• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

I never expected the Democratic convention to inspire me: former Republican state chair

W_Heisenberg

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
Anti-Trump Republican: Diverse Democratic convention is inspiring to me

Donald Trump is calling them suburban housewives. I am an original anti-Trump Republican. I first articulated my opposition to Donald Trump's destructive and narcissistic nature in 2011, when he was considering a run for president in the 2012 cycle. I decided then that I would never vote for him and I declared my support for Joe Biden months ago. Even so, I was unprepared to be as moved by the nature of the Democratic convention as I have been. With the parameters dictated by COVID restrictions that prevent any large-scale gatherings like party rallies, even political insiders were anticipating that the convention would be, at best, uninteresting. Instead, it has turned out to be some of the most inspirational programming I’ve seen in a very long time. And as a lifelong Republican who has spent much of the past 12 years advancing conservative principles and working to elect Republicans, that’s saying something.

We are living through one of the most divided, uncertain moments in our nation’s history. America’s heart aches from the loss of over 170,000 lives in a pandemic in just five and a half months, racial unrest that has swept across the land, and economic despair, with as many as 30 million Americans unemployed. Under the circumstances, it would have been easy for the Democrats to spend four nights trashing the president with abandon and every Republican in Washington right along with him. It would have been easy for them to give in to the urge to lead with anger and further divide our nation. Instead, they spent the first two nights trying to mend our divide, bringing together the most inclusive, bipartisan coalition in support of Joe Biden that we have ever seen. From the National Anthem on opening night, sung by a diverse choir of singers from every state to last night’s nomination roll call that reflected the true colors of our country, to the broad collection of speakers from every race, gender and both major parties, this convention has lifted our spirits and allowed us to hope that maybe —just maybe — we could have a president who would put the unity and well-being of our nation above himself.

In a moment when Trump is trying to silence dissent and oppress the vote, the DNC gives a voice to America’s diversity. The speakers list includes, among others, several GOP leaders, Latinos, African-Americans, black LGBTQ elected legislators, and dozens of strong women leaders. And 115 Native Americans from 37 different states will participate. It is this diversity of ethnicity, culture and thought that distinguishes this convention, not just from past Democratic events, but from the upcoming GOP convention as well. As the Democrats are expanding their reach and broadening their inclusion, Republicans are doing exactly the opposite. Under Trump, the Republican Party has shrunk and fewer and fewer Americans feel welcome in their ranks, especially minorities and women.

By contrast, women from both sides of the aisle are playing a key role in this convention. On Monday night, Christie Todd Whitman, a former Republican who was New Jersey governor and head of the Environmental Protection Agency in the George W. Bush administration, gave voice to GOP women across the country who want a president who will lead with dignity and empathy. Former First Lady Michelle Obama spoke with elegance and hope about what is possible if America chooses Joe Biden.

And Wednesday, in a momentous occasion, Sen. Kamala Harris, the daughter of Black and Indian immigrants, will become the first woman of color to win the vice presidential nomination of a major party. It is a historic moment for women, for minorities, for our country, and it lights the path for generations of young American women to follow. Donald Trump marked it by calling her “nasty.” In an election where women will make the difference to the outcome, and in a world where women are finally rising to the equal status they long ago earned, Democrats are embracing their leadership, respecting their experience and listening to their voices.

Donald Trump is calling them housewives and trying to scare them with rhetoric about “low income housing” coming to their suburban neighborhoods. I am still a Republican, and I am sure I will continue to advocate for conservative governance in the years ahead. But as I watch the Democratic convention programming, filled with strong accomplished women, I feel drawn to each one of them. When I look at the Democratic production as a whole — an amazing fabric stitched with threads of every color and design — I can’t help but wonder what next week’s GOP convention will look and sound like.

How will Donald Trump’s circus of hate and exclusion compare? The truth is, it can’t.

I agree with all you've said and it can be summed up in one word, 'truth'.

The remote location roll call of delegate votes to nominate Joe Biden was inspiring.

It was a beautiful exemplar of how diverse the Unites States really is.

This is GREAT! Thank you! The last two nights have given me life. Watching Americans of all backgrounds and regions come together to remind us who we are, and what we’re fighting for.

We’re gonna do this. :)

Anti-Trump Republican: Diverse Democratic convention is inspiring to me

Donald Trump is calling them suburban housewives. I am an original anti-Trump Republican. I first articulated my opposition to Donald Trump's destructive and narcissistic nature in 2011, when he was considering a run for president in the 2012 cycle. I decided then that I would never vote for him and I declared my support for Joe Biden months ago. Even so, I was unprepared to be as moved by the nature of the Democratic convention as I have been. With the parameters dictated by COVID restrictions that prevent any large-scale gatherings like party rallies, even political insiders were anticipating that the convention would be, at best, uninteresting. Instead, it has turned out to be some of the most inspirational programming I’ve seen in a very long time. And as a lifelong Republican who has spent much of the past 12 years advancing conservative principles and working to elect Republicans, that’s saying something.

Donald Trump is calling them housewives and trying to scare them with rhetoric about “low income housing” coming to their suburban neighborhoods. I am still a Republican, and I am sure I will continue to advocate for conservative governance in the years ahead. But as I watch the Democratic convention programming, filled with strong accomplished women, I feel drawn to each one of them. When I look at the Democratic production as a whole — an amazing fabric stitched with threads of every color and design — I can’t help but wonder what next week’s GOP convention will look and sound like.

How will Donald Trump’s circus of hate and exclusion compare? The truth is, it can’t.

How can anyone hate someone with dementia? We feel pity for Biden

How can anyone support someone without a clue?

Trump and his comrades have no clue how to fix things. In interviews, they talk more about hopes and wishes to combat the virus than Obama ever did in 08.

I agree with all you've said and it can be summed up in one word, 'truth'.

The problem here is that W_Heisenberg didn't say anything in his OP. It all came from that nonsense article by a woman who "is a co-founder of The Lincoln Project".

This is GREAT! Thank you! The last two nights have given me life. Watching Americans of all backgrounds and regions come together to remind us who we are, and what we’re fighting for.

We’re gonna do this. :)

So tell me, Aunt Antifa, when Trump wins a second term, will you take to the streets and burn, destroy and assault?

(Or, are you already doing that?)

The problem here is that W_Heisenberg didn't say anything in his OP. It all came from that nonsense article by a woman who "is a co-founder of The Lincoln Project".

Doesn't matter. Doesn't make it any less true.

Dang! and I thought W. Heisenberg was articulate, but wrong. Turns out he is a plagiarist and not a very smart one.

yes, "we" feel pity for you. Hope you get help soon from the new Trump health care plan :lamo

So tell me, Aunt Antifa, when Trump wins a second term, will you take to the streets and burn, destroy and assault?
(Or, are you already doing that?)

Trump supporters will do violence after the election whether Trump wins or loses.

How do you rationalize supporting a President who thinks the govt should take away Americans' guns even when the govt lacks the right to take them?

How do you rationalize supporting a President who thinks the govt should take away Americans' guns before any due process, w/o so much as a warrant?

How do you rationalize it?
What's your secret?

Interesting you provide no link to the "article".

I took license with the word 'truth' in W_Heisenberg's last comment. For it is that word, that one single five letter word, that Trump has real issues with. He doesn't understand the meaning of truth, he has never used the truth in his business dealings and he has never spoken the truth to this country. So yes, it can all be summed up in one word, 'truth'. That's what the American people want, that's all we ever wanted.

Dang! and I thought W. Heisenberg was articulate, but wrong. Turns out he is a plagiarist and not a very smart one.

Yeah, how stupid of him to steal an article and link to it at the top of his post. He was this close to pulling it off.

I took license with the word 'truth' in W_Heisenberg's last comment. For it is that word, that one single five letter word, that Trump has real issues with. He doesn't understand the meaning of truth, he has never used the truth in his business dealings and he has never spoken the truth to this country. So yes, it can all be summed up in one word, 'truth'. That's what the American people want, that's all we ever wanted.

Again...that wasn't W_Heisenberg's comment. It came from the article. That was my point in my comment to you.

Look. I don't care if you believe the nonsense from Horn. She's a NeverTrumper. She's a co-founder of the Lincoln Project. She'll say anything...even if she has to lie...to make Trump look bad. You can believe her if you want. But don't give W_Heisenberg credit for saying anything in his OP. He didn't say a thing.

Yeah, how stupid of him to steal an article and link to it at the top of his post. He was this close to pulling it off.

shrug...

At least two forum members thought W_Heisenberg said the stuff in his OP. Are you SURE he wasn't trying to plagerize?

(To be clear, I'm not saying he is.)

shrug...

At least two forum members thought W_Heisenberg said the stuff in his OP. Are you SURE he wasn't trying to plagerize?

(To be clear, I'm not saying he is.)

On today's episode of Mycroft Will Say Anything...

I can't edit the OP, but if some moderator wants to put the article in quotes to reduce confusion that would be super cool.

I can't edit the OP, but if some moderator wants to put the article in quotes to reduce confusion that would be super cool.

You can always use the report function to send a message to the mods.

“All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.”

- Arthur Schopenhauer, Philosopher

On today's episode of Mycroft Will Say Anything...

Never seeen a suckup suck up so hard..... :lamo

You could get that guy to believe ANYTHING, as long as it paints Trump in a positive light.... :2rofll:

Back
Top Bottom