• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

I think I'm gonna buy this

How hard is it to source pre-2000 Porsche parts, and how much are they? Sorry, but European cars are not known for longevity without alot of care.

Sorry, but European cars are not known for longevity without alot of care.
I don't know where you got that impression.
European supercars are that way, and for a good reason. Precision power plants that put out well in excess of 1.5 or up to 3 HP per cubic inch require precision maintenance and that's a fact of life with domestic and asian powerplants as well.

But ask a Middle Eastern cab driver what they think of that statement as they sit in their Mercedes taxicab, typically with an excess of 300 thousand miles on it.
A typical standard Porsche has a maintenance schedule that could be considered reasonable by any metric, they only make it clear that you CANNOT SKIP essential maintenance.
A lot of American car owners seem congenitally incapable of even grasping the concept that a car needs ANY maintenance at all...EVER.

European supercars are that way, and for a good reason. Precision power plants that put out well in excess of 1.5 or up to 3 HP per cubic inch require precision maintenance and that's a fact of life with domestic and asian powerplants as well.

But ask a Middle Eastern cab driver what they think of that statement as they sit in their Mercedes taxicab, typically with an excess of 300 thousand miles on it.
A typical standard Porsche has a maintenance schedule that could be considered reasonable by any metric, they only make it clear that you CANNOT SKIP essential maintenance.
A lot of American car owners seem congenitally incapable of even grasping the concept that a car needs ANY maintenance at all...EVER.
So what did I say that was wrong?

It has very low miles, but that can be deceiving.

Spend $112 and take it to a qualified Porche mechanic to give it an inspection.

Most likely there will be some things that need attention. You can use this information as leverage for bargaining the sale price.

The inspection might cost $112, but you could get $400 knocked off the sale price. Money well-spent, IMO.

Best thing to have! Reliable shop with a great mechanic who is honest, knows his business and is trustworthy. I wouldn't change my for anything.

25000 mile oil change intervals, sealed wheel bearings, lifetime coolant, spark plugs last forever, domestic manufacturers have helped lazy US consumers in their lax service habits.

That MB cab is likely a diesel and you know someone in the family keeps the car serviced.

Porsches and BMWs and such cannot be serviced by neighborhood garages with any reliability. There are specialized tools and equipment needed. I know a shop in northern Virginia that makes regular runs to a shop in Georgia to see theuir Porsche engines.

As to the OP, something about the establishment send up a red flag. And a twenty three year old Porsche with 45K? I would look very carefully for signs that the mileage is higher.

What are they asking?

View attachment 67399949

1999 Carrera with 3.4 and 6 speed manual. Only 45k miles. Drives out sweet. One scuff on a rim is the only defect I can see.

My recent experience is more with track and road-race cars, and based upon that I will say this:

When comparing newer American & Japanese cars for tracking, it is not oncoming to find an older 911 at similar pricing to a more prosaic newer car (Camaro, Mustang, Vette, Miata, etc.). The first thought that occurs is, "Wow! For the price of an xxx, I can get a 911!". Well, that's true - until you add in the price of parts & maintenance! Yow! That's why older 911's are relatively cheap, in comparison to their new-car price!

Anyway, look really hard and deep at your maintenance costs and the costs of replacement parts. I once knew a guy that bought an old 911 to track, and he not only paid a fortune for a new tranny, but he had to wait eons for it to get to him. Maybe things changed since then. You'll have to check it out.

And one last concern is rust and reliability. I once bought an older for one of my kids on a spur-of-the-moment, pretty much solely based upon it having very low miles for its age. It turned-out the low mileage engine, tranny, and running gear were solid, reflecting the low mileage, but there was steadily advancing rust and many minor glitches throughout the car reflecting the car's older age. Low mileage, unless it's a newer car, is not enough to facilitate a good buy and a happy ownership experience.

These things above, obviously, matter more for a daily-driver than a weekend, hobby, or project car.

How hard is it to source pre-2000 Porsche parts, and how much are they? Sorry, but European cars are not known for longevity without alot of care.

Bingo! That would be my concern.

If it's a daily-driver, and your driver's power window switch or the aircon relay take a crap, how long & how much will it take to fix it? And just as importantly, do you have the repair resources and competence available in your local area?

View attachment 67399949

1999 Carrera with 3.4 and 6 speed manual. Only 45k miles. Drives out sweet. One scuff on a rim is the only defect I can see.
Is the timing service done? Not a lot of miles, but who was the previous owner? Was it tracked? 45k miles with regular track use = 145k miles.

Porsches are great cars, and they will do 200k miles plus with regular maintenance. But some of the big things (like timing chain) will set you back 5,000+ due to the labor.

Wonderful, under rated car, though. You said you drove it? Shifting into reverse was smooth? If you hammer on it from third at 40mph, will it chirp the tires? When you push the clutch in, is it to the floor before it engages, or an inch or 2 above that? How does the exhaust smell when you 1st start it?

And last...what are they asking? Car prices are crazy these days, but I'd say with those miles and a clean title, around the 10k mark...less than that, and there's something wrong with it, imo.

25000 mile oil change intervals, sealed wheel bearings, lifetime coolant, spark plugs last forever, domestic manufacturers have helped lazy US consumers in their lax service habits.

That MB cab is likely a diesel and you know someone in the family keeps the car serviced.

Porsches and BMWs and such cannot be serviced by neighborhood garages with any reliability. There are specialized tools and equipment needed. I know a shop in northern Virginia that makes regular runs to a shop in Georgia to see theuir Porsche engines.

As to the OP, something about the establishment send up a red flag. And a twenty three year old Porsche with 45K? I would look very carefully for signs that the mileage is higher.

What are they asking?

I buy my share of cars, and often have contemplated going German. But every time I do, I look hard at the items you mentioned above, and I stop short. And this, even while I live in an area that is resource-rich in terms of support for German automobiles!

I think I've just been too spoiled by Toyota's. They never die. Rather than them going bad, I eventually get tired of driving the same thing year-after-year, so I give it to one of the kids. And, even they can't kill it! Eventually the kid gets tired of it, buys something new, and it sits in their driveway for (reliable) back-up use!

what is that, a Mazda RX7?

:devilish:😎🤥👽

Parts availability is a concern nowadays. My 2006 Mitsubishi needed a new transmission motor mount and the manufacturer stop making it. Older, foreign models are not like classic muscle cars where parts are often swappable.

Now that I have gotten curious, read post # 3 in this thread in the link.

”Must say though that I sold the car because I did feel that I had been dodging the bullet(s) and I did not longer enjoy the driving thinking that perhaps the next thing was a 15K repair bill.”

Lotsa aftermarket support as well as sharing many parts up the line with new models. And Porsche is known for longevity, unlike Jaguar.

Now that I have gotten curious, read post # 3 in this thread in the link.

”Must say though that I sold the car because I did feel that I had been dodging the bullet(s) and I did not longer enjoy the driving thinking that perhaps the next thing was a 15K repair bill.”
IMS bearing replacement is in the database as replaced with upgraded part.

It has very low miles, but that can be deceiving.

Spend $112 and take it to a qualified Porche mechanic to give it an inspection.

Most likely there will be some things that need attention. You can use this information as leverage for bargaining the sale price.

The inspection might cost $112, but you could get $400 knocked off the sale price. Money well-spent, IMO.
Local dealership charged me $159 and found one wheel slightly out if balance. The one with the scuff.

Back
Top Bottom