• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

I lied to the census worker

MyOwnDrum

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
The census worker came by this evening. I marked that we are Hispanic, and I marked that we are Black. The census worker sells quarters of grass fed beef, so I got her email. She didn't care that I BS'd, I think she distrusts the government too.

Hah!:mrgreen:

I had a kind of funny experience with the census issue. I got my census form a couple of months ago, and put it in my desk- then forgot about it. Then a couple of weeks ago, I was going through the desk, and found it, so I decided I should send it in, since it was several weeks late already.;) Anyway, I answered the first question, then sealed it in the envelope, got in my car to run into town to mail it, and when I was about to back out of the drive, an unexpected car pulled in behind me. The census worker!:) I told her I was just about to run to town to mail it, and it would be so sweet of her to just take it for me.:mrgreen: Her response was "Oh, you already sealed it and everything", with a puzzled look. I just smiled and said yes, and she went on her merry way.

It seems that the most important question on the census is 'Are you Hispanic?' and 'Otherwise, what is your race?'.

Our culture and government are circling the drain...

The census worker came by this evening. I marked that we are Hispanic, and I marked that we are Black. The census worker sells quarters of grass fed beef, so I got her email. She didn't care that I BS'd, I think she distrusts the government too.

the census worker made an offer of beef available for sale while conducting the census business?
that would be an obvious violation of the standard of ethics

Darn! I forgot to answer the most important question!:mrgreen:

the census worker made an offer of beef available for sale while conducting the census business?
that would be an obvious violation of the standard of ethics

I invited her in, I asked her about herself, I told her I was interested in her beef. She stated that it was forbidden, I stated that I didn't care, she gave me her contact info, we were on the same page...

Last edited:
Darn! I forgot to answer the most important question!:mrgreen:

You didn't answer that you were 3-5% Neanderthal blood?

You're a rebel and you'll never ever be any good.

On a more practical note, think of how confusing this is all going to be to your descendants.
When they try to do their genealogy a hundred years from now and dig up those census records on Ancestry.com, they're going to be like, "Holy crap! We're black!"

I really do not understand why people lie on this thing and you probably screwed your town getting funds due to lying. Nice job there.

My father answered the door when the census worker knocked. He did as he has always done. He tells them rather rudely that he won't be filling anything out for them and they need to get off his property (I'm putting it politly). He has done this every census year and each and everytime they have left not to return. I worry that one day it may get him into trouble. On the brite side hes never had to fill out a census form.

My father answered the door when the census worker knocked. He did as he has always done. He tells them rather rudely that he won't be filling anything out for them and they need to get off his property (I'm putting it politly). He has done this every census year and each and everytime they have left not to return. I worry that one day it may get him into trouble. On the brite side hes never had to fill out a census form.

Yeah. It's SO exhausting and time consuming to check 10 little boxes on a form, and stick it in an envelope. The good news for the rest of us is, your father is screwing himself and his community, and no one else, by refusing to complete the census.

See, federal funding and assistance to states/counties is based on population demographics. So is representation in Congress. By not being counted, your dad and his community just lost a bit of the $400 Billion in funding that they might otherwise get, and another potential vote in Congress.

Good job. :thumbs:

Oh, one other thing... Answering the census is required by law. There is a $5000 fine for refusing to complete the census, and another fine of $500 for lying on the census form. Those laws haven't been enforced, but given how cash strapped the government is right now....

:doh

Last edited:
Yeah. It's SO exhausting and time consuming to check 10 little boxes on a form, and stick it in an envelope. The good news for the rest of us is, your father is screwing himself and his community, and no one else, by refusing to complete the census.

See, federal funding and assistance to states/counties is based on population demographics. So is representation in Congress. By not being counted, your dad and his community just lost a bit of the $400 Billion in funding that they might otherwise get, and another potential vote in Congress.

Good job. :thumbs:

Oh, one other thing... Answering the census is required by law. There is a $5000 fine for refusing to complete the census, and another fine of $500 for lying on the census form. Those laws haven't been enforced, but given how cash strapped the government is right now....

:doh

While I would probably have filled out the number of people living here I feel the rest of the information is information the federal government really does not need. Race for example. Why do they need to know race at all? I am american and that should be all that matters.

