• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

I think I just realized why so many people are against SSM

Dragonfly

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
I had an epiphany.

I think the reason why some people are so damned horrified about the acceptance of SSM is that there will be an automatic assumption that when they say they're married, other people will assume they're married to a member of the same sex.

When you say you're married right now, you're automatically deemed straight.

Once SSM becomes accepted that assumption goes away.

I think those anti-ssm people are probably scared crapless people will assume they're gay.

'm I right or am I right?

:2razz::lol::mrgreen::2wave::lamo

I think you're probably right about a lot of them. People who fiercely and vocally oppose homosexuality are often denying their own latent homosexual feelings.

I can just imagine the absolute hatred Navy Pride would feel towards somebody who asked him if he was married, then when he said yes, they asked if it was to a man or a woman.

Oh my.... :lamo:lamo:lamo:lamo:lamo

I think you're probably right about a lot of them. People who fiercely and vocally oppose homosexuality are often denying their own latent homosexual feelings.

Sure, we know of closeted folk that peach the sins of homosexuality, but with exception to those notable examples, I think we ought to be careful with such statements. Now, calling them hopelessly foolish: that's cool.

I'm not opposed to SSM, but I did have to reconcile my position with my religion and that took some time and thought. Sometimes though, some of the most vocal SSM supporters can be such jerks about it, it makes it hard to be on their "side".

I'm not opposed to SSM, but I did have to reconcile my position with my religion and that took some time and thought. Sometimes though, some of the most vocal SSM supporters can be such jerks about it, it makes it hard to be on their "side".

Why exactly did you need to reconcile it? As far as I am concerned, my faith is about my relationship with God and my faith does not require me to control others. If others burn in hell, not really my problem.

So if I say I cant stand Hockey, I am a closet Bruins fan?

So if I say I cant stand Hockey, I am a closet Bruins fan?

You can come out. They lost the Cup series but it was the toughest Stanley Cup finals in a long time.

I Wouldn't say that people who are adamantly anti marriage equality are covering homosexual feelings, but I do believe that they think homosexuality is contagious. The fight against acceptance to them seems to be a fight against the "spread"of homosexuality.

Now if the only reason that sometime isn't gay is because they weren't around gay people, or know about gay people, are they really straight? I don't think you can talk a person into being gay or influence them into homosexuality, if you can that person was never really straight.

I had an epiphany.

I think the reason why some people are so damned horrified about the acceptance of SSM is that there will be an automatic assumption that when they say they're married, other people will assume they're married to a member of the same sex.

I think those anti-ssm people are probably scared crapless people will assume they're gay.

Some people really get offended if you ask them if they are gay. Not sure why, people automatically assume that I am heterosexual, it doesn't offend me. The only thing I can think of is that they are insecure.

I had an epiphany.

I am against it because its a mortal sin against God.

Some people really get offended if you ask them if they are gay. Not sure why, people automatically assume that I am heterosexual, it doesn't offend me. The only thing I can think of is that they are insecure.

Why would you ever ask them that?:Its none of your business.:confused:

Why exactly did you need to reconcile it? As far as I am concerned, my faith is about my relationship with God and my faith does not require me to control others. If others burn in hell, not really my problem.

Whatever happened to "A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"?

Whatever happened to "A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"?

Whatever happened to a lot of the things in the Bible, the Old Testament in particular? You do you and I'll do me.

Whatever happened to a lot of the things in the Bible, the Old Testament in particular? You do you and I'll do me.

Odd that you should mention the OT when the quote is from Jesus.

Odd that you should mention the OT when the quote is from Jesus.

yeah I don't dismiss the OT the way most people do, but that has nothing to do with the thread really.

For those who are married, it starts with they don't want to be associated with same sex marriage in *any* way, and from that yeah, they might start imagining scenes where they get asked "to a man or woman?" or at parent's night they'll run into a gay couple, or since marriage is now useless, their spouse will just up and leave. It's like in their hysteria they think everything will turn upside down on them.

God doesn't give a damn if you're gay or straight.

We may not know the mind of God, or his thoughts, so I can't say whether God cares or not, but I'll bet he cares plenty.

Same exact thing that everyone who is gay and brought up on religion has to go thru. Little wonder that they see opponents as "jerks" then and try to fight back.

As Nietzsche put it: "at times one remains loyal to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid."

But yeah. The inability to tell the difference betweens "believes different things" and "is evil" is strong in that debate.

I had an epiphany.

Possibly true. Although, I think marriage indicates stability more than it does anything else.

Back
Top Bottom