• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

I know what I saw

JacksinPA

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U. S. A. 118, e2017543118 (2021)

Over the past several decades, evidence has accumulated showing that some nonhuman animals have conscious awareness. Some argue that despite high-level cognitive function, this may be occurring without conscious awareness of self. Unfortunately, we cannot ask animals to report their experiences. Ben-Haim et al. exploited the human faculty for crossover double dissociation between nonconscious and conscious processing and applied it to rhesus macaques. People perform in completely opposite ways when they are aware of stimuli compared with when they are not. In the authors' visual tests, the macaques showed nearly identical responses to those of humans, indicating that the monkeys reacted differently when they were consciously aware that they had seen a stimulus compared with when they were not.
===============================================================
I wonder what your dog really thinks about you?

Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U. S. A. 118, e2017543118 (2021)

Over the past several decades, evidence has accumulated showing that some nonhuman animals have conscious awareness. Some argue that despite high-level cognitive function, this may be occurring without conscious awareness of self. Unfortunately, we cannot ask animals to report their experiences. Ben-Haim et al. exploited the human faculty for crossover double dissociation between nonconscious and conscious processing and applied it to rhesus macaques. People perform in completely opposite ways when they are aware of stimuli compared with when they are not. In the authors' visual tests, the macaques showed nearly identical responses to those of humans, indicating that the monkeys reacted differently when they were consciously aware that they had seen a stimulus compared with when they were not.
===============================================================
I wonder what your dog really thinks about you?
Super cool article in the Smithsonian Magazine a while back.

I think historically, going back to the wolf, humans have domesticated wild dogs into the breeds we have today. Neat to think of them as having 'conscious awareness of self.' So we are back to my original question: what does your dog really think of you? And why do humans petize dogs? They may be good company but they aren't good conversationalists.

He thinks I'm an asshole for breaking the treats in half.

He still depends on you for those treats. Dogs have a hard time navigating Amazon.

He still depends on you for those treats. Dogs have a hard time navigating Amazon.
When I'm not online my dog sometimes licks the touchscreen of my laptop. I'm sure he's going to accidentally post something here one day.

I think historically, going back to the wolf, humans have domesticated wild dogs into the breeds we have today. Neat to think of them as having 'conscious awareness of self.' So we are back to my original question: what does your dog really think of you? And why do humans petize dogs? They may be good company but they aren't good conversationalists.
See if you can find the article. It talks about how dogs, after separating from wolves, adapted to humans. And how those adaptations reflected what humans 'want' from their dogs. Not my dog, but a dog 'smile'.
1618600688299.png

When I'm not online my dog sometimes licks the touchscreen of my laptop. I'm sure he's going to accidentally post something here one day.

Stranger things have happened. A few licks & you could wind up with a time share in some asshole place like Nicaragua.

See if you can find the article. It talks about how dogs, after separating from wolves, adapted to humans. And how those adaptations reflected what humans 'want' from their dogs. Not my dog, but a dog 'smile'.
View attachment 67328948

Dogs can be very strange. My next door neighbor just bought a Wheaton, which I had never heard of. It's a hypoallergenic terrier breed.

My buddy’s late dad was a golfer. He stated once that he preferred to play alone. “Mr. Bailey, why not a partner,” I asked. He answered, “next thing you know the SOB breaks into a conversation.”

I think historically, going back to the wolf, humans have domesticated wild dogs into the breeds we have today. Neat to think of them as having 'conscious awareness of self.'So we are back to my original question: what does your dog really think of you? And why do humans petize dogs? They may be good company but they aren't good conversationalists.

Many dog breeds only exist to serve a specific purpose - or used to before time made them more loving companions than trained volunteers. There is a reason certain breeds are selected by police and fire departments, service animal organizations, etc. Some dogs, of course, only exist to be loving pets even if their breed was created for a full-time job..

My buddy’s late dad was a golfer. He stated once that he preferred to play alone. “Mr. Bailey, why not a partner,” I asked. He answered, “next thing you know the SOB breaks into a conversation.”

It would be disconcerting at first to be able to have a conversation with your dog, find out how much you destroyed him by breaking his treats into pieces. Not nice to treat your best friend that way.

It would be disconcerting at first to be able to have a conversation with your dog, find out how much you destroyed him by breaking his treats into pieces. Not nice to treat your best friend that way.

They don’t converse but they do communicate.

116797087_1970117633122332_5004889793791168705_n.jpg

Give Elon Musk another few months & you will be able to converse with your dog. What's a few implanted electrodes among friends?

The pack nature of dogs - creating the loyalty to humans - is amazing. I know a person who had a real wolf. Absolute total loyalty, fanatically DESPERATE to never be alone. Absolutely intolerance of another human approaching without given clear approval - and even then held on a leash tightly. As demanding of attention as a child. BUT the owner MUST maintain her/his alpha role to the wolf. Once bonded, they can never be adopted by anyone else - bonded for life.

View attachment 67328948

I think I found that article. Interesting stuff. But the last line got me:

but seems to have no impact on the dog—who will still be hugged and praised and tummy-rubbed on the way out the door.

Interesting read. Thanks for sharing.

Known for a long time that a house wasn't a home until there was a dog in it.
But I think that's because growing up there always was a dog in the family.

It goes back to cavemen. A dog was a protector & a burglar alarm. A dog's bark can be very valuable.

Always said I wouldn't have a little dog, but my wife rescued one and I have to say that she is a pretty good substitute for a big dog (the dog not the wife). Unfortunately, the mutt (great way to go imo) looks like Jabba the Hutt's pet.

Always said I wouldn't have a little dog, but my wife rescued one and I have to say that she is a pretty good substitute for a big dog (the dog not the wife).
LOL. Knew what you meant there. :)
Unfortunately, the mutt (great way to go imo) looks like Jabba the Hutt's pet.
Being heavy for dogs is far worse them than it is for humans.

Always had large dogs. 100+ lbs. German Shepherds, Newfies, and lately Chesapeake Bay Retrievers ( think Lab +20% or so).
When my dad passed we adopted his German Shepherd, 9 years old, and at least 15 LBs over (he kept eating the other Shepherd's food).
Since he's been here, mid-last year, he's down to where he should be, so all's good.

Back
Top Bottom