As far as funding. I would like to see the federal govenment stop funding many of the things they fund. Federal funding = redistribution of taxes that I am strongly against. I believe most of the services that are partially funded by federal funds are the states concerns and should be left to the state alone. With redistrubuting we encourage wasteful spending on state levels. States should be accountable for themselves and only themselves.

I really do not understand why people lie on this thing and you probably screwed your town getting funds due to lying. Nice job there.

Because he said he's black, the government will only give his town 60% of what it would have handed out?

While I would probably have filled out the number of people living here I feel the rest of the information is information the federal government really does not need. Race for example. Why do they need to know race at all? I am american and that should be all that matters.

The first question (number of residents in the household) is the only one that is required to be answered.

Yup. Answering about 5 vague questions is going to lead to the "New World Order". You know, the FBI could track you down anytime they wanted to anyway, so it's not like answering a bunch of ****ty questions is going to do anything for them. They already know who you are and could find out whatever they want, but they don't care (for obvious reasons).

Yeah, I have to agree with Kali, MyOwnDrum. I think it's rather sad that you are bragging about having lied to someone about something like this (Hi, let me start a thread bragging about my lying capabilties). Your kids must be so proud of you. It makes no sense to me.

Last edited:
The reason I lied was because of my irritation and exasperation with the government's race obsessed questions on this and every other form I fill out these days. I'm against it. I think it encourages racial/ethnic identity and discourages what I think of as the melting pot ideal. I disagree with the current government sanctioned, politician exploited group identity model. I think the government, instead, should encourage us to identify as Americans.

I think eventually this model will lead to what we see in other countries, with ethnic groups pitted against one another violently.

The reason I lied was because of my irritation and exasperation with the government's race obsessed questions on this and every other form I fill out these days. I'm against it. I think it encourages racial/ethnic identity and discourages what I think of as the melting pot ideal. I disagree with the current government sanctioned, politician exploited group identity model. I think the government, instead, should encourage us to identify as Americans.

I think eventually this model will lead to what we see in other countries, with ethnic groups pitted against one another violently.

I dunno. Why didn't you refuse to answer the questions about your race? I just think it's a horrible role model for you to show your kids that lying is okay if you disagree with the premise behind the question. But, they're your kids. I'm just glad my parents raised me differently.

Don't be too hard on Drum.

Down here in the rural South, we don't lie to 'em.... we shoot at them and see if we can nick them on the ear, or set the dogs on 'em. :mrgreen:

Bad role modeling for my kids? That's a laugh. What do they know about it? LOL.

I believe it's okay to lie to the government about crap like this, and to distrust them most of the time, btw. I teach my kids that they aren't bleating sheep and don't need to buy into the crap that comes down the government pipeline, but to think for themselves.

I think it's important to truthfully answer the census. I agree that the country has become to concerned with race and racial demographics, but regardless it's best to be truthful on the census.

Bad role modeling for my kids? That's a laugh. What do they know about it? LOL.

I believe it's okay to lie to the government about crap like this, and to distrust them most of the time, btw. I teach my kids that they aren't bleating sheep and don't need to buy into the crap that comes down the government pipeline, but to think for themselves.

LOL Your morals are entirely questionable, MyOwnDrum. So you teach your children to lie so that they aren't bleating sheep? Really? That is your rationale? Pathetic.

I never understand this mindset, especially from people who never shut up about "The founders"

The first official one was oversaw by Thomas Jefferson, you know, that founder guy. The need for it was mandated in that thing we call the Constitution, you know, the one written by those "founder" people. I absolutely love the laughably absurdity of some of the loudest "Founder Founder Founder" types bitching about their distrust as justification for ignoring a consitutional mandate placed there by the Founders.

Yes, lying about what race you are doesn't do a ton and doesn't affect the voting at least, but your attitude is hardly unique and it manifests itself in the fashion of just ignoring the census as much as lying (take a look at the posters dad talked about in this thread). Not to mention like it or not the stats within the census, you know that constitutionally mandated thing, are going to likely be looked at and used as the best estimate for a number of factors regarding the population and lying about it is going to do nothing but help raise the likelihood that actions made using what should be reliable information may end up not being effective, and thus a waste of your and my money, because you felt like a hot shot rebel trying to lie to the government.

The whole "screw the census" thing is the most idiotic political notion I've seen pop up in a while that's embraced by normally intelligent people.

Back
Top Bottom