• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

I think Kamala Harris just catapulted herself into front-runner status among Demc POTUS hopefuls

Xelor

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Kamala Harris' speech isn't done yet, but from what I've heard thus far, she's looking quite strong and quite presidential.

I can't say she'll be the Democratic nominee, but I can say that, to my ear, she sounds far more compelling than did Sally Warren and Kirsten Gillibrand.

It’s early; she’s hitting all the talking points. After the dumpster dive on her past is done, who knows......

Kamala Harris' speech isn't done yet, but from what I've heard thus far, she's looking quite strong and quite presidential.

I can't say she'll be the Democratic nominee, but I can say that, to my ear, she sounds far more compelling than did Sally Warren and Kirsten Gillibrand.

I agree that she is the frontrunner today. I see Warren as gathering no real steam and Gillibrand even less.

I suspect Biden will not run - and if he does will fade long before the race hits the mid point as he just will not have the energy nor stamina to do it. It is sad he did not run last time as he could have won. Bernie will probably run but I doubt he will get the support he got last time since it was a binary choice that will not be present in 2020. Castro and Brown might make a splash or two in the pool but do not have what it takes to win the nomination

That leaves Robert Francis O'Rourke who has the charisma and the ability to put the funds and organization together to take on Kamala and make a real run for it.

In the end, the two of them on a ticket would be ideal.

Senator Harris needs to lose the “cackle!”

I agree that she is the frontrunner today. I see Warren as gathering no real steam and Gillibrand even less.

I suspect Biden will not run - and if he does will fade long before the race hits the mid point as he just will not have the energy nor stamina to do it. It is sad he did not run last time as he could have won. Bernie will probably run but I doubt he will get the support he got last time since it was a binary choice that will not be present in 2020. Castro and Brown might make a splash or two in the pool but do not have what it takes to win the nomination

That leaves Robert Francis O'Rourke who has the charisma and the ability to put the funds and organization together to take on Kamala and make a real run for it.

Well, Beto's not announced and I'm not from Texas; consequently, I'm currently keen on Kamala and Julian. I like Beto, what I know of him (never met him), and I wouldn't have any object (based on what I know now) to him. Mind you, it's far too early for me to have a solid preference, if not because I'm not a Democrat, then because it's just too damn early.

I don’t think she’s charismatic enough. She’s like a female Obama without the inspiring charisma.

Charisma wins elections. Trump is a jerk but he has a lot of charisma. He’s a big personality. Only Beto or Bernie can compete with the force of Trump’s personality.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If that turns out the be worse folks can say about her, she'll be the next POTUS.

I’m not feeling it. Careful of latching on to the shiny new thing........

Well, Beto's not announced and I'm not from Texas; consequently, I'm currently keen on Kamala and Julian. I like Beto, what I know of him (never met him), and I wouldn't have any object (based on what I know now) to him. Mind you, it's far too early for me to have a solid preference, if not because I'm not a Democrat, then because it's just too damn early.

Its going to be interesting. It appears that O'Rourke is going to take at least a month or two to make his decision. I think he has to get in by the first day of Spring or so to get the talent he wants on his team. If he does it, I suspect it will come down to he and Harris especially if Booker stays out and leaves the African American primary vote to her. Remember that it was the female African American vote (both the primaries and among the party regulars that made up super delegates) that was so strong and steady for Clinton in 2016. Take that away from her - even as an even split with Sanders - and she would not have been the nominee.

And it boggles the mind to imagine what would have happened then.

Also to be noted is the diversity of the crowd she drew.

It’s early; she’s hitting all the talking points. After the dumpster dive on her past is done, who knows......

Red:
The results of the opposition research on her have yet to be made public. The thing about her, along with quite a few of the Dems who're running or expected to, is that she's a "regular" person rather than a person who grew up cosseted in privilege and "old boy" networks. I note that because "regular" people don't generally have much in the way of "skeletons in their closets," mainly because "skeletons" are expensive to have and keep buried, as the "Stormy" NDA showed the world. Yes, she's got some political past, but it's as an AG, not as a legislator, and there's not much "elbow greasing" going on with state AGs.

I have to admit her slogan, taken from something she's said time and time again -- Kamala Harris for the people -- is quite appealing.

The ususal calls for (at least) doubling federal spending with few specifics as to how that would be paid for. Her dig at increased border security (Trump's vanity project?) not being the way to prevent illegal immigration (specifically criminals, gang members, terrorists and drug/human smugglers) was followed by a quick change of the subject rathter than offering any alternative proposal whatsoever. Talking points are fine yet, without offering any policy details, are just more of the same BS that politicians from both parties have been spewing for decades.

