• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

"I side with.."

I don't share your views, but I'm interested to see how this plays over the course of the next four months. Darrel Castle appears to have previously withdrawn his candidacy which should be of some concern to his supporters.

If Johnson can poll 30% then I will look really hard at voting for him. If he polls 35% I am polling the trigger because at that point he will have a reasonable shot in a 3 way race to actually pull off a victory. This scenario presumes that Clinton and Trump have similar polling numbers. Otherwise I am stuck with Trump. I have a feeling a lot of people are like you and I, very interested to see how things play out.

2487034308.jpg

Well, that actually matches up well with a political mapping questionnaire posted on this site last fall; it'd rated me half way to libertarian, slightly to the left. (Though I'm still seriously dubious about how it ranks me when the strong majority of my answers involved saying "neither, do this instead...")

Hillary Clinton: 84%

Gary Johnson: 82%

Jill Stein: 81%

Donald Trump: 31%

Darrell Castle: 19%

I'm also dubious because what Hillary thinks changes from poll to poll. I guess it confirms what I was thinking: I don't like her at all as a person, but I'm most comfortable with her compared to the other candidates; more accurately, I'm a bit less uncomfortable with her than with other candidates. But, I cannot vote for Johnson because I have got to vote against Trump.

I suspect part of what divides me so much from the conservatives is that I am vehemently libertarian on social and drug issues, whereas they have to be "family values" and "law and order" respectively. Plus, there's the immigration fanaticism that Trump has managed to stir up.

Last edited:
2487019772.jpg

The problem with these quizzes is that certain issues that you disagree with people on are huge differences/deal breaks.

I don't share your views, but I'm interested to see how this plays over the course of the next four months. Darrel Castle appears to have previously withdrawn his candidacy which should be of some concern to his supporters.

I don't know why they should worry at all, since everyone running other than Trump and Hillary knows full well they are simply engaging in symbolic protest and have zero chance of winning or even affecting the election significantly. Just the facts...

Wow that's impressively left . . .not saying that's anything bad I've just never been in either direction as much as you. Seems that would make ones decisions easier. I usually get at 50/50 to 70/30 split along party lines. But never essentially 90/10. Do you think it makes it easier for you . . .I guess you have no other reference to refer too though.

Ugh..I hit the wrong button and it erased my comment some I'm not re-typing it, but it was as follows: I went through the "compare me to a candidate thing" to tally my votes up, and it seems like I had a lot of answers that were Yes + add personal stance where my personal stance was basically a "yes, but do it completely differently" as compared to the candidate's stance, but which the site scored as agreement with the candidate.

The thing is automated so of course it won't take account of the personal stances. It'll search for openers like "yes" or "no" (which I figured it would). I suppose the best way to read this is that we are generally agreeing with ultimate aims attributed to candidates, but our means are more personal and specific, not factored into the evaluation.

I agree with Hillary Clinton on most issues, but even so I'm still not going to vote for her.

2486511714.jpg

Trump 92%.

Castle/Constitution 88%.
Johnson/libertarian 84%
Hillary 30%
Stein/Green 25%.

Not really surprising. I've said before I agree with many of Trump's expressed policy positions... but with all politicians, one wonders if they will keep to their word. Mostly, not so much.

92% trump? wow thats impressive in ways too but unlike gina you had a 30% for Hilary. Just noticing things that are interesting to "me" that's all. But I agree with your last statement, that's one of the things that bothers me most with trump I don't trust anything he says. Not saying I trust hilary, I don't but most of us are pretty sure what she will do on most issues or at least ball park. With him nobody knows.

I don't know why they should worry at all, since everyone running other than Trump and Hillary knows full well they are simply engaging in symbolic protest and have zero chance of winning or even affecting the election significantly. Just the facts...

I have to part ways with you on this one. We have a ways to go this election with two candidates who quite frankly leave much to be desired. That means things could change and drastically between then and now. I would not give the third parties a zero percent chance just yet. I play the odds and hedge my bets. this way I win even if I lose. If there is a chance the I can vote for a better candidate without Clinton getting in then I want to keep it open. This isn't a typical election there is too much turmoil and things turn on a dime. These be turbulent times as of now.

Wow that's impressively left . . .not saying that's anything bad I've just never been in either direction as much as you. Seems that would make ones decisions easier. I usually get at 50/50 to 70/30 split along party lines. But never essentially 90/10. Do you think it makes it easier for you . . .I guess you have no other reference to refer too though.

I actually have many references. I'm not blindly left leaning. I do evaluate my positions and I used "Add Your Own Stance" for more 3/4 of the questions. I have certain core values. Others have theirs. I'm actually more fiscally conservative than any of those questions would allow me to indicate.

92% trump? wow thats impressive in ways too but unlike gina you had a 30% for Hilary. Just noticing things that are interesting to "me" that's all. But I agree with your last statement, that's one of the things that bothers me most with trump I don't trust anything he says. Not saying I trust hilary, I don't but most of us are pretty sure what she will do on most issues or at least ball park. With him nobody knows.

