• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

'I still believe in resurrection': Jesse Jackson Jr. gets 2 1/2 years in prison

Midwest Lib

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
'I still believe in resurrection': Jesse Jackson Jr. gets 2 1/2 years in prison - U.S. News

Former Illinois lawmaker Jesse Jackson Jr. was sentenced Wednesday to 30 months in prison after pleading guilty to spending $750,000 in campaign funds on personal items.
He will also face 36 months of probation, 500 hours of community service and continued mental health care.
. . .
Jackson resigned from his seat in the House of Representatives in 2012, citing mental health issues. He pleaded guilty in February to charges of pilfering three-quarters of a million dollars in campaign funds to spend on luxury items, including a $1,500 cashmere cap, according to court documents.
. . .
"You stand here not just because you violated the law, but because you violated the trust of the people of Chicago," Judge Berman Jackson said, according to NBC Chicago.

Great to finally see someone go to jail over CLEARLY fraudulent activity. Seeing this, on either sides, gives me a teeny tiny glimmer of hope that our elected officials may one day be legally liable for their wrongdoings.

Thoughts? And please, try to keep responses focused to this type of crime and the appropriate punishment, NOT which party is causing the problem. (Not even sure why I ask that...I give it til the bottom of the first page to get a hyper-partisan remark)

So a man steals 3/4 of a million dollars and only gets 2 1/2 years in prison?

I'm sure that resurrection has been a great source of his income.

Well, at least he and his wife were convicted and will serve some time. In theory, the Jacksons will decide to find new employment avenues that steer them away from "public service."

Yet some no-name guy in prison for possessing weed gets decades in prison. Yeah, our justice system isn't faulty in the least :roll:

I wonder how many would take that deal. Spend 2 1/2 years in prison and get 750k.

I bet the people caught on that show bait car get more time than that for taking a Honda Accord.

'I still believe in resurrection': Jesse Jackson Jr. gets 2 1/2 years in prison - U.S. News

. . .
. . .

Great to finally see someone go to jail over CLEARLY fraudulent activity. Seeing this, on either sides, gives me a teeny tiny glimmer of hope that our elected officials may one day be legally liable for their wrongdoings.

Thoughts? And please, try to keep responses focused to this type of crime and the appropriate punishment, NOT which party is causing the problem. (Not even sure why I ask that...I give it til the bottom of the first page to get a hyper-partisan remark)

Sounds good to me.

I know... I couldn't believe it.

That kind of behavior deserves at least 10 years if you ask me.

You think that's all he stole?

This clown (along with his father and the rest of their family for that matter) have been living high and large off the taxpayers for the last 20 years (and certainly longer in his fathers case).

30 months is hardly justice...

Back
Top Bottom