• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

I might be joining the Army

Well really, you just have to meet my cousin he's a little bitch. I think he is a nuclear technician or something? Not sure about his living conditions. He has been on the carrier for a few months just sitting around Seattle, WA. Last I checked he was supposed to be deploying somewhere but they delayed it. His last Facebook entry from about 4 days ago said "been playing Starcraft 2 it's like crack." so I'm sure he is having a pretty hard time...

Well really, you just have to meet my cousin he's a little bitch. I think he is a nuclear technician or something? Not sure about his living conditions. He has been on the carrier for a few months just sitting around Seattle, WA. Last I checked he was supposed to be deploying somewhere but they delayed it. His last Facebook entry from about 4 days ago said "been playing Starcraft 2 it's like crack." so I'm sure he is having a pretty hard time...

Sounds like your cousin has got a sweet deal!

Oh here is another question which I'm sure is best suited towards the recruiter but how does housing and food allowance work? Say I am in Kuwait or Afghanistan could my wife still get the housing allowance or what?

It's a package you and your family will apply for, they'll figure out your situation in boot camp and get you started on the paperwork (actually, your recruiter will probably get you started). They will get an allowance whether or not you're deployed. They'll get insurance coverage via DEERS and housing benefits are allotted by location... so this will depend on whether or not you're renting base housing, rank, etc...and/or other personal circumstances. Definitely ask your recruiter, but you can also look here to get some idea beforehand and come up with specific questions.

When I was in, I had some guys under me who were married and some with kids and I had to deal some with these systems in that sense, but I didn't personally have to for myself. I do know that your family will recieve allowances unavailable to those without families though, even when you aren't deployed.

Good luck, and I wish you well. Personally, I say you should go infantry, but I'm biased in that respect. Infantrymen have access to clearances too (I got a TS)...but pick a job you want--just remember that in the infantry or some other combat MOS your training will be your work, whereas in other areas the training will be aside from job-specific MOS training (so less shooting/weapons qualifications, less PT, and less MOUT, etc). Depends on what you want to get out of it. My advice is, regardless of MOS, to go to any and every school you have the ability to from the get-go, the Army has lots of money to throw around.

Also, concerning the bonuses... Note: I'm speaking from the marines perspective but I'm pretty sure the system is practically the same (just different in the amounts offered)... You can get a sign-on bonus initially from your recruiter, and also reenlistment bonuses down the road, both are based on MOS and rank attained-- ie. the Army will give more money to take a job in areas where they need people. In this case, the bonuses for Infantry are usually more substantial for obvious reasons. Also, here, I have to say that I didn't get a sign-on bonus because I joined before the operations in Iraq had began although I was offered over 38 grand to reenlist in 2007 as an E5 in the Infantry. Also, if you do decide to reenlist, do it in a place like Kuwait, if you can, 'cause it'll be tax-free (but you'll know all about this after 4 years).

Last edited:
Oh, and you mentioned education benifits... The new Post 9-11 GI bill will pretty much cover college tuition to get your 4 year degree if you're a full-time student-- a very substantial benefit that they recently bolstered. Previously they offered up to 20 or 50 grand depending on package, now they essentially cover costs similar to the way they calculate BAH-- so it's by the location of the college. Basically, as long as you're not going to a pricey private insitution you'll be set. I go full-time to a public university in Virginia, and recently updated to the Post 9-11, and now my tuition is covered.

So like if her and the baby were in a house that cost $600 a month to rent in Kentucky, while I was somewhere else in the world or at a fort training she would be covered? Also I talked to the recruiter a little today. I already owe about $20k in student loans and said something about paying it off with that but that there is some kind of loan repayment program to so I could do that and use the GI Bill or something?

I think I asked this question before, but what do they let you "keep" other than your uniform, like say...a gun at all?

Jesus christ the DoD says I would get $1023. That doesn't sound right...do they just dole this money out or what?

So like if her and the baby were in a house that cost $600 a month to rent in Kentucky, while I was somewhere else in the world or at a fort training she would be covered? Also I talked to the recruiter a little today. I already owe about $20k in student loans and said something about paying it off with that but that there is some kind of loan repayment program to so I could do that and use the GI Bill or something?

I told you everything I can be sure about concerning dependents--like I said, I didn't have any--so I can't tell you much more. I know that if you make it known that you have dependents, they will receive allowances such as BAH and DEERS, and they will get military IDs so they can go on base, shop at the PX, and receive other benifits in general--regardless of your deployment status.

Aside from your recruiter, check with the local VFW or other veteran's organization and they can probably point you to councilors who can give you specific information as well.

I think I asked this question before, but what do they let you "keep" other than your uniform, like say...a gun at all?

If you want to keep a personal weapon on base with you, it will have to be registered with the MPs and kept in the Armory. You will recieve a "weapon's card" to take it out just like you will with the weapons you are issued. I have guns--many, in fact--but I never brought them with me throughout my time in the military, I just left them at home (I wouldn't turn my personal weapons over to the Armorers). If you live in off-base housing, I'm pretty sure you simply have to comply with the laws of the community or state.

Don't expect to bring personal weapons into combat, or even on deployment-- not gonna happen. well, except for knives.

Last edited:
So what can anyone tell me about it? I have a lot of questions just not sure which ones I could ask here...

Your first move is to think about an MOS.

So like if her and the baby were in a house that cost $600 a month to rent in Kentucky, while I was somewhere else in the world or at a fort training she would be covered?

I got out 10 years ago, but speaking from my own experience you get a basic allowance for quarters per your rank. It may cover your existing cost, it may not. But, I don't know how that applies to trainees.

Also I talked to the recruiter a little today. I already owe about $20k in student loans and said something about paying it off with that but that there is some kind of loan repayment program to so I could do that and use the GI Bill or something?

From what I understand, there's a debt forgiveness plan that the military offers with an enlistment. I don't know what your commitment would be versus your debt, though.

In basic training, you're allowed to keep your personal hygene items, aside from what the Army issues to you. In advanced individual training, you're allowed some civilian items. In training, you can't have a personal weapon. When you go to your permanent party unit, you will be authorized to keep personal weapons on post, in the arms room and registered with the provost marshall and your unit armorer. The neatest thing about that, is that you will be able to gain access to the firing ranges.

Again, that was 10 years ago. how much of that has changed? I dunno.

Jesus christ the DoD says I would get $1023. That doesn't sound right...do they just dole this money out or what?

Well, it's a bureaucracy.

Sometimes they give too much--but a lot of the time you'll probably get the shaft, I'm not gonna lie.

But in all seriousness, I don't know your situation or what you need to support your family and whatnot, but in general in areas where living expenses are either considered to be fairly low or fairly high (ie. the extremes of the spectrum), I hear BAH can pretty generous. But its always case by case, so you have to check it out for your self and throw lots of questions at your recruiter.

Here is the proposed 2011 pay chart. E1 with under 2 years is 1475 a month, which does not sound bad till you realize that is under 18k a year pay. 2011 Military Pay Chart (Proposed 1.9%)

BAH(it's what aspdt was referring to in "Basic allowance for quarters"...they renamed it since we got out) rates here: http://www.defensetravel.dod.mil/pdc-archive/bah/acrobat/2010/FINAL%202010%20%27Without%27%20Dependents%20BAH%20Rates.pdf

Basic Allowance for Subsistence(what we called ComRats when I was in) is $323.87 each month, and is so you can buy food. Selective Re-Enlistment Bonuses(if you re-enlist in an MoS that has one) range from 45k to 90k.

Hope this info helps.

But when you add on all the "perks", i.e. room & board, free medical and dental - right? There's a lot of benefits (which escape me since it's been 30-odd years).

Here is the proposed 2011 pay chart. E1 with under 2 years is 1475 a month, which does not sound bad till you realize that is under 18k a year pay. 2011 Military Pay Chart (Proposed 1.9%)

BAH(it's what aspdt was referring to in "Basic allowance for quarters"...they renamed it since we got out) rates here: http://www.defensetravel.dod.mil/pdc-archive/bah/acrobat/2010/FINAL%202010%20%27Without%27%20Dependents%20BAH%20Rates.pdf

Basic Allowance for Subsistence(what we called ComRats when I was in) is $323.87 each month, and is so you can buy food. Selective Re-Enlistment Bonuses(if you re-enlist in an MoS that has one) range from 45k to 90k.

Hope this info helps.

That's dog **** pay. Even with the benefits. And you more than earn every penny. Remember in the military there's no overtime pay and you're at work until the work is done.
14 hour plus days are common place. Plus PT, range, PME, etc etc.

Last edited:
Oh here is another question which I'm sure is best suited towards the recruiter but how does housing and food allowance work? Say I am in Kuwait or Afghanistan could my wife still get the housing allowance or what?

Yes.
If you are married and they don't place you on post (which they hardly ever do) you just fill out a form and get BAH and BAS allowances. BAH is a predetermined amount of money depending on the area around the base you are stationed at, and BAS last I remember was a set amount per month you get for food. The BAS won't add up to how much you really eat, but its better than nothing.