Red:
The results of the opposition research on her have yet to be made public. The thing about her, along with quite a few of the Dems who're running or expected to, is that she's a "regular" person rather than a person who grew up cosseted in privilege and "old boy" networks. I note that because "regular" people don't generally have much in the way of "skeletons in their closets," mainly because "skeletons" are expensive to have and keep buried, as the "Stormy" NDA showed the world. Yes, she's got some political past, but it's as an AG, not as a legislator, and there's not much "elbow greasing" going on with state AGs.

The Willie Brown shoe will fall in the next week........

What O'Rourke has is a father-in-law worth $20 billion dollars. That's his "charisma." :roll:

The ususal calls for (at least) doubling federal spending with few specifics as to how that would be paid for. Her dig at increased border security (Trump's vanity project?) not being the way to prevent illegal immigration (specifically criminals, gang members, terrorists and drug/human smugglers) was followed by a quick change of the subject rathter than offering any alternative proposal whatsoever. Talking points are fine yet, without offering any policy details, are just more of the same BS that politicians from both parties have been spewing for decades.

Think. Think about a political campaign as a roughly two-year long argumentative essay (one that's really a book, not a paper) in the making. What's the first part of such an essay? The introduction. What you saw from her today is basically the first paragraph of a multi-page introduction in a book.

As for her not offing many wall details, there's really no reason for her to do so at this point in the process. She's been a US senator. She's got votes that make clear what she thinks is worth doing/not doing as goes immigration management. If you want to know, read the bills for/against which she voted. When she gets round to delivering an immigration policy speech, then you can remark on the whether she offered a proposal.

Remember, she's running the Kamala Harris campaign the way she wants to run it; she's not running the ttwtt78640 method of campaigning for Kamala Harris. That means she's going to deliver her message the way she wants to do so, and on her time table, not yours.

How can anyone be a frontrunner when we're still a year away from the first primaries? I swear, the only exercise some of us get is when we're jumping to conclusions.

:roll:

Right on the heels of her announcement this afternoon, Sen. Harris has a town hall tomorrow night.

She's "hitting it hard" right from the start. This woman isn't playin'! She seems determined not to be the one playing catch-up. That town hall, if it goes well, is going to make it daunting for a number of unannounced aspirants to get in, especially if they aren't all that different from her. Indeed, one of the major challenges Dems will face is distinguishing themselves from their party peers who also are running.

Aside:
I'm just guessing on this, but I suspect the "fight" among the Dem candidates will have little mud slinging, mainly because I don't think they want to give the GOP any ideas. Indeed, if one doesn't engage in relativism with one's "frenemies," one gives the real opponent no ammo. I think all the Dem candidates think this: Any and all of us are better than the Clown in the WH now, so why be nasty to one another when doing so only makes his task easier.

Of the three so far, I would support Kamala Harris although her speech was pretty much what anyone would expect from a democrat. I'm holding out hope that Amy Klobuchar will run, she's really someone I could fully support.

I don’t think she’s charismatic enough. She’s like a female Obama without the inspiring charisma.

Charisma wins elections. Trump is a jerk but he has a lot of charisma. He’s a big personality. Only Beto or Bernie can compete with the force of Trump’s personality.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I watched her whole speech and it was good. She did tell a lot of truth about how we like to say america is and how it really is. She had a lot of good talking points. I was not inspired, not feeling the goosebumps. The dems want to fall in love with their candidate which means charisma is a must. In my very humble opinion we have only one person as democrats that I would call inspirational and that's Beto. I don't live in texas but I do live in the south where he generated a lot of excitement. The only other person I see who might run and can inspire the dems is Bernie. Every progressive you will hear in the future, Bernie started it all. He's not a democrat but he is for real and believes what he says. He doesn't say it just to win, it's what he feels, it's who he is. I don't care about his age, I care about his vision and any progressive who can match his energy.

How can anyone be a frontrunner when we're still a year away from the first primaries? I swear, the only exercise some of us get is when we're jumping to conclusions.

:roll:

??? How? Seriously?

When there are X people racing to a finish line, it doesn't matter how far away be the finish line, once the race has started, someone, at any given point between the start and the finish, is ahead of the rest. That person is the frontrunner. Insofar as no actual voting has taken place, the current phase of the "marathon" that is candidacy for the Democratic nomination for POTUS is a poll result. That's how one can be a frontrunner this far away from the first primary.

Now, I don't have a poll result after Harris having announced her candidacy, but I can say that her doing so felt and looked more "moving" than did the announcements and other remarks of the currently running Dem candidates, save maybe Castro. My sense to that effect is why my thread title says "I think Kamala Harris just catapulted herself into front-runner status." I could be wrong, and, you know what, it'll be just fine if I am, for, as you note, it's super early in the race.

Of the three so far, I would support Kamala Harris although her speech was pretty much what anyone would expect from a democrat. I'm holding out hope that Amy Klobuchar will run, she's really someone I could fully support.

I like Amy. But as I've said, the Dem field of "big name" announced and expected-to-announce candidate looks quite strong.

Back
Top Bottom