• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

I read that the Air Force has already built a six generation fighter

independentusa

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Has anyone heard the same or know anything about this air craft?

Has anyone heard the same or know anything about this air craft?
Will this be a semi-autonomous remotely piloted fighter? I have read the F-35 will be the last generation of fighters with on board pilots.

Will this be a semi-autonomous remotely piloted fighter? I have read the F-35 will be the last generation of fighters with on board pilots.

Not likely. As the USAF would want any future combat aircraft to be nuclear weapons capable (just in case) and regulations (and common sense) prohibit any nuclear armed aircraft from being unmanned.

Not likely. As the USAF would want any future combat aircraft to be nuclear weapons capable (just in case) and regulations (and common sense) prohibit any nuclear armed aircraft from being unmanned.
They would still be remotely piloted by a human that would push the button. The problem is the performance of a fighter plane is limited by having to keep an onboard pilot conscious and even alive. A remote pilot would not be stressed by the g-forces of a fighter under combat conditions.

They would still be remotely piloted by a human that would push the button. The problem is the performance of a fighter plane is limited by having to keep an onboard pilot conscious and even alive. A remote pilot would not be stressed by the g-forces of a fighter under combat conditions.

The amount of G's an aircraft can pull in combat is arguably the most overrated statistic people carp about.

"Optionally manned"

Even then. Turn radius is not that dependent on Gs.

No, but a sudden change in vector is. Which is what you need to dodge an incoming SAM.

Modern SAM’s like those found on the Tor-M1 and the Tunguska have G-ratings somewhere between 15 and 20. Some sources say the Tor can go as high as 30g’s.

Even then. Turn radius is not that dependent on Gs.
How so, do we have new technology that changes Newton's third law of motion?

How so, do we have new technology that changes Newton's third law of motion?

No. But turn radius can be massively influenced by how fast an aircraft is traveling.

"Optionally manned"
That would probably be a very expensive additional requirement. Is this for missions where remote piloting is interfered with or not possible?

No. But turn radius can be massively influenced by how fast an aircraft is traveling.
So you slow down to turn. Doesn't that make you more vulnerable to other threats?

That would probably be a very expensive additional requirement. Is this for missions where remote piloting is interfered with or not possible?

Yes, plus one of the ideas is to have a manned fighter followed by a flight of unmanned fighters that follow the manned fighter’s lead.

Yes, plus one of the ideas is to have a manned fighter followed by a flight of unmanned fighters that follow the manned fighter’s lead.
That is a very interesting idea. I'll search for that. The "wing men" could be controlled with line of sight communications, perhaps a laser.

I am not really expert in the new technologies. However, it seems to me that communications can be blocked or altered making a remotely operated aircraft vulnerable. A pilot can also see and perceive threats and other stimulus that can not be detected with sensors. In addition, any remote operation is reliant on two way transmission, the operator gets a signal, reacts to it, sends a signal back to the craft and the craft complies with that instruction. Depending on the distance involved and if it is a satellite transmission or not, the signal delay can be several seconds. In some cases that delay could spell disaster. I can not believe the brass would allow nukes in a drone.

Aren't ICBM's manned remotely? So why are drones not for nukes?

Aren't ICBM's manned remotely? So why are drones not for nukes?

It is assumed that once an ICBM leaves the silo that it is completely committed to putting its nuclear weapon on target.

Aircraft thought for the most part carry conventional weapons. Thus their POSSIBLE deployment of a nuclear device means such a deployment is completely optional. This means the line between a nuclear and a nonnuclear weapons delivery system is blurred. That "blurring" necessitates more "positive control" throughout the aircrafts flight.

It is assumed that once an ICBM leaves the silo that it is completely committed to putting its nuclear weapon on target.

Aircraft thought for the most part carry conventional weapons. Thus their POSSIBLE deployment of a nuclear device means such a deployment is completely optional. This means the line between a nuclear and a nonnuclear weapons delivery system is blurred. That "blurring" necessitates more "positive control" throughout the aircrafts flight.

ICBM's have a kill switch. B-52's carry a huge compliment of nukes as do submarines. Drones will eventually and definitely carry WMD's. Manned fighters will be phased down over time.

From what I read it could do both.

No big deal. A couple of weeks ago the 1 ton Dodge traveled without a human pilot, and parked completely unscathed right next to the stable. And yes, I was an interested observer concerned that it not miscalculate and attempt to park IN the stable. We're not quite that advanced yet.

Next time, I'll remember to put it in reverse. The parking brake ain't much.

There is no need for a new fighter that just will be outclassed and outmanned by autonomous enemy fighters. They are the future and the AF knows it. Here is Boeings prototype.

Boeing-loyal-wingman.png

Back
Top Bottom