• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

I think it's over, come next Tuesday (11/24).

Chomsky

Social Democrat
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
Why?

Well, after taking a look at the electoral map and the certification dates for the six pertinent swing states ....

... it looks to me GA certed yesterday (Fri - 20th), and MI & PA cert Monday (23rd).

That leaves only the remaining low-count swing states of AZ, WI, and NV left to cert - with a total of only 28 electoral votes between them. With Biden at 306 EC, he will be certed or non-disputed at over 270 come Monday, even without those 28 remaining votes. Actually, he will be at 278. So to me, it seems the whole shebang is over at the start of the coming week.

Is my case legit?

Why?

Well, after taking a look at the electoral map and the certification dates for the six pertinent swing states ....

... it looks to me GA certed yesterday (Fri - 20th), and MI & PA cert Monday (23rd).

That leaves only the remaining low-count swing states of AZ, WI, and NV left to cert - with a total of only 28 electoral votes between them. With Biden at 306 EC, he will be certed or non-disputed at over 270 come Monday, even without those 28 remaining votes. Actually, he will be at 278. So to me, it seems the whole shebang is over at the start of the coming week.

Is my case legit?
I think Governor Kemp is going to rain on that parade to some extent:
Georgia Gov. Brian Kemp certifies election results, calls for audit

This circus seems like it will continue through at least mid-December.

I think Governor Kemp is going to rain on that parade to some extent:
Georgia Gov. Brian Kemp certifies election results, calls for audit

This circus seems like it will continue through at least mid-December.
Well, there's nothing much they can do. The important thing is the ressults have been officially certified. So now, it's pretty much impossible to dispute them.

As to the possibility of an audit:

Kemp also asked Raffensperger to do a sample audit to compare voters’ signatures on mail-in ballots but the secretary of state has said that’s impossible at this point because the ballots are separated from the outer security envelope during the counting process, according to CBS News.

So it seems, so much for that.

And a recount, should Trump want one, will do nothing.

IDK but I sure hope so!
Once those certs are in, come Monday, I believe it would take extraordinary measures to overturn them. Whereas there might be fluidity now, once certed the onus then shifts to having to overturn certification. And I see that as a hurdle of a whole different degree.

Last edited:
Why?

Is my case legit?
Not for a segment of the media that still thinks its best path to higher ad revenue is paved by clicks on headlines with the word "Coup" in them.

By now, most have accepted the election results as Biden/Harris being the winner and moved on to not messing up the turkey and/or hoarding tp.
Many have. We have. But, I'm not sure Trump & the GOP have ...

Once those certs are in, come Monday, I believe it would take extraordinary measures to overturn it. Whereas there might be fluidity now, once certed the onus then shifts to having to overturn certification. And I see that as a hurdle of a whole different degree.
Can the electors ignore certification?

Well, there's nothing much they can do. The important thing is the ressults have been officially certified. So now, it's pretty much impossible to dispute them.

I would have felt better had the CARES Act included more financing to states to handle the expected large amounts of mail-in ballots and absentee ballots. There should have been provisions in place for signature checking using handwriting experts or a system similar to Colorado's with trustworthy software to check signatures. We could have eliminated much of these doubts, but instead, mail-in ballots were treated as fraudulent no matter what measures were put in place so Trump could then declare the very possibility of fraud that he himself helped to create.

I do not believe a lot of fraud occurred, and certainly not enough to overturn the election, but I do believe Trump and members of the GOP created a situation purposefully that they could make those allegations.

Not for a segment of the media that still thinks its best path to higher ad revenue is paved by clicks on headlines with the word "Coup" in them.

If what Trump has attempted happened in any other country, we would cover it here as a coup attempt. We are just lucky that Trump is utterly incompetent, and thus had no hope of ever pulling it off.

Can the electors ignore certification?
In most cases, no.

But even in the cases where they are not bound by law, at 306-232 we'd have to assume at least 37 Democratic Party electors become faithless, and switch from being Dems to supporting Trump. I find that impossible to believe. Why would they desert their party? Most electors are long-time party loyalists.

In most cases, no.

But even in the cases where they are not bound by law, at 306-232 we'd have to assume at least 37 Democratic Party electors become faithless, and switch from being Dems to supporting Trump. I find that impossible to believe. Why would they desert their party? Most electors are long-time party loyalists.
Thanks, I've never paid attention to such details, because previous candidates did not try to exploit them.

I would have felt better had the CARES Act included more financing to states to handle the expected large amounts of mail-in ballots and absentee ballots. There should have been provisions in place for signature checking using handwriting experts or a system similar to Colorado's with trustworthy software to check signatures. We could have eliminated much of these doubts, but instead, mail-in ballots were treated as fraudulent no matter what measures were put in place so Trump could then declare the very possibility of fraud that he himself helped to create.

I do not believe a lot of fraud occurred, and certainly not enough to overturn the election, but I do believe Trump and members of the GOP created a situation purposefully that they could make those allegations.

Well, nothing can be done about the past. And there's probably only so much Biden can do about it without the Senate. Besides, the states determine their election process, and many States are GOP run.

Thanks for the information about the audit and everything else Chomsky, good to know.

If what Trump has attempted happened in any other country, we would cover it here as a coup attempt. We are just lucky that Trump is utterly incompetent, and thus had no hope of ever pulling it off.
Not unlike the "Great Gore Coup of 2000," yes?

Thanks, I've never paid attention to such details, because previous candidates did not try to exploit them.
Welcome!

I've always found it a fascinating subject, but yeah I've been learning a lot - too. It's the one good thing Trump did; he got us involved, testing the boundaries, and examining norms and things taken for granted. Those are actually good things.

Not unlike the "Great Gore Coup of 2000," yes?
False equivalency detected.

danger_will_robinson.jpg

Thanks for the information about the audit and everything else Chomsky, good to know.
You're welcome, buddy.

Of course, I'm presenting the numbers. But I can't quantify politics, illegality, or un-Constitutionality!

As Henry Kissenger once said:

"The illegal we can do immediately; unconstitutional takes a little longer!"

Welcome!

I've always found it a fascinating subject, but yeah I've been learning a lot - too. It's the one good thing Trump did; he got us involved, testing the boundaries, and examining norms and things taken for granted. Those are actually good things.
I've long considered Trump a kind of Constitutional stress test. I actually think a few years from now we'll realize we've passed that test.

I think he forgot that you have to become the dictator BEFORE trying to blatantly re-write reality. When you do it without being dictator, apparently 75% of Rs will still buy in, but not the rest of the country.

Back
Top Bottom