

I think this points not just to more religiosity in older general audience pop music, but in our greater acceptance of it throughout society back then.

I suspect, actually I hope, there are more modern examples of general audience pop music that does not shy away from spiritual content & references. There was a time when we could hear a huge diversity of music on one radio station, and now we seem to be so segmented. Some of that is fine, in that it allows us to select the genre we desire at that moment, if we so chose. But it also means our young people and budding young musicians may not have a breadth of experience to draw from. They can become 'shallow'.

I suppose I'm, just lamenting the loss of the amazing breadth & creativity of the music of sixties & seventies . . .
Queen's first album says some things about Christ, or maybe those are the bonus tracks.

"My Sweet Lord" isn't Christian, it's Hindu, they're chanting Hare Krishna. Krishnas call numerous manifestation Lord, any Avatar, the Deity in the Temple, Christ etc.

Last edited:
What I can tell you is that my own father became a very good friend with a Jewish man. And my dad would answer his questions and witnessed to him. And this man ended up with cancer. My dad took an opportunity to again approach him about Christ the Messiah. And this man accepted the LORD. And yet, the wife wasn't receptive. When he passed, he was buried as a Reform Jew. Though my dad was (in this case) given an opportunity to speak at the funeral --- the family wasn't entirely happy. So, to the "world" the man wasn't Christian. But my dad knew better. And my dad did say that his friend's demeanor had changed noticeably the days before his death ---- after accepting the CHRIST as his MESSIAH and he wasn't so apprehensive.
Very interesting but George Harrison was not a Christian.

Queen's first album says some things about Christ, or maybe those are the bonus tracks.

"My Sweet Lord" isn't Christian, it's Hindu, they're chanting Hare Krishna. Krishnas call numerous manifestation Lord, any Avatar, the Deity in the Temple, Christ etc.

Interesting; I wasn't aware of that. I never heard of Hindu Deities referred to as, "Lord". If that's so, it would seem to be a holdover from Harrison's Catholic upbringing. Actually, I assumed the tune reflected Harrison being a baptized Catholic, and perhaps a 'born again' scenario.

Thanks for your input in this.

But regardless, my greater point was that religiosity seemed to be more prevalent in mainstream pop music of earlier decades.

Armed Force Radio (Europe) played this song very often during the Christmas season of 1970.

Besides Christianity in song titles, many popular tunes had lyrics referencing Christianity and other religiosity, such as in Don McClean's 1971 mega hit, "American Pie".

Far away across the field
The tolling of the iron bell
Calls the faithful to their knees
To hear the softly spoken magic spells.
- Pink Floyd (1973)
Armed Force Radio (Europe) played this song very often during the Christmas season of 1970.
Bet they didn't play this one...

- Pink Floyd (1973)

Ah - but Christian piety references alone, do not imply a profession or support of religious Faith.

Many of those references are also acerbic, sarcastic, or refuting.

I love that song!

It got tons of airplay for decades afterward, and I still occasionally hear it; it always stops me in my tracks.

Last edited:

That was one of the very first songs I learned to play! Back when all I knew was a few open chords.

It was Am & D through the intro, and I forgot the rest.

But, the Beatles had some amazing depth in their use of complex chord structure, especially transitioning chords. They had amazing songwriting talent, even if they originally had pretty much no formal training or understanding.

Those were pretty cool times, as so many young people were creating music, often by 'ear', and if they ever hit it big, the sheet music publishers had their people figure-out what the chords were, because the artists didn't know! They artists just knew it sounded & felt good!

Great times. eh?

Interesting; I wasn't aware of that. I never heard of Hindu Deities referred to as, "Lord". If that's so, it would seem to be a holdover from Harrison's Catholic upbringing. Actually, I assumed the tune reflected Harrison being a baptized Catholic, and perhaps a 'born again' scenario.

But regardless, my greater point was that religiosity seemed to be more prevalent in mainstream pop music of earlier decades.
All the energy of the era was because the first Teacher was on the planet (1896-1977). There is some after glow, a few bands few bands a few more great albums, but then its over, afterglow. Like a thief in the night, he came and went, and we didn't even know, well, some got to know, don't worry you didn't miss much, a lot of struggle and sacrifice.

There is a thousand years to the third Teacher who is on the planet during the Red Horse, or second Tribulation. We are presently in the White Horse (2020-2026, 2030.5).

- Pink Floyd (1973)

This one's not a Beatle's Song; however, I like it better. The guy knew what he was talking about:

George Harrison was a devout Hindu...

Harrison was raised a Catholic, but took up Hinduism in later life. MSL compares and contrasts the words Hallelujah with Hare Krishna, using them alternately to mean the same thing, calling for spirituality without sectarianism, as a universal desire to be closer to your god, whoever that might be.

Well, if he's baptized Catholic, then he's saved, he had Catechism, you don't lose that by chanting Hare Krishna.

Hare Krishna lends validity to Christ and Christ lends credibility to Hare Krishna, they're really intertwined, Christ is an associate of the Avatar Caitanya (1486), namely the Son. As Krishna there was Balaram and Caitanya has Nityananda, but the actual Son is Jesus Christ.

This one's not a Beatle's Song; however, I like it better. The guy knew what he was talking about:

Yes, an amazingly poignant tune based upon a real-life experience, that nearly all of us can relate to.

It's hard to hear it, and not feel the pangs of the loss of one's youth & innocence.

All I can say, is,

"Why is youth wasted on the young?"

--

But I must say in my personal experience, trying to recapture the feeling of an early lost love, didn't work-out. It just wasn't the same, trying to recapture what we once had in innocence - several years before.

I kinda' wish I had left the old memories & feelings remain as the were - great memories & feelings! Because the redux was nothing compared to the original moment in time, and in fact we both moved quickly past teach other after a single night! It just wasn't the same.

In fact, trying it again with another lover years later, I got the same result.

So after those, I leave other old lovers in the past, even if they do cross my path. Better to have some laughs, memories, and share some good vibes over a few beers, part with a happy and joyous hug & kiss, then trying to recreate a spark and feeling that was unique to a special place and time.

Last edited:
Yes, an amazingly poignant tune based upon a real-life experience, that nearly all of us can relate to.

It's hard to hear it, and not feel the pangs of the loss of one's youth & innocence.

All I can say, is,

"Why is youth wasted on the young?"

--

But I must say in my personal experience, trying to recapture the feeling of an early lost love, didn't work-out. It just wasn't the same, trying to recapture what we once had in innocence -several years before.

I kinda' wish I had left the old memories & feelings remain as the were - great memories & feelings! Because the redux was nothing compared to the original moment in time, and in fact we both moved quickly past teach other after a single night! It just wasn't the same.

In fact, trying it again with another lover years later, I got the same result.

So after those, I leave other old lovers in the past, even if they do cross my path. Better to have some laughs, memories, and share some good vibes over a few beers, part with a happy and joyous hug & kiss, then trying to recreate a spark and feeling that was unique to a special place and time.
In my experience it is not just lovers. Friends of the past rarely have been able to rekindle what the original vibe was.

I heard an interesting story, that in his past life, on this planet or some other, George Harrison was a successful brahmin singer who donated all his wealth to Caitanya to help him start his mission. The story says John Lennon donated a cow to a brahmin that pleased the Lord, and that was his ticket. Sacrificial animals from ancient Israel get to be stars.

In my experience it is not just lovers. Friends of the past rarely have been able to rekindle what the original vibe was.

Good point.

If the friendship was that important, that nourishing, it would not have been left to grow fallow.

There are exceptions, though. One was someone that got addicted, and we grew apart. Now clean, the relationship resumed, and is not just doing great, but I'd argue better than ever!

Back
Top Bottom