You keep all of your combat gear EXCEPT your rifle. That is stored in the arms room, which is essentially a huge very secure vault. But stuff like helmet, rucksack, any load bearing equipment, etc. As far as the housing question, where you get permenantly assigned outside of training your family moves to. And you get your BAH regardless of where they send you temporarily. So yes, when you are deployed you get the housing and food money for your family. When I was deployed to Iraq, My wife got the housing and food money while I was gone, as well as family seperation pay, hazardous duty pay, etc.

That sucks. I dunno, just anyone I know in the Navy has had a pretty sweet deal thus far. I don't really mean they are ******s, just that they seem to me to have it much easier than the rest of the military other than the air force and the seals...I think my cousin is on the USS Abraham Lincoln?

My guy spent 6 years on a nuclear sub, which meant spending, essentially, 6 months out of every year underwater. My brother did it for 10 years (also a nuke). No, Navy folks are NOT ******s.

@Johnny that is just housing allowance in my area according to the DoD. An average 3 bedroom house around here is $600 a month very cheap. It more than covers it

@Catz maybe not them but my cousin for sure is. Trust me on this one.

So the biggest thing about me joining is this, I want to join for my daughter but then I don't want to join for my daughter...if that makes any sense. What is the very bare min you can go home a year?

@Johnny that is just housing allowance in my area according to the DoD. An average 3 bedroom house around here is $600 a month very cheap. It more than covers it

@Catz maybe not them but my cousin for sure is. Trust me on this one.

So the biggest thing about me joining is this, I want to join for my daughter but then I don't want to join for my daughter...if that makes any sense. What is the very bare min you can go home a year?

It depends on way too many factors. In 6 years, I was undeployed or detached anywhere from 3 months to 11.

geez...see stuff like that, I don't know if I could handle not seeing my daughter grow up.

geez...see stuff like that, I don't know if I could handle not seeing my daughter grow up.

It's a real challenge. I was stationed at Cecil Fields(Jacksonville) Fla, my squadron deployed on the Eisenhower out of Norfolk. When we got back from deployment, we would bus to the air terminal at Norfolk and fly to Cecil. Second cruise, we got off the airplane with 3 guys in the lead, each with babies they had never seen yet except in pictures. Not one of us got up to get of the plane till they where in the front.

It's very hard on the spouses and kids as well. The worry and stress can build up a ton. However, their are absolutely great support groups for military spouses and children, who do a ton to help. People found that their spouses had gotten very close to the other spouses while they where gone as they helped emotionally support each other.

See and another thing..I never had a good relationship with my father and he was in the army, and I don't know to many people that have had kids that have good relationships with them. Like I said, I do this for her, but at the same time I don't want to do it for her.

I understand entirely. I got out because My wife and I were ready to start a family and I didn't want to put them through what Ive seen my buddies have to go through with regular year long plus deployments.

If you're in a unit that deploys a lot it kind of sucks having a family but overall married folks have it damn good in the military.

See and another thing..I never had a good relationship with my father and he was in the army, and I don't know to many people that have had kids that have good relationships with them. Like I said, I do this for her, but at the same time I don't want to do it for her.

Like I said, don't. I'm not trying to be a jerk or make some anti-military point here, just saying. I had a cousin who joined the Army after Vietnam, got a technical education, and landed a sweet job afterwards doing work that he really loves doing. That's great if those are the times you're living in and you don't have a family yet. The way things are today, and in your situation, not so much. You're buying into a cluster**** that will only get worse in the likely event that we expand the war in the near future. FWIW, I say exhaust all other options first.

No. It isn't lol. I can go into great detail about what you have to do while cutting tobacco. At least not phyiscally. Mentally oh yeah I'm sure it beats the hell out of you. Being a country boy I've done a lot more hard **** than most people would even imagine to ever do.

With that kind of attitude, you should ROCK the army.... :lamo

I have been going to military.com here lately and following their PFT regime for preparation to see if I could get my first badge being the PFT badge. I've been told since I have some college I can advance far quicker, and could elect to go to school to become a Lt. within 6 years.

:lamo

Here is my main question atm, how do they figure out sign-on bonuses and how are they given to you? Do you get like a percentage to start out with and then a little bit more every year or what?

Usually by MOS, you pick something they are short of, they offer a bonus....

You should pick an MOS you WANT to do and get that in writing before signing.

Also can I keep my sidearm?[/QUOTE]

Back
Top Bottom