• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

I just had some Milk of Amnesia

JacksinPA

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
I had a routine procedure at the hospital the other day & they knocked me out a with fast-acting but short-acting IV anesthetic agent called propofol. Technically it is very simple molecule 2,6-diisopropylphenol. When they injected it I complained about the burning sensation in my hand's veins. Then I was gone, waking up later ready to go home.

Propofol is a very interesting drug for a number of reasons. One is its simplicity chemically, so it is cheap to make. It also gives you retrograde amnesia, so you don't remember anything. Hence its nickname milk of amnesia.

This drug is also the agent that offed Michael Jackson. It wasn't the drug that killed him but the jerk who was supposed to be administering it.

How can you be sure?

;)

I had a routine procedure at the hospital the other day & they knocked me out a with fast-acting but short-acting IV anesthetic agent called propofol. Technically it is very simple molecule 2,6-diisopropylphenol. When they injected it I complained about the burning sensation in my hand's veins. Then I was gone, waking up later ready to go home.

Propofol is a very interesting drug for a number of reasons. One is its simplicity chemically, so it is cheap to make. It also gives you retrograde amnesia, so you don't remember anything. Hence its nickname milk of amnesia.

This drug is also the agent that offed Michael Jackson. It wasn't the drug that killed him but the jerk who was supposed to be administering it.
After my first retina surgery I had to go back the next day for a follow up. When the doc came into the room I said to him, nice to meet you. I remember going into the pre op room and them giving me an injection of something that I thought was doing nothing until I woke up after all was said and done. It sure does give you amnesia.

I have always wonder, if propofol was what Michael Jackson needed to go to sleep,
what was pushing the other way keeping him awake.

I have always wonder, if propofol was what Michael Jackson needed to go to sleep,

MJ was very odd, as you know. Propofol knocks you out & you can't recall anything, but I don't think you dream normally, which is a vital part of the sleep process.

How can you be sure?

;)
Of what? If you question how MJ died, use the Google & do some research. I'm not here as a reference librarian.

Propofol is like time travel. There's nothing in between counting down from ten and waking up however many minutes later. That isn't sleep, I don't think. It seems closer to the ceasing to exist theory of death.

MJ was very odd, as you know. Propofol knocks you out & you can't recall anything, but I don't think you dream normally, which is a vital part of the sleep process.
Yea, the times I have been under with Propofol, I do not think I dreamed at all, or at least did not remember!
It was like, warm sensation near the IV, and nothing until you wake up.
When my Dad had cancer, they told me before he woke, up and for the next few hours I had to tell him the found cancer,
about 6 different times. It is really difficult to tell someone they have cancer, doing it over and over again was painful.

After my first retina surgery I had to go back the next day for a follow up. When the doc came into the room I said to him, nice to meet you. I remember going into the pre op room and them giving me an injection of something that I thought was doing nothing until I woke up after all was said and done. It sure does give you amnesia.

They used to use a mixture of fentanyl & midazolam to produce a 'twilight' state where you are sedated by still conscious. I had an endoscopy 5 years ago & was conscious during the entire procedure. I thought it was interesting rather than terrifying, mainly because with the endoscope down my throat I was in no position to complain.

I've had both propofol and 'general anesthesia'. It took me about 2-3 days to fully be rid of the effects of the general anesthesia, but the recovery from propofol was almost
immediate once I was awake. Good stuff.

I've had both propofol and 'general anesthesia'. It took me about 2-3 days to fully be rid of the effects of the general anesthesia, but the recovery from propofol was almost
immediate once I was awake. Good stuff.

General anesthesia is usually a mixture of oxygen & an anesthetic agent. It is designed to be soluble in your blood, so it gets into your tissues & takes days to get rid of it.

His abuse of propofol was both interesting & puzzling. Apparently the MD who he had hired to administer it had stepped away & MJ's heart stopped or equally fatal. When you under propofol they have to give you oxygen or you suffocate,

This is the only instance I'm aware of this abuse.

He must have paid that MD lots because what he did was both unethical as well as illegal.

His abuse of propofol was both interesting & puzzling. Apparently the MD who he had hired to administer it had stepped away & MJ's heart stopped or equally fatal. When you under propofol they have to give you oxygen or you suffocate,

He must have paid that MD lots because what he did was both unethical as well as illegal.
I remember the MD was from here in Houston, I think he lost his license, but do not know if he went to jail.

Propofol is like time travel. There's nothing in between counting down from ten and waking up however many minutes later. That isn't sleep, I don't think. It seems closer to the ceasing to exist theory of death.

When you die it is exactly like turning off your computer. The brain is very much like a computer but it is based around biological circuits. What is alive in your brain is you. When you stop living your brain stops working. You are gone.

This is strictly my materialistic & deterministic view of things. I'm not concerned with life after death.

When you die it is exactly like turning off your computer. The brain is very much like a computer but it is based around biological circuits. What is alive in your brain is you. When you stop living your brain stops working. You are gone.

This is strictly my materialistic & deterministic view of things. I'm not concerned with life after death.
i've thought about the computer analogy a lot. however, i also realize that i don't know everything, or really anything, about the rules of that apply to the realm that we are in. could be that we switch off, and it's game over. it could also be something else. it's interesting to think about, to say the least.

The phrase "You had ONE job..." comes to mind.

You won't remember it anyway.

This is not the correct forum for sarcasm, at least not the subtle type!

Members who ask other members in this forum questions that they could easily look up themselves are misusing this forum. Reminding them of this fact is not sarcasm.

Mixing a lil lidocaine with propofol usually reduces the burning sensation but doctors and hospitals are too cheap.

My dentist uses a combo of midazolam and demerol that really leaves you in gaga land once you wake.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom