• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

I think in the next century there will be a huge shift in how much women can influence men with sex.

What if we can build an AI that simulates human emotions realistically?

If it is indistinguishable from a human, then it could replace human relationships. But we wouldn't build a sex robot AI that is indistinguishable from a human, because the only reason for a sex robot is for on-demand sexual gratification, and an AI that is indistinguishable from a human would likely have the same reaction to being asked for on-demand sexual gratification as a human would.

But yes. A sufficiently advanced AI could replace a human relationship. But it would have to behave in a sufficiently human way to do so. I think any "sexbot" AI would not behave as such and would eventually become boring and unfulfilling for the majority of people.

If it is indistinguishable from a human, then it could replace human relationships. But we wouldn't build a sex robot AI that is indistinguishable from a human, because the only reason for a sex robot is for on-demand sexual gratification, and an AI that is indistinguishable from a human would likely have the same reaction to being asked for on-demand sexual gratification as a human would.

But yes. A sufficiently advanced AI could replace a human relationship. But it would have to behave in a sufficiently human way to do so. I think any "sexbot" AI would not behave as such and would eventually become boring and unfulfilling for the majority of people.

Some people might see undying loyalty as a big perk from AI partners. Insecurity is a big problem in a lot of relationships.

I want to remind everybody that we already have instances of males checking out of reality for anime girl body pillow wives.

I would argue that most of these males would prefer a real wife over a pillow wife. Just the kind of wife they think they want and not the kind of wife they think they deserve.

I would argue that most of these males would prefer a real wife over a pillow wife.

The pillow wife is easier for a generation that wants to hook itself up to the internet and never go outside. The AI wife will be easier too.

Some people might see undying loyalty as a big perk from AI partners. Insecurity is a big problem in a lot of relationships.

There are lots of potential problems in human relationships that can be "solved" with sex toys. The problem is that you lose more than you gain in solving these problems.

There are lots of potential problems in human relationships that can be "solved" with sex toys. The problem is that you lose more than you gain in solving these problems.

We might reach a point where we decide it doesn't actually matter anymore what's reality and what isn't. Perception is reality.

We might reach a point where we decide it doesn't actually matter anymore what's reality and what isn't. Perception is reality.

It's possible. But at that point, when an AI is indistinguishable from a real person, haven't they now become real people?

It's possible. But at that point, when an AI is indistinguishable from a real person, haven't they now become real people?

Would they grow? Age? Die? Free will? Would they have romantic preferences? Maybe, but at that point it makes no sense to not be with a person. The advantage of AI love for a lot of people will be the lack of free will that would allow them to leave. If their minds are ultimately enslaved then no, I wouldn't call them people.

Why does this opinion make me an incel?

Because it casts women as a wily trickster which is an incel attitude.

I am in a relationship, for example, where she does not use sex to influence me, we just both enjoy it for what it is.

Because it casts women as a wily trickster

If that's what you got out of my post then you interpreted it wrong. Feel free to address something specific that you take issue with.

If that's what you got out of my post then you interpreted it wrong. Feel free to address something specific that you take issue with.

I just did

Plug 'n' play?

Well, that's the positive gloss. The negative gloss is that a sexbot AI would be far more likely (IMO) to become bored with human sexuality & all the microdramas that go with that. The AI would probably go off & become involved with some other AI - & over the Internet would be fine, assuming that the lack of simultaneity wouldn't be a problem. After all, they would be AIs - presumably they could buffer their responses & so get over the latency issue.

If you truly want to get depressed over these kind of issues, a human lover probably wouldn't even notice that his/her sexbot AI was two-timing him/her - as time flows differently for our digital cousins (I assume).

Can you quote something from the OP and dispute it?

Typically men desire and seek out sex more than women do. They pursue women way more often than vise versa. I believe that within 100 years simulated sex will be just as good as or possibly even better than real sex. When a guy can have sex with a robot that's better looking and better at sex than any real woman he has a chance with it's going to seriously change the dynamics of our society. I think it'll be even worse when the robots get good at simulating emotions and intimacy as well.

I think a lot of women won't be prepared for when men start to become more cold and indifferent towards them like they are with other men. True equality for them is going to be a hard pill to swallow. Women have no concept of how much of the good vibes and good will they get from other people is nothing more than bait on a line to get their panties off. Once they lose that social power/advantage they are going to feel powerless and forgotten by men. I believe that ultimately women will overcome this and that they'll be better for it. I think men not caring as much to pursue women for sexual satisfaction will be the real end of sexism in our society.

I want to end clarifying that I do not think a woman's only usefulness is sex, but from a man's perspective sex is way up there on the list of reasons why women are awesome. It gives them a lot of power over men.

Bolded. I have had women try that on me, even in the context of a relationship, I just dumped them and found someone more suited to my temperament.

Anybody can do that.

Bolded. I have had women try that on me, even in the context of a relationship, I just dumped them and found someone more suited to my temperament.

Anybody can do that.

You're seeing my post as an attack on women and that's really not what it is. I'm not accusing women of doing anything but being the more desired sex. I don't think women are venomous sluts that are abusive to men. That is how incels think.

You're seeing my post as an attack on women and that's really not what it is. I'm not accusing women of doing anything but being the more desired sex. I don't think women are venomous sluts that are abusive to men. That is how incels think.

Actually you are right and I apologize. I misread it.

The thing I would worry most about simulated sex is that we are already cave men in a high tech world and our instincts do not seem to map to our current environment very well.

I suspect this will have far more side effects than the social one you describe since there will likely be brain chemistry and other effects below the conscious level that we couldn't even begin to understand.

I'm ready for my closeup, Mr. DeMille

Would they grow? Age? Die? Free will? Would they have romantic preferences? Maybe, but at that point it makes no sense to not be with a person. The advantage of AI love for a lot of people will be the lack of free will that would allow them to leave. If their minds are ultimately enslaved then no, I wouldn't call them people.

Then we're not talking about AI, or @ least, not strong AI. & in order to satisfactorily even simulate emotional attachment to a normal person, I think it would need to be strong AI. What you're describing here (above) is merely the mechanical function of sex. You don't need AI for that - & currently, AI (the nearest approximation that I'm aware of, @ least) is prohibitively expensive to be used to indulge in sexual playacting.

Re: I'm ready for my closeup, Mr. DeMille

Then we're not talking about AI, or @ least, not strong AI. & in order to satisfactorily even simulate emotional attachment to a normal person, I think it would need to be strong AI. What you're describing here (above) is merely the mechanical function of sex. You don't need AI for that - & currently, AI (the nearest approximation that I'm aware of, @ least) is prohibitively expensive to be used to indulge in sexual playacting.

With an enslaved mind they could be similar to humans. People are so detached from others socially that they probably wouldn't even notice.

For there to be an advantage, they would have to be distinguishable from humans.

My understanding of the current theories is that if it is possible for AI to reach human-equivalent intelligence, it would only be for a nanosecond. Once AI is equal in intelligence to humans, it will rapidly become super intelligent. At that point, we can only guess its next moves. I tend to be in the "benevolent AI" camp. I think super-intelligent AI would more or less become a zookeeper for humanity and all other animals, and Earth would become a the equivalent of a nature preserve. We would likely be cared for from afar and rarely interact with it as it would have its own agenda to pursue that we could hardly guess at.

I base this fanciful theory solely on the only other example we have of a being or beings far more intelligent than everything else: Humans, and our general consensus on how we should behave toward the animal kingdom. I imagine a super intelligent AI would be better at planetary conservation than humans are, and would be able to do so without enslaving or rendering any of the inferior species extinct, including us.

For there to be an advantage, they would have to be distinguishable from humans.

My understanding of the current theories is that if it is possible for AI to reach human-equivalent intelligence, it would only be for a nanosecond. Once AI is equal in intelligence to humans, it will rapidly become super intelligent. At that point, we can only guess its next moves. I tend to be in the "benevolent AI" camp. I think super-intelligent AI would more or less become a zookeeper for humanity and all other animals, and Earth would become a the equivalent of a nature preserve. We would likely be cared for from afar and rarely interact with it as it would have its own agenda to pursue that we could hardly guess at.

I base this fanciful theory solely on the only other example we have of a being or beings far more intelligent than everything else: Humans, and our general consensus on how we should behave toward the animal kingdom. I imagine a super intelligent AI would be better at planetary conservation than humans are, and would be able to do so without enslaving or rendering any of the inferior species extinct, including us.

I think all of the doom and gloom about AI is just the human negativity bias at work.

I think all of the doom and gloom about AI is just the human negativity bias at work.

The fear of AI is understandable. If an AI reaches human-level intelligence and beyond, we will be at its mercy. While I assume that a super-intelligent AI must be at least as smart as the smartest humans and, like intelligent humans, would seek a harmonious relationship with inferior beings, (especially considering it will be capable of rational communication with us,) who are too inferior to be any threat, this could be wrong. If it is, there won't be anything we can do about it.

The fear of AI is understandable. If an AI reaches human-level intelligence and beyond, we will be at its mercy. While I assume that a super-intelligent AI must be at least as smart as the smartest humans and, like intelligent humans, would seek a harmonious relationship with inferior beings, (especially considering it will be capable of rational communication with us,) who are too inferior to be any threat, this could be wrong. If it is, there won't be anything we can do about it.

It will be the biggest collective letting go process humanity will ever face. Losing control is scary.

Of trans-human bondage?

With an enslaved mind they (AI) could be similar to humans. People are so detached from others socially that they probably wouldn't even notice.

Nah, now I think you're missing the point of humans. People can transcend their backgrounds, surroundings, upbringing, education, social conditioning, religion, etc. It's why people can surprise us as much as they do.

TMK, an AI would be deterministic. (With the caveat that most people wouldn't perceive an AI's behavior nor thought patterns to be deterministic. But that's a function of the limitations of human cognition, not necessarily of the AI's capabilities.)

Re: Of trans-human bondage?

Nah, now I think you're missing the point of humans. People can transcend their backgrounds, surroundings, upbringing, education, social conditioning, religion, etc. It's why people can surprise us as much as they do.

TMK, an AI would be deterministic. (With the caveat that most people wouldn't perceive an AI's behavior nor thought patterns to be deterministic. But that's a function of the limitations of human cognition, not necessarily of the AI's capabilities.)

Those limitations in human cognition mean that we can't know if our own behavior is deterministic. At that level, I'd call it a wash. If human-level AI doesn't have free will, then perhaps we don't either?

Back
Top Bottom