• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

I might be joining the Army

geez...see stuff like that, I don't know if I could handle not seeing my daughter grow up.

I wouldn't reccomend the army then. Are you married?

Go coast guard, or get a tech job in the AF where you won't be deployed and gone as much. :shrug:

I understand entirely. I got out because My wife and I were ready to start a family and I didn't want to put them through what Ive seen my buddies have to go through with regular year long plus deployments.

I went one further. No marriage, no kids until I was honorably discharged. I had a whole lot of boning to do back then. :mrgreen:

This is all very true, but the Navy and I'm sorry to offend anyone in here is for ******s and have no real bonuses. The army and marines do. My cousin is in the navy, it might as well be a ****ing carnival cruise. The airforce, well I just am not suited for them.

Dont take this personally..but based on what i have seen from your comments (and granted...I really know nothing about you)...but you arent 'well suited' for any of the services.

So what can anyone tell me about it? I have a lot of questions just not sure which ones I could ask here...

The best advice I can give is try out what you always wanted to try but keep the enlistment short like 3 years. Three years is plenty of time to be stationed in a couple of different duty stations. This will give you enough time to decide if you want to keep your MOS and make that your career or try another MOS in the Army to see if you would like to make that a career or just get out when your contract expires. You should also be aware that you will do work outside your MOS on occasions and that the army does treat different MOSs different from other MOSs.

Some MOSs can only be stationed at certian army posts, so you may want to take this into consideration if you want try to be stationed somewhere overseas, somewhere in the US or maybe somewhere near your hometown. So it should not be all about trying to get a bonus. Besides that the army does not give you your bonus all at once and you will not get it until some time after you are at your duty station. You should also keep copies of all your paper work.

If you do not like other people telling you what you can and can't do,don't like long or even unpredictable work hours, prone to quitting, have an attitude problem when someone with authority speaks to you or you like doing your own thing then the military is not for you.

Last edited:
That's dog **** pay. Even with the benefits. And you more than earn every penny. Remember in the military there's no overtime pay and you're at work until the work is done.
14 hour plus days are common place. Plus PT, range, PME, etc etc.

What about the privilege of getting to serve your country? You don't think that is a benefit? I am sure that most who join the military do it for that very reason.

Dont take this personally..but based on what i have seen from your comments (and granted...I really know nothing about you)...but you arent 'well suited' for any of the services.

Like I said, I've done some super hard **** that was probably normal for younger folks 20-30 years ago but nowadays a lot of people my age are "to good" to do it. I have a friend in the army--before he went he said he would never join, was fatter than me, was a emo/rocker kid, always drank, did acid, smoked pot 24/7 lost touch with him because of him getting into doing hardcore drugs, then 2 years later found out he was in the army and doing fine. I would have said before there is no way in hell this guy could get into the army but well it happened.

It is hard to explain, but I want to serve my country, things I read about the army excite me, and not the pamplet bull**** but how hard it is. The chance to finally create a foundation for myself and my new family. I'm a gluten for punishment. If I am forced to do something hard, I will do my best to do it. I've had a lot of false starts in my short life, and done stuff that most people would never even imagine to get a chance to do but I think the army would help me realize these oppurtunities not just for a short while but for a lifetime.

Plus, I can't imagine how much ****ing me and my girl will get done when we actually do see eachother. It would be awesome.

The best advice I can give is try out what you always wanted to try but keep the enlistment short like 3 years. Three years is plenty of time to be stationed in a couple of different duty stations. This will give you enough time to decide if you want to keep your MOS and make that your career or try another MOS in the Army to see if you would like to make that a career or just get out when your contract expires. You should also be aware that you will do work outside your MOS on occasions and that the army does treat different MOSs different from other MOSs.

Some MOSs can only be stationed at certian army posts, so you may want to take this into consideration if you want try to be stationed somewhere overseas, somewhere in the US or maybe somewhere near your hometown. So it should not be all about trying to get a bonus. Besides that the army does not give you your bonus all at once and you will not get it until some time after you are at your duty station. You should also keep copies of all your paper work.

If you do not like other people telling you what you can and can't do,don't like long or even unpredictable work hours, prone to quitting, have an attitude problem when someone with authority speaks to you or you like doing your own thing then the military is not for you.

See the last bit you told me is something that makes me weary, but I am hoping it is a habit this will help me break. I knew plenty of guys that went into the army that not only did they have an attitude problem but they were largely useless most of the time. Me, I have an attitude problem but it is something I am getting help for right now (anger management) and something I have another few months to try and work on.

See the last bit you told me is something that makes me weary, but I am hoping it is a habit this will help me break. I knew plenty of guys that went into the army that not only did they have an attitude problem but they were largely useless most of the time. Me, I have an attitude problem but it is something I am getting help for right now (anger management) and something I have another few months to try and work on.

Disrespecting a senior officer is a big deal in the military and unlike a civilian job they will not fire you or let you quit. Instead they will slap you with a article 15, which means reduction of rank, extra duty, and loss of some of your pay for a certian amount of time(although I have heard rumors that if your pay is tied up in allotments then they can't touch it, this is merely a rumor I heard so I do not know if it is true). Although I think that stuff is at the discretion of your senior officers so they may just let you off with a heavy smoking and some sort of **** detail(extra work duty). I have heard rumors of a soldier getting a article 15 for rolling his eyes at his platoon sergeant or sqad leader/

Last edited:
Like I said, I've done some super hard **** that was probably normal for younger folks 20-30 years ago but nowadays a lot of people my age are "to good" to do it. I have a friend in the army--before he went he said he would never join, was fatter than me, was a emo/rocker kid, always drank, did acid, smoked pot 24/7 lost touch with him because of him getting into doing hardcore drugs, then 2 years later found out he was in the army and doing fine. I would have said before there is no way in hell this guy could get into the army but well it happened.

It is hard to explain, but I want to serve my country, things I read about the army excite me, and not the pamplet bull**** but how hard it is. The chance to finally create a foundation for myself and my new family. I'm a gluten for punishment. If I am forced to do something hard, I will do my best to do it. I've had a lot of false starts in my short life, and done stuff that most people would never even imagine to get a chance to do but I think the army would help me realize these oppurtunities not just for a short while but for a lifetime.

Plus, I can't imagine how much ****ing me and my girl will get done when we actually do see eachother. It would be awesome.

Wanna be hard huh?

Go Airborne Infantry, start there, then move into other stuff as you see fit.
Its alot easier to get Airborne guaranteed when you first sign up than it is to get it after you are already in.

Wanna be hard huh?

Its alot easier to get Airborne guaranteed when you first sign up than it is to get it after you are already in.

Airborne is something Ithought about.

Also ok so if the drill sgt is in my face yelling some **** that is funny and I crack a smile am I ****ed with this article 15 **** or will he just punish me somehow? I dunno I just forsee myself cracking up because of my strange sense of humor....

Also ok so if the drill sgt is in my face yelling some **** that is funny and I crack a smile am I ****ed with this article 15 **** or will he just punish me somehow? I dunno I just forsee myself cracking up because of my strange sense of humor....

Hopefully you'll learn when you see others punished for making the same stupid-ass mistake. It may be as simple as "drop & give me 50".

No, that is his purpose.
They try to harden you by making sure your not either scared or amused by this act. So if you crack up, he will just make you do alot of pushups and other **** that ends up being good for you down the road.

If you make it through Basic Traning WITHOUT having to do punitive physical exercise, you did something terribly wrong.

Wanna be hard huh?

Screw that, he should tell them that he wants to go to ranger school.:mrgreen:

Strong recommendation? Bury political ideation before you actually sign anything. The fore and again hard mentality is not just physical and there is a reason why they send you to bootcamp. Whining and complaining about things you dont agree with doesnt work well in the military. My son had to learn that lesson as well. You join...embarace it as your life until you get out. Things dont 'suuuck' they SUCK! and you LOVE how it sucks!!! and you wish it would suck some MORE!!! You dont bitch about your CiC. You dont let anyone that works for you ever hear you muttering the first complaint about **** because you lose credibility and you come across as a whiny goldbrick. You embrace it...you do your job. Then you get out. You are green from the moment you walk out the door in the morning til the moment you get back home. Family doesnt go to work...and you dont take work back to your family. Just...food for thought.

No, that is his purpose.
They try to harden you by making sure your not either scared or amused by this act. So if you crack up, he will just make you do alot of pushups and other **** that ends up being good for you down the road.

If you make it through Basic Traning WITHOUT having to do punitive physical exercise, you did something terribly wrong.

This is what I keep hearing that they design it so you **** up a lot but you shouldn't take it personal, they are supposed to **** with your mind.

Strong recommendation? Bury political ideation before you actually sign anything. The fore and again hard mentality is not just physical and there is a reason why they send you to bootcamp. Whining and complaining about things you dont agree with doesnt work well in the military. My son had to learn that lesson as well. You join...embarace it as your life until you get out. Things dont 'suuuck' they SUCK! and you LOVE how it sucks!!! and you wish it would suck some MORE!!! You dont bitch about your CiC. You dont let anyone that works for you ever hear you muttering the first complaint about **** because you lose credibility and you come across as a whiny goldbrick. You embrace it...you do your job. Then you get out. You are green from the moment you walk out the door in the morning til the moment you get back home. Family doesnt go to work...and you dont take work back to your family. Just...food for thought.

I've had so much ****ed up **** happen in my life I invite things that suck to happen. When they do I laugh, and fix the problem. I guess in the army you can't laugh in the army about ****ed up **** happening but I read that they will wake you up in the middle of the night to do excercises I find that to be hilarious. Like I said, bring it on let them break me I hope they do.

I've had so much ****ed up **** happen in my life I invite things that suck to happen. When they do I laugh, and fix the problem. I guess in the army you can't laugh in the army about ****ed up **** happening but I read that they will wake you up in the middle of the night to do excercises I find that to be hilarious. Like I said, bring it on let them break me I hope they do.

Well...good luck with that.

Just out of curiosity...if it werent for the unemployment, would you still be considering joining?

No, you have not. You think you have, but super-hard is relative, and compared to what an average person in the service does in an average year, you ain't done nothing. You are setting yourself up for a world of pain and misery if you go in with the attitude you are showing now.

OK...but...damn...thats cold...

Screw that, he should tell them that he wants to go to ranger school.:mrgreen:

Going ranger at the start is akin to someone joining a police department and becoming a detective immediately. Personally I think its something you should have some experience in the Army with before you go.

Well...good luck with that.

Just out of curiosity...if it werent for the unemployment, would you still be considering joining?

Yes I would be. I actually am starting a job Monday that pays decent for my area, and they let people volunteer to work 12 hours a day 7 days a week. I have several reasons I want to join.

The biggest reasons I didn't join before besides I was in college and didn't understand how it worked? I'm scared of my mom. She doesn't really seem to care as much nowadays, and understands the reasons why I want to go.

Back
Top Bottom