Well, I decided for myself long ago that no politician can be trusted to keep their word. Having said that, all we can go by is their record, and their words.

The Donald is a big question mark.... lotta unknowns.

Hillary isn't... and that's the problem. We know exactly what she is.

I'll risk Trump's unknowns rather than Hillary's knowns.

Trump, btw, isn't right wing. He's being characterized as such because the left ALWAYS characterizes the Republican candidate as "extreme right wing".

I am not right-wing either. I favor a number of positions more commonly associated with left-center, such as a functional social safety net, a certain amount of market intervention by gov't, and the legalization of most common drugs.

81% Hillary. 60% Trump (2nd to last over the Constitutionalist party candidate).

This quiz is somewhat strange. Over a short period of time the questions change dramatically and there's a wide variance in the number of policy questions contained in each subgrouping.

Well, I decided for myself long ago that no politician can be trusted to keep their word. Having said that, all we can go by is their record, and their words.

Bah!

We do know exactly what Hillary is: in terms of pragmatic policy, she'll compromise based on polls, which is pretty much centrist. She might be a slimeball personally, but so is Trump. Therefore, it's not a basis of decision.

Better than a loose cannon who, at the best, panders to policy positions based on anger and fear rather than reality.

Take the quiz. I must admit, the results can be quite shocking.

Political personalities aside, it's all about how you feel on this policy or that policy. Then it tells you which candidate is the most aligned with your views.

https://www.isidewith.com/elections/2016-presidential-quiz

Then try to tell the truth as to whom it says you mostly align with.

Quite revealing. :shock:

I side with Johnson at 94%, Trump 88%, Castle 84%, Clinton 39%, Stein 37%.

Johnson is the candidate I voted for in 2012 and the one I decided back in December to support this year. I could never ever vote for either Trump or Clinton. I always classified myself as a Goldwater Conservative, more of a traditional conservative with some of Ross Perot thrown in.

Nothing wrong with that, to each their own. For me the unknowns worry me more than Hilary's knowns. Since they are unknowns I can't convince myself it's worth the risk, my mind just won't let me. But again that's just me, nobody else has to agree. And trust me I WANT to support Trump, I WISH I found it easy, I just don't unfortunately and I can't even explain how big a deleimma that is for me. It's so bad for me that I'll abandon my third party vote if I think he has a real shot. Right now I don't think that's the case.

Bah!

We do know exactly what Hillary is: in terms of pragmatic policy, she'll compromise based on polls, which is pretty much centrist. She might be a slimeball personally, but so is Trump. Therefore, it's not a basis of decision.

Better than a loose cannon who, at the best, panders to policy positions based on anger and fear rather than reality.

I stepped into this thread in violation of my own resolve to try to stay out of partisan politics until the election was much closer, and I did make a "partisan" remark and thus left myself open to someone making a counterargument.

However, I really don't want to get caught up in this again at this point. One thing I started to say earlier was, this election is going to be as much about personalities and personal factors as anything policy based... indeed, moreso for most people.

Suffice it to say I have issues with a known felon, being protected by her fellow powerbrokers from prosecution, being made POTUS.... and that what is publically known is just the tip of the iceberg of Clinton corruption.

Having said that, I'm going to go do something more fun than dodging partisan mudflinging.... like washing some dishes perhaps... :D

81% Hillary. 60% Trump (2nd to last over the Constitutionalist party candidate).

This quiz is somewhat strange. Over a short period of time the questions change dramatically and there's a wide variance in the number of policy questions contained in each subgrouping.

Hey there's somebody that's more like me I got an 80 to 66%. I didn't mind the quiz so much but like I said earlier when there's lots of social questions (there were 13) it will pull my results left.

I took the quiz again. This time, I was more careful and specific in my answers, always checking the "other stance" options for something closer to my precise position.

I ended up with:

Gary Johnson 85%

Trump 81%
Castle 77%
Hillary 60%
Stein 37%

I took the quiz again. This time, I was more careful and specific in my answers, always checking the "other stance" options for something closer to my precise position.

I didn't, simply because I can't see how they're going to match anyone with anyone accurately if they can't understand what's being said.

I didn't, simply because I can't see how they're going to match anyone with anyone accurately if they can't understand what's being said.

Anything like this is necessarily an approximation, and a simplification of complex issues. This one is a little better than most, perhaps... at least it allows for more options on the questions.

Anything like this is necessarily an approximation, and a simplification of complex issues. This one is a little better than most, perhaps... at least it allows for more options on the questions.

Yeah, but personally, I'd never use anything else. Maybe I should see what results I get doing nothing but choose your own adventure.

Edit: I did that, went through and answered every single question with "Add your own stance" and the site exploded. I keep getting "We’ll be back shortly...

This server is experiencing extremely high traffic volume right now and cannot process your request. Please bookmark the previous url and revisit in a few minutes."

It's been doing it for a while now. I guess it really doesn't like that. I'll keep trying.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom