• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

I miss "assumption of the risk"

The problem here is that once he entered the ambulance, the ambulance crew assumes responsibility for the patient.

Yet's, that's called a "duty of care".

What you are not understanding (perhaps because you aren't really reading the posts you are calling wrong) is that assumption of the risk is about situations where a person does a thing, and that thing relieves the people who owed him a duty of care of owing him that duty of care.

We don't agree. Hardly a reason for an epistle from you...time will tell. There will be a lawsuit. I think he'll win a settlement. Ou don't. We're debating opinion, not fact. Good luck with yours.

Part of an EMTs job is to keep their charge safe...even if it's from himself. An EMT is not a Good Samaritan by legal definition.

We don't agree. Hardly a reason for an epistle from you...time will tell. There will be a lawsuit. I think he'll win a settlement. Ou don't. We're debating opinion, not fact. Good luck with yours.

I should have known responding to you was going to be a waste of time.

Then keep that in mind for next time.

It would probably help if you didn't log in to an internet debate site, tell someone that they are wrong (while obviously not fully understanding what they are supposed to be wrong about), then snark at them for bothering to respond on the internet debate site.

Why, a man could get to thinking that you wanted to debate the issue. And we can't have that....

okay.. then you tell me WHEN this "assumption of risk was" applied to people that normally owed a duty to care and would say that they no longer owed a duty of care. Because in almost three decades of being involved in healthcare.. I have never seen it applied the way you state it was.

the man was in the care of medical personnel. It was DUE to his medical condition that he jumped out.

Well, you would respond that way if you did not read what I said before telling me that I was wrong. I mean, this is right on the first page:

Yeah. I'd like to largely see a reversal to early-20th C civil cases on this front.

And when is early-20th C? Well outside the last 30 years. I never claimed what the result should be under the law as it now stands. The only objections thus far seem to be from people who wanted to jab at me more than they wanted to make sense.

I have said, about five times now, that I am describing what I would prefer the law to reflect using reference to the way the law used to be. I specified time periods.

It is pretty stupid and ridiculous that multiple people have told me that I'm wrong before they bothered reading what they were going to call wrong. That's especially true when I made clear that I'm talking about what I think the law should be, not what it is in fact right now.

Last edited:
Part of an EMTs job is to keep their charge safe...even if it's from himself. An EMT is not a Good Samaritan by legal definition.

That's exactly what I'm saying. These are medical professionals and they have a responsibility to the people that they are caring for. To simple think that we should ignore that aspect of this story is only looking at it from one side.

There is a divider between the drivers compartment and the back.

I wouldn't think the driver even knew what was happening and even if he did, I doubt he could have reacted in time.

There is a divider between the drivers compartment and the back.

I wouldn't think the driver even knew what was happening and even if he did, I doubt he could have reacted in time.

That would be for a jury to decide. They would have more facts . Where as all we have is a badly written article in which no attempt to stop the van was made or even slow it down.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…