• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

I miss going to a pancake house

I have a host of responses but I will refrain from doing so in this forum.
you should go ahead. being so soft that you can't wear a mask into and out of a building (while soldiers die in foreign conflicts and people struggle to eat in third world hell holes) is laughable.

Newspaper?

Yeah, It's from the old days. about the size of a food tray, but then it unfolds and opens up to the size of two pillow cases sewn together. It's covered in words and advertisements. coupons and funnies. marriage and birth announcements.

One of my favorite recurring articles is A Hundred Years Ago Today....

Man..... there is this place called Moss's in the town over. Would love sit down to couple eggs over hard, country ham, biscuits with grits and red eyed gravy. What I call a real clogger lol..

"country ham"

I grew up on country ham. I used to eat Smithfield, but they've changed. You should check out Edwards. We got a small 5-lb ham, fully cooked, for Christmas and it was the best I've had in years. Slice it thin and eat right away or just a little thicker and fry it. https://www.edwardsvaham.com/category/country-hams

I love going to a mom and pop pancake house, buying a newspaper, getting a cup of coffee.

Two eggs over-well, 4 strips crispy bacon, grits or hash browns, and 3 fluffy hotcakes with butter and real maple syrup.

on a Tuesday. okay, so sometimes I go sausage-gravy and biscuits.
Eugene!

I love that town though, to be honest, I lived in Springfield in accordance with my overwhelming MAGA nature.

I miss those days as well, eating breakfast out, but they appear to be returning soon. Here's to hoping, but not in the Obama manner.

A song in celebration:

Just be sure to substitute Spencer Butte for Solsbury Hill.

Last edited:
I love going to a mom and pop pancake house, buying a newspaper, getting a cup of coffee.

Two eggs over-well, 4 strips crispy bacon, grits or hash browns, and 3 fluffy hotcakes with butter and real maple syrup.

If you're in Oregon, you need to be going to the Original Pancake House.

Can sit at the community table or wait the ungodly wait for a private table.

Place has a line out the door from 45 min before open until 45 min after close.

I have really missed going out to eat this past year. There is something really nice about starting your day with someone waiting on you. I have a lot of favorites for breakfast especially when someone else is fixing it. Steak and eggs, blueberry pancakes, pecan waffles, corned beef hash with dippy eggs on top. Thick sliced French toast that has the consistency of custard inside. Fried mush and grits are always a plus but real maple syrup and butter is a must.

Got my last shot this week so in a few days I plan to make up for lost time.

Feeling this one... My little town has a breakfast joint that is literally one big communal table, with a few two person tables around the periphery - very small little place, but a community hub in this tiny village. Everyone tries for the middle table, talks to each other, stays too long for breakfast, and has a great time. I've missed that a lot....the best stories around that table, and great coffee. I'm looking forward to going back, but I doubt it will be the same.

Totalitarians issued dictatorial edicts that such businesses as restaurants be ordered out of business. This 24/7 bio-terrorism campaign on the propaganda outlets of the super rich (all of the MSM, press and Big Tech internet) has successfully already permanently destroyed over 500,000 American competitor small businesses and a couple million worldwide.

Wanting to go give money to a pancake house is treason against the new corporate-fascist world order.

No one is suppose to deplete any money at restaurants. All their money is to go to Amazon and only stores of international mega billion dollar China-manufacturing based International companies. It is now unAmerican to spend any money unless some to most of it goes to Chinese and their business partners or it goes to the government.

Totalitarians issued dictatorial edicts that such businesses as restaurants be ordered out of business. This 24/7 bio-terrorism campaign on the propaganda outlets of the super rich (all of the MSM, press and Big Tech internet) has successfully already permanently destroyed over 500,000 American competitor small businesses and a couple million worldwide.

Wanting to go give money to a pancake house is treason against the new corporate-fascist world order.

No one is suppose to deplete any money at restaurants. All their money is to go to Amazon and only stores of international mega billion dollar China-manufacturing based International companies. It is now unAmerican to spend any money unless some to most of it goes to Chinese and their business partners or it goes to the government.

BWHAHAHAHAHAHA holy tinfoil hat insanity post batman
u0Yo1ky.jpg

I mostly miss the normalcy of sitting alone, reading the paper, drinking coffee, and having a leisurely breakfast in the middle of the week. I miss the sound of plates clattering, unintelligible chit-chat in the background, the cash register, a crate of glasses rattling as they're set behind the counter, the sun shine pouring through the window....

No hurry. no worry. nowhere to be....

My wife and I went out to eat almost every week last week after over a year of not doing so. Really enjoyed it. We are both vaccinated.
Oh, and restaurant breakfast gravy sucks compared to the gravy my grandfather taught me how to make back when I was a teen.
When going out for breakfast I tend to always order omelets.

I miss going to a pancake house like IHOP, Waffle House, or Bob Evans as well. But, it is a dream. I have lived and worked overseas for the last 20 years. I have gone back to the states only a few times. My first wish off the airplane each time was to go to a great American breakfast place. I got sick every time. Not sure what it is, but I resign myself to memories. It is a dream, best left there. Not sure what it was that being an American living in America got me used to it, but I am convinced the food is killing us....well, you that still live there.

I never stopped eating in pancake restaurants even when they were required to close.
Nothing is ever REALLY locked and restaurants have much better griddles than at home.
One has to think outside the box in the COVID era when one wants pancakes or waffles. 😉

Newspaper?
Around here, there was always a communal newspaper drifting around. You grabbed the section you wanted and then put it back on the counter when you were done. Our restaurants are fully open again, but I'm pretty sure the paper will never come back. The diner doesn't even sell it anymore.

Nothing like a hot cup of coffee and the op ed section to get your spark plugs firing.

Have been to several in the last few months.
My wife is going to an indoor restaurant today with friends. I think that's the first for either of us unless I'm forgetting something.

My wife is going to an indoor restaurant today with friends. I think that's the first for either of us unless I'm forgetting something.
In my area, with a few exceptions, the lockdowns are pretty much over and being vaccinated most of us feel reasonably safe. There are a few places like my favorite sandwich independent shop that still do not allow indoor seating.

They've had indoor seating here for months. I hope that we have a high enough vaccination rate.

Someone brought up sausage gravy?

There is only one place that I have found that is worth the trip. Bob Evans, hands down the best chain restaurant offering. Cracker Barrel’s meat to flour ratio is well off the mark.

Open those two steaming biscuits and crumble them into the gravy........you can feel the arteries closing.....comes with a soup spoon, all they ask is don’t take the glaze off the bowl......🤷
Most of Bob Evans food sucks but they do make a decent breakfast.

My buddy and I meet every Saturday morning for breakfast. Chicken fried steak and eggs, shredded hash browns (crispy), and lots of black coffee.
It's been really good getting together so regularly. Our wives and us have known each other for over 40 years.

Back
Top Bottom