• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

I love Andrea Gibson

BDBoop

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other

She's so insanely talented. I don't know how anybody can see or hear her and think that being queer is a choice.

She's so insanely talented. I don't know how anybody can see or hear her and think that being queer is a choice.

Well, this one rates as the strangest post I've read so far. What does her talent have to do with thinking that being homosexual is or is not a choice?

Well, this one rates as the strangest post I've read so far. What does her talent have to do with thinking that being homosexual is or is not a choice?

Because to see her talent, you have to see her. And she is who she is. It is quite obvious that she is a lesbian.

Maybe I chose bad video, since you can't actually see her.

You've yet to show how her 'talent' is related to whether or not homosexuality is a choice.

You've yet to show how her 'talent' is related to whether or not homosexuality is a choice.

Okay, stick a paragraph in there, or whatever other grammar helps you see that - oh wait. 'Talent' set off like that generally means that you disagree with me perceiving what she does as talent?

So it's a double-whammy on her. She's queer 'by choice', and watching her videos - you did watch, yeah? led you to believe she's not talented.

How am I doing?

From Wikipedia:

A four-time Denver Grand Slam Champion, Gibson finished fourth at the 2004 National Poetry Slam, and she finished third at both the 2006 and 2007 Individual World Poetry Slam.[2][3] In 2008, Gibson became the first poet ever to win the Women of the World Poetry Slam (WOWps) in Detroit.

I do not feel any more queer.

Okay, stick a paragraph in there, or whatever other grammar helps you see that - oh wait. 'Talent' set off like that generally means that you disagree with me perceiving what she does as talent?

So it's a double-whammy on her. She's queer 'by choice', and watching her videos - you did watch, yeah? led you to believe she's not talented.

How am I doing?

You're hitting about 50/50 so far.

I don't believe she's all that talented (yes, I watched the first video, I had no interest in watching the second after watching the first). Then again, I've never liked poetry, so I'm probably not very equipped to judge whether or not she's talented in that field. Regardless, you're about right on that part.

On the other half of your statement, you're way off. First off, I agree with you that being homosexual is not a choice for most people. You're either born that way, or you're not. However, what you're presenting here does absolutely dick to support that argument. What does her ability to read/write poetry have to do with being gay. Heck, from those videos, you can't even tell if she's gay or not. She might be, but then again maybe she's just an emo chick who likes to wear men's clothes. I'm not arguing with you whether she is or isn't a lesbian of course, I'm just saying that the videos you posted don't allow us to determine whether she is or is not.

Finally, assuming she IS a lesbian and IS in fact talented, you need to explain exactly how 2 videos of a lesbian woman reading some poetry she wrote proves that she did not choose to be a lesbian, but was instead born that way.

I'm not arguing with your message, but the way you're trying to support it is crap.

447px-Your_argument_is_invalid.jpg

you need to explain exactly how 2 videos of a lesbian woman reading some poetry she wrote proves that she did not choose to be a lesbian, but was instead born that way. .

You would have to listen to the second one - or let me grab the lyrics if you can't bear to watch. I never liked poetry either, but slam poetry just grabbed me, and she's the reason why.

Edited because she says it in her poetry. She knew as a child that she was queer. Called herself Andrew, referred to her birthday boy party, etc